Immense Guilt over the Past

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
I feel like I’ve had past lives. I believe in them. Ever since I went vegan, I’ve been extremely emotional with guilt and self-hatred over who I’ve been. I’m like trying not to cry as I type this. I feel each of my lifetimes’ sins crushing me all at once.

Hey! There is nothing new in feelings like those. And not just because of pre-veganism.

We have recently been talking about T E Lawrence. After WW1 he spent the rest of his life being wracked with guilt because he felt he had betrayed the ideals and sacrifices of the Arab Rising. And that was after trying to make amends by doing his very best in supporting Prince Feisal at the peace negotiations.

Roger.

I feel like I’ve had past lives. I believe in them. Ever since I went vegan, I’ve been extremely emotional with guilt and self-hatred over who I’ve been. I’m like trying not to cry as I type this. I feel each of my lifetimes’ sins crushing me all at once.
Wait! What?

"Who I've been" refers to a few years ago or a few hundred years ago?

IMHO, you are too young to have accumulated so many sins. You have plenty of time to make up for them. And a good percentage of your life you were a kid. I don't think its fair to hold you responsible for things you did wrong when you didn't know better.

I guess it depends somewhat on your religion but I think most of the ones that include reincarnation - our past sins don't follow us. * For instance, I think if you really screw up you come back as a cockroach. But if you do a really good job you come back as a human. So you must have done a lot of good things. to come back as a human. Especially a Canadian. You could have been born in poverty in Syria. or Haiti. If you really do good in this life you get to become one with the universe or god or something. However, my theory is that if you really do good you get to come back as a house cat or maybe a labrador retriever. Anyway, that is what I would hope for.

Fun fact: One of the reasons Pythogarus became vegetarian was because he believed in reincarnation. He was afraid that last night's dinner might have been someone he knew. or worse he could be someone's dinner after he died. :)

* I am completely unqualified to discuss religions.

Wait! What?

"Who I've been" refers to a few years ago or a few hundred years ago?

IMHO, you are too young to have accumulated so many sins. You have plenty of time to make up for them. And a good percentage of your life you were a kid. I don't think its fair to hold you responsible for things you did wrong when you didn't know better.

I guess it depends somewhat on your religion but I think most of the ones that include reincarnation - our past sins don't follow us. * For instance, I think if you really screw up you come back as a cockroach. But if you do a really good job you come back as a human. So you must have done a lot of good things. to come back as a human. Especially a Canadian. You could have been born in poverty in Syria. or Haiti. If you really do good in this life you get to become one with the universe or god or something. However, my theory is that if you really do good you get to come back as a house cat or maybe a labrador retriever. Anyway, that is what I would hope for.

Fun fact: One of the reasons Pythogarus became vegetarian was because he believed in reincarnation. He was afraid that last night's dinner might have been someone he knew. or worse he could be someone's dinner after he died. :)

* I am completely unqualified to discuss religions.
That is such a logical way to look at it. Yeah, I’m Canadian. That says a lot. I have studied Buddhism for a few years, but I want to get more into the ancient Hindu traditions and really figure out what the ancients were doing in the Age of Right Dharma. Like yoga. Ayurveda.

Hi Pumpkin Spice,

In the Buddhist tradition, all living beings have karma - it's not just you. Reincarnation is the direct result of karma. If the rest of us didn't also have negative karma, we wouldn't have been reborn into the world.

If you follow the Christian tradition, then remember that Jesus the Christ forgives even the worst crimes, and frees people from guilt so that they can live virtuous, happy lives.

If you are more of an agnostic with past life beliefs, maybe you might consider assistance from a therapist? I went to a therapist in my 20s and 30s, and it was a huge help to me.

Disclaimer: I am also poorly qualified to discuss religion.

Hi Pumpkin Spice,

In the Buddhist tradition, all living beings have karma - it's not just you. Reincarnation is the direct result of karma. If the rest of us didn't also have negative karma, we wouldn't have been reborn into the world.

If you follow the Christian tradition, then remember that Jesus the Christ forgives even the worst crimes, and frees people from guilt so that they can live virtuous, happy lives.

If you are more of an agnostic with past life beliefs, maybe you might consider assistance from a therapist? I went to a therapist in my 20s and 30s, and it was a huge help to me.
I have a therapist in about an hour from now. First appointment with her. Kind of nervous and hoping that I’d get some insight in this from other vegans first

I was raised in an extremely strict evangelical family and I am about as far from that now as can be and very happy with that decision.

I tend towards the idea that we have chosen to come here (again and again) and we chose our roles each time in order to learn and grow. This time I was my mother's daughter and yet previously I may have been her mother or father. We may chose to be born in a poorer country or a into a rich way of living and so on....

We may also tend to have soul groups, various souls/people that we make agreements with to play different roles in different lifetimes.

Is this true? I have no idea if it is and yet it feels logical to me and also brings me a great deal of comfort. If I suspect that I chose to be here to experience this craziest ever year then I find it easier to go with the flow, try to learn lessons, share light and love and take one day at time.

Guilt and self-hatred have no role in this scenario as you had lessons to learn and new ways to grow and learn about love. We all make mistakes within this lifetime and I am sure in other lifetimes too. Mistakes make us self-aware and have brought us to who we are today, and that is a wonderful thing.

Emma JC

You're not the only person who has developed their compassion and empathy to feel this way. I know I was a very different person years ago, especially before becoming vegan. And yes, like you I also feel guilty about my "previous lives."

Reactions: Emma JC