I'm new here

Hazelsqueak

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi people. Nice to be here. :)

Some stuff about me:

I'm a dietary vegan for all the reasons.

I grew up on a small family farm so I've seen things/done things to animals that I deeply regret and I am totally against animal farming now, even small farms. Unless it's a farm sanctuary or where people just have the animals for company.

I agree with most animal rights related issues, but not all. For example, I don't believe cats should be vegan. Dogs sure...but not cats. A minor issue since I'm allergic to cats and can't have one for a pet anyway.

My parents are convinced I'm going to die from veganism but I take all my vitamins so I'm not worried. My dad thinks there are specific proteins in meat you can't get from plants and I don't really know how to convince him otherwise. He's old and set in his ways lol

I've been an anti-greyhound racing activist for 20 years and it is kind of my main focus when it comes to animal rights. There was a track not far from where I lived in the 80's and 90's and they would take the losing dogs out to a field, let them run loose and then make a game of shooting them. Nobody cared and nothing was ever done about it. So yea..I think that was really where my animal rights mindset started, even though I was just a little kid at the time. So if you want to talk to me about anything greyhound related I'd love to.

Welcome!

Sound like we agree on a lot as far as animals go.

I don't know of any greyhound racing in my area but the state I live in (Missouri) is apparently the biggest puppy-mill state in the US :(

What kind of activism stuff do you do?

Reactions: betiPT
I mostly do letter writing, sign petitions, and give money to animal charities that I like. I live in a small town plus I work night shift, so not much I can do as far as going out and like, protesting in front of horse race tracks or something. But every little bit helps!

Reactions: betiPT and Sax
Welcome to the forum Hazel! Always glad to see those with a farming background make the connection.

Reactions: betiPT
Hello everyone, I am a new member in this "veganforum". We will have a healthy discussion in this forum.

hi pleased to read your account and seeing the light change.

Since you mention animal rights...and mention you do not think cats should be fed vegan but do not have a cat...i just correct that with 2 points.

1. i like many have healthy vegan fed cats so there is nothing lacking in their diets that would be provided in animal based foods.

2. the 1st principle of veganism and animal rights is...that animals are not ours to use....so that includes pet food.

owning pets is not vegan in fact since it is logical that animals should lead free of human controls lives.

Gary Francione 6 principles of veganism are a suggested good read.

All the best !