I'm a bad vegan :(

Amanda Margaret

Neophyte
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan newbie
Became vegan a couple of months ago. Keep messing up.

I know newbie vegans are known to make a mistake, but I keep making the huge mistake of ASSUMING certain things are vegan and being like WHY WOULD THAT NOT BE VEGAN and than proceeding to eat it without checking the ingredients. It's so stupid and I could simply look at the ingredients, but sometimes I just ASSUME something is and than I realize after that it's not. I don't know if it's my brains way of being like I NEED DAIRY SO LET'S PRETEND NOT TO CARE (not that I actually WANT dairy) or if I just need to train myself to look at ingredients for EVERYTHING.

I'm not really asking anything here. I guess I'm just mad at myself for not being more responsible about checking.

bratvada

Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Don't beat yourself up about it. Take it slow, and gradually you will know intuitively what you can and can not eat.

Keep going. :)

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Yes, you need to train to brain to consider veganism every time you use a product or pay for anything. Don't have to be perfect, the more the better.

Sometimes, you just have to create a habit. I am trying to train my brain to consider recycling possibilities before throwing any item into the main trash bin, for instance.

Sally

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I always go shopping with my reading glasses in my pocket so I can read the small print. It's really hard to just look and say that's vegan. Some makes can be vegan and the same product by another company won't be. Also ingredients change, Jammie Dodgers were vegan and now they aren't. You need to be constantly vigilant. The best thing is to keep asking for vegan products, ask the shopworkers if something is vegan, often they don't know what you mean, which is great as you can educate them, it also makes them aware that there is a requirement for more vegan stuff on the shelves. So there is an upside to not knowing as you can help others learn alongside you. :)

Mark Mywordz

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan newbie
For about 6 months now I have been training myself to avoid "products", anything made in a factory, especially if it's sold in a packet. Making stuff from scratch is easy after a while and tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, porridge etc. are pretty safe wherever you buy them. I also avoid sugar and sweeteners, except stevia. I think: If I am going to go to the trouble of eating vegan, it makes sense to keep it simple. I don't eat anything my grandmother or even great grandmother couldn't have eaten. I am suspicious even of vegan products such as Cheezly and vegan margarine. But I intend to try nutritious yeast as a substitute for cheese in some dishes.
You might have fewer problems if you go back to basics and I think it is a far healthier approach to vegan eating.

BronxVegan

Neophyte
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
What helped me was finding a partner who was also vegan. Being vegan was so much harder when I was trying to do it alone. My partner keeps me in check and makes sure to go over the labels twice when we go out and buy things. You need to find some type of motivation that would help you stay on the right path. Hope you succeed.

---------------------------------------------
Be one less person harming animals - thatbronxvegan.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ámbar New vegan - bad digestion Support 7
M Vegan, pregnant and having bad food aversions? Support 1
Jinendra Singh Is vegan-friendly fashion actually bad for the environment? General 0
D Comrade/friend/peer - need assistance, vvent vegan. bad situation. Support 0
hippyman Bad vegan experience Transitioning 8
C Need Help Convincing Parents that Vegan Diet is not Bad General 7
D A BAD VEGAN DIET VS GOOD OMNIVORE DIET Health & Body 5
M New Vegan (1 Month) Experiencing Bad Acne! Health & Body 2
Leanne New Vegan really bad hair loss Health & Body 7
Hog How bad is the coronavirus? Philosophy 6
Mork Good & bad news! China will be eating less cat & dog meat General 2
Lou News Dairy Butter-Bad For The Planet Environment 0
M We need advice! my wife is in bad shape Health & Body 11
B What do we mean by "processed"-Is it really that bad? Food & Drink 16
Z Wheat bran: good or bad? General 8
Andy_T Direct Action Everywhere (DxE)-good or bad for veganism/or animals? Philosophy 45
nobody Opinion: Dairy is just as bad or worse General 1
S The good, the bad, and the depressed Support 6
Sax "don't make vegans look bad" Animals 18
Jinendra Singh Is eating meat bad for your soul? Philosophy 10
M Bad cream cheese Products 2
R Question BAD COLDS Ask Us a Question! 1
Tamsingray89 Veganism and my bad experience thus far General 18
M Bad digestion Health & Body 6
H Beans making me feel bad General 21
L Water treatment is bad for the evironment Environment 3
robert99 Remember those bad dudes, the Taliban? USA 0
Blobbenstein Is boredom the source of all bad things? General Discussion 18
Amy SF TV & Film 30 Hilariously Bad Moments in Closed-Captioning Media & Entertainment 3
Indian Summer Health & Medicine Butter good, margarine bad? Science & Technology 22
Blobbenstein TripAdvisor couple fined £100 by hotel for bad review Lounge 8
Indian Summer Rats shown to feel regret over bad decisions Animals In The News 2
Indian Summer Technology You know it's bad when ... Science & Technology 5
Ann Chovie Caught in a bad credit report trap Lounge 8
thefadedone Bad Graphics Card Science & Technology 4
thefadedone 8 Ways Becoming A Vegetarian Is Like A Bad Breakup The Vegetarian Forum 4
das_nut Why poor people make bad decisions General Discussion 186
R The bad reputation The Vegetarian Forum 40
R Bad guys portrayed as dumb General Discussion 24
R US Presidents blamed on the bad economy General Discussion 28
alligatortears Are magnets bad for phones? Science & Technology 4
CrowCaw TV & Film Breaking Bad Media & Entertainment 80
Kitties Bad Spoiled Tofu Food & Drink 11
shyvas Is Milk Bad for Cats Animals 28
sallyomally Don't Wanna Mess With This Bad Boy or The Killer Shrimp Animals In The News 7
peacefulveglady Health Issues Bad toe nails Health & Body 8
H vegan for life Introduce Yourself 3
David3 Usher switches to vegan diet General 1
Kirtisharma Looking for Vegan Perfume Products 1
H Nutrition & Diet Dr Greger/Stroke/Vegan Health & Body 7