If you don't know if something is vegan is it ok to eat it?

Unicorn

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
As a vegan you find yourself with the option to eat something. It's just you and the food. It could be that your not an expert on how that particular dish was made, it could be foreign food, or any other scenario. Even after taking a bite your not sure if it contains milk, dairy, eggs or any other ingredient which you may prefer not to eat. You don't know if it's more likely that it is vegan or more likely that it's not. If you don't know if it's vegan are you excused to eat it. After concluding that you don't know if it's vegan is it ok to eat it?

Reactions: Lou
Its more likely to not be vegan because they like to put animal products in everything. If you ask and they can't tell you, then I would assume it probably has animal products.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
To me, this is a very personal decision.
While I avoid animal products, there are exceptions I make, such as, I still take vitamin D3. Long story, yada yada, I have a big bottle. There are personal products I'll buy, like shampoo and lotion, that only confirm no animal testing.
I will also eat things that I am not certain of containing products, as long as it isn't flesh. Like where ingredients might contain egg, dairy components or even gelatin, depending on the circumstance
I do not call myself vegan, I will usually say 'mostly' as I will not intentionally choose any animal products.

We have other threads that discuss this
When I first made the decision to be vegan I was very strict. I referred to lists that questioned everything, both in food and products. Would abstain from things if there was uncertainty of things such as mono or di glycerides being sourced from animals or plants. After hearing more thoughts on the importance of this 'personal purity' and what truly matters in the fight for animal rights, or even welfare, I have considerably loosened my stance

What is a constant peeve of mine is for people who call themselves vegan make these kinds of exceptions, but instead of simply acknowledging them for what they are, instead insist that they fall under the vegan catagory. For instance, saying geletine, honey, eggs from humane sources, are ok for vegans to consume. They are not vegan, as they all involve taking from animals. THe difference in my mind is that by acknowledging them as not vegan makes it more likely to look for other options

Another big factor is your ability to stay vegan. This differs in location, in social structure--who else you are involved with for shopping, preparing meals, and your income. I would be far more judgemental in someone of means then a struggling family in Utah, for example

Here's the other thread that discusses this:

A question of conscience. If I can assume that the product is clean, okay - it's important to at least try to get this information

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Danielle