Announcement Important: How to properly quote from other websites

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
There are two issues, one legal and one technical.

Legal: Most news articles and a lot of other web contents are copyrighted, so please do not post quotes of entire news articles. We can still quote up to 2 or 3 paragraphs. Please always post a link to the source of the quote. Examples of web content that is not copyrighted is Wikipedia and Wikinews, although you should still post a link to the source. If you feel you need to post more of the content to get your points across, consider paraphrasing instead (i.e. write it in your own words).

Technical: Please put quotes inside QUOTE tags. (There is a button for it in the text editor menu.) Or in the very least indicate clearly what part of the post is a quote and which parts are your own thoughts. Also note that it's possible to keep the formatting, including text colour, size and font when you copy and paste. In fact, keeping the formatting is the default behaviour. However, please note that VV has different background colours in different styles, and that the text you paste may become hard to read or even completely invisible with some styles. To turn off formatting, click the little wrench/spanner button in the top right corner of the text editor area.

I'm not too hardline on enforcing the technical side of this, and occasionally I will just edit posts that don't display well in some styles. However, it's much appreciated if you can learn to do this yourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I used to cut and paste from an article and the format would be proper, but somewhere along the way it stopped doing that. Clicking on the AA fixes that, I think.

Let me test it out.
The History of the Lava Lamp
At 50, the legendary relic of the college dorm room is still groovy after all these years

Reactions: Second Summer