If we accept evolution theory-Meat-eaters are cannibals

Oluwamuyiwa

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Where did man come from? How did man find himself on earth? Does man have a Creator? These are still questions that invade my mind from time to time. I was taught about evolution theory in High school, never seem to accept it. Maybe because I was brought up in a Christian home, where we read the bible which says God created man and woman. I did believe and still believe that man was created, which makes evolution theory out to be an hypothesis to me. I will try to use reason to investigate, I believe man has a mind to understand the truth, even though it's subjective, the truth should make sense when it's heard by all parties. For example, we all know that if you throw a ball up in the air, it's definitely going to come back down. It's the truth, and we all agree because it can be confirmed with an action and reaction.

Charles Darwin is considered one of the greatest mind in the world, but we must accept that he can be wrong about somethings. But I am not here to disagree with him, I am only going to use his theory to support my resolve that those that believe in evolution and eat animal products are cannibals. Please don't be surprised, you can disagree with me, but hear me out first. I believe we all know about the evolution theory (Darwin proposed that species can change over time, that new species come from pre-existing species, and that all species share a common ancestor), in simple terms; that animals such as Apes evolved into humans over millions of years ago. If that is so, then animals today are our ancestors and siblings, so why are we eating them?

Now, you might say, the animals you eat are not Apes, they are cattle, chickens and domesticated animals. Let me inform you about a recent occurrence in my country, certain hunters went into the forest and shot down Chimpanzees, Orangutans. Orangutans and Chimpanzees are part of the Ape family, so they qualify as Apes. They didn't stop there, they butchered these animals and made them into a meal, just to satisfy their flesh cravings. How sad is it, I would share some pictures to confirm my story (viewers discretion is advised).

I have been having a hard time reconciling the effects of such actions, killing a fellow animal just to eat their flesh. Such animals have kids too, they have families too, why deprive them of their fellow kind? I know I am speaking to my fellow Vegans, that this platform isn't the place I am supposed to even post this, but I know we all have friends and families that still consume meat. I became aware of vitamin B12 on this platform, but the honest truth is, people don't eat meat for the vitamin sake, they eat for pleasure sake.

N.B. The first picture is a painting I made of the transition between man and Ape, showing that the evolution theory was just a fiction like that of Werewolf.

Attachments

• Cyril Emmanuel, Myth of Evolution, 2021.jpg
    Cyril Emmanuel, Myth of Evolution, 2021.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230129-144735.png
    Screenshot_20230129-144735.png
    567.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230129-144843.png
    Screenshot_20230129-144843.png
    578.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I'm. pretty sure that the definition of a cannibal is someone. that eats the flesh of his own species.

Although many cultures have taboos of various kinds against eating various animals. Eating apes is considered taboo by many cultures.

Yes, you are speaking to a crowd of other people who all feel the same way, although we each got here by different paths. We are all sad about the behavior of our fellow humans and all trying to make a difference in our own small way.
I have heard before about this kind of hunting. Animal agriculture and this kind of hunting both bring a feeling of disappointment that humans can keep this up when we have better options and are capable of doing better.
So this is where we come to commiserate and be reminded that at least a few other people see what we see.
As to the rest of humanity--maybe they are afraid of change, afraid of the discomfort that comes with confronting reality.

Last edited:
I understand the feeling that all creatures are our kin, given we all had a common origin under the theory of evolution. But the eating of creatures by other creatures is the very basis of biodiversity - it is baked in, so to speak. It is only through competition for resources that life evolves into its myriad forms, so eating each other is inherent in the very existence of species. And given that species diversity is very broad, any kinship is, to all intents and purposes, irrelevant. I don't even think there is anything particularly wrong with eating other animals, but rather that our ideas here in a vegan forum emerge from the peculiar modern context in which we find ourselves. So Why Veganism?

um... also if you trace evolution back far enough, all life is related to us. So forget about plants, too.

I understand the feeling that all creatures are our kin, given we all had a common origin under the theory of evolution. But the eating of creatures by other creatures is the very basis of biodiversity - it is baked in, so to speak. It is only through competition for resources that life evolves into its myriad forms, so eating each other is inherent in the very existence of species. And given that species diversity is very broad, any kinship is, to all intents and purposes, irrelevant. I don't even think there is anything particularly wrong with eating other animals, but rather that our ideas here in a vegan forum emerge from the peculiar modern context in which we find ourselves. So Why Veganism?
So why veganism?

Let me start off by contending with your claim of biodiversity. Because animals eat themselves, doesn't mean we have to follow suit. Animals have brain to know how to survive, but it's not for intelligence. Man is the only animal with a brain capable of intelligence, therefore he is called higher animal. Why then should man act like one who lacks the intelligence to understand what veganism entails, even when many animals adopted plant-based diet?

Because an action is done by the majority, doesn't make it right. Some animals eat other animals but in contrast, many others do not eat other animals.

Now, the eating of animals only adds to the chances of extinction of such animals, take for instance, the bird called Dodo. Due to its body frame, it couldn't evade predators.

If you say you you don't think there is anything wrong in eating other animals, it shows that you are yet to figure out what veganism means, until you figure it out, you would always succumb to pleasure

So why veganism?

Let me start off by contending with your claim of biodiversity. Because animals eat themselves, doesn't mean we have to follow suit.

No we don't but that doesn't mean that animals eating animals is somehow wrong. Obligate Carnivores literally have no other choices.
Animals have brain to know how to survive, but it's not for intelligence. Man is the only animal with a brain capable of intelligence, therefore he is called higher animal. Why then should man act like one who lacks the intelligence to understand what veganism entails, even when many animals adopted plant-based diet?

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean in that paragraph. but I'm pretty sure Man is not the only animal capable of intelligence.

I think it was Author/researcher Frans de Wall who said, we are not smart enough to gauge animal intelligence. there are examples of squirrels who keep track of hundreds of acorns* and there is that monkey in Japan who solves memory problems faster than people can. plus lots of other examples of lots of other animals who show intelligence.

*I can't even keep track of the TVs remote.

Because an action is done by the majority, doesn't make it right. Some animals eat other animals but in contrast, many others do not eat other animals.

Well, it's not like I would recommend looking at the animal community for examples of how we should behave. Although for the most part that probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Most animals are nicer people than most people. but there are animals who steal, rape and murder each other. So that doesn't make those actions right.

Just because someone else does something doesn't make it right - or wrong.
Now, the eating of animals only adds to the chances of extinction of such animals, take for instance, the bird called Dodo. Due to its body frame, it couldn't evade predators.

Actually in a healthy ecosystem, the prey/predator relations tends to reach an equilibrium. The deer/wolf relationship here in the Western US has been very well researched and documented. Without wolves the deer over populate and then die of starvation and disease. I bet its something similar with lions and ... zebra.

The dodo went extinct because it lived on an island and didn't have many predators.
If it wasn't built for success in its habitat it would never have evolved. Then white men showed up. A familiar story in the extinction book. It might have been hunting by men, or maybe the animals that got imported (cats and dogs), or maybe just plain old habitat destruction.

If you say you you don't think there is anything wrong in eating other animals, it shows that you are yet to figure out what veganism means, until you figure it out, you would always succumb to pleasure

well, I agree that eating animals is wrong - but I don't consider it canabalims. And calling Carnists canibals is not going to get you anywhere.

I have been having a hard time reconciling the effects of such actions, killing a fellow animal just to eat their flesh. Such animals have kids too, they have families too, why deprive them of their fellow kind? I know I am speaking to my fellow Vegans,
This quote is what spoke to me in the original post.

What I meant before when I said yes, you're speaking to an audience who feels the same, is that those who would choose to come here are generally people who will understand, and share, your distress and your sadness. I know that I cannot dwell on it, without risking my own sanity.

As to humans being natural omnivores, I feel the question of whether we evolved that way or were created that way is less important than the fact that we have also evolved/been created to have minds that are capable of seeing the results of our own actions, and what is more, in the present day, we are (astoundingly!) capable of finding ways to live that can provide our material bodies with what we need while doing less harm to our fellow creatures.

I might also add that while I believe that humans are naturally omnivorous (I know we don't all agree on that point, but that is ok), I also agree with your point that a lot of meat consumption is gratuitous. Even if people in past times needed some animal food to live, many people today consume more of it than is really good even for their own health, and that is also a sad thing.

Last edited:
I might also add that while I believe that humans are naturally omnivorous (I know we don't all agree on that point, but that is ok),

I think the controversy is interesting. Some of it is fueled by ignorance or wishful thinking.
Although I think there are good arguments and evidence that if you go back far enough our ancestors probably did eat very similarly to the great apes but we have contiunued to evolve and modern man is "naturally" an omnivore.

Modern man can choose to be a vegan.

You´re right, I disagree, because you parted from a wrong assumption: As mentioned before, cannibalism is defined as eating one of your own species, you can narrow that to if you can reproduce with it then you are from the same species. Also, we haven´t evolved from Apes, we both, humans and apes come from a common ancestor, Silvapithecus; furthermore, all living things evolved from one only organism, LUCA (last universal common ancestor), so if we were to take your definition, then vegans would also be cannibals.

You say people eat meat just for the taste, what about prejudice, ignorance and poverty? Do you make your vegan meals only for nutrition, or are you addicted to a good taste as well? Eating as any phisiological necessity is designed to be pleasurable, just like sex, going to the bathroom or doing exercise; that doesn´t make you an addict.

I don´t like that you call men the higher animal, it shouldn´t matter if all living things deserve the same respect just because they exist, right? But I don´t get why you accept that it´s natural for carnivore animals to eat meat but it´s wrong for humans, omnivore animals. It´s not right or wrong but a choice. I´ll tell you what is wrong, unhuman conditions in the raising of livestock and the treatment to them. There are compounds only found in meats, but they´re so minimal that the effects of these substances in the human body hasn´t been studied. This is after all, an ethical choice. But does it mean vegans have moral superiority? We then go back to naturalism vs morals.

I´ll leave a study as well were it was found the creation of tools necessary for hunting lead to our brain development, and this brain development would cost us about 20% of our energy, while other apes about 8%, so we shortened our colon (it´s shorter than that of other apes) in order to save energy and move towards an omnivore diet, we assimilate better Iron from hemoglobine and assimilate worse high fiber foods. We don´t have fangs of course, but we don´t need it because we have fire.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lou
No we don't but that doesn't mean that animals eating animals is somehow wrong. Obligate Carnivores literally have no other choices.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean in that paragraph. but I'm pretty sure Man is not the only animal capable of intelligence.

I think it was Author/researcher Frans de Wall who said, we are not smart enough to gauge animal intelligence. there are examples of squirrels who keep track of hundreds of acorns* and there is that monkey in Japan who solves memory problems faster than people can. plus lots of other examples of lots of other animals who show intelligence.

*I can't even keep track of the TVs remote.

Well, it's not like I would recommend looking at the animal community for examples of how we should behave. Although for the most part that probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Most animals are nicer people than most people. but there are animals who steal, rape and murder each other. So that doesn't make those actions right.

Just because someone else does something doesn't make it right - or wrong.

Actually in a healthy ecosystem, the prey/predator relations tends to reach an equilibrium. The deer/wolf relationship here in the Western US has been very well researched and documented. Without wolves the deer over populate and then die of starvation and disease. I bet its something similar with lions and ... zebra.

The dodo went extinct because it lived on an island and didn't have many predators.
If it wasn't built for success in its habitat it would never have evolved. Then white men showed up. A familiar story in the extinction book. It might have been hunting by men, or maybe the animals that got imported (cats and dogs), or maybe just plain old habitat destruction.

well, I agree that eating animals is wrong - but I don't consider it canabalims. And calling Carnists canibals is not going to get you anywhere.
I agree with majority of your replies, but disagree with a few. It's true man isn't the only one capable of intelligence but man is the only one capable of reason.

You mentioned the wolf/deer relationship as regards population, but what is overpopulation when man is turning fertile lands into commercial zones, cutting down trees and destroying habitats that's supposed to provide food for the growing deer population. Coincidentally, the reason you are giving for the need for the prey/predator relationship, was the same reason an hunter gave to justify her reason for hunting in a video I saw sometime ago. It's basically subjective!

I don't consider eating animals cannibalism because I don't believe in evolution theory, I was only trying to create an allegory by poking holes in a theory that's only an hypothesis to me. And I wasn't planning to convince no one to give up eating meat, never even asked my family to consider it. It's a choice, and everyone needs to find his/her reason not to eat meat.
You´re right, I disagree, because you parted from a wrong assumption: As mentioned before, cannibalism is defined as eating one of your own species, you can narrow that to if you can reproduce with it then you are from the same species. Also, we haven´t evolved from Apes, we both, humans and apes come from a common ancestor, Silvapithecus; furthermore, all living things evolved from one only organism, LUCA (last universal common ancestor), so if we were to take your definition, then vegans would also be cannibals.

You say people eat meat just for the taste, what about prejudice, ignorance and poverty? Do you make your vegan meals only for nutrition, or are you addicted to a good taste as well? Eating as any phisiological necessity is designed to be pleasurable, just like sex, going to the bathroom or doing exercise; that doesn´t make you an addict.

I don´t like that you call men the higher animal, it shouldn´t matter if all living things deserve the same respect just because they exist, right? But I don´t get why you accept that it´s natural for carnivore animals to eat meat but it´s wrong for humans, omnivore animals. It´s not right or wrong but a choice. I´ll tell you what is wrong, unhuman conditions in the raising of livestock and the treatment to them. There are compounds only found in meats, but they´re so minimal that the effects of these substances in the human body hasn´t been studied. This is after all, an ethical choice. But does it mean vegans have moral superiority? We then go back to naturalism vs morals.

I´ll leave a study as well were it was found the creation of tools necessary for hunting lead to our brain development, and this brain development would cost us about 20% of our energy, while other apes about 8%, so we shortened our colon (it´s shorter than that of other apes) in order to save energy and move towards an omnivore diet, we assimilate better Iron from hemoglobine and assimilate worse high fiber foods. We don´t have fangs of course, but we don´t need it because we have fire.

Firstly, I gave an opinion which you don't need to agree to, I have come to the realization that opinions are subjective, and it varies due to one's experience or exposure. I know perfectly well what cannibalism means, you don't need to post it's dictionary meaning, I only implied to paint an allegory using a theory I consider an hypothesis.

About eating for the taste, I used my meat eating experience as a criteria, I was speaking from my past indulgence. I went on an escapade of eating any rare animal the hunter I patronized killed, I ate cheetah just for the taste of eating it. And that's one out of the numerous animals I have eaten. I also speak from a standpoint where I observe what actions people around me take now that I am conscious about what I eat. I see people acting like I used to do, I do not discriminate nor point fingers, I am only realizing how irrational I had acted when I wasn't conscious about what I eat.

Now, when I became a vegan, I wasn't even concerned about the nutritional side, I basically just told myself that I am done with animal products and I need to eat only to survive. I became aware of certain nutrients and vitamins on this platform, which has prompted me to consider eating varieties of plant-based products the same way I used to eat animal products. This shows to me, that taste is only optional, food for me is just for survival. And because anyone eats for pleasure, I never called them an addict, only meant that they were ruled by their taste buds.

Why don't you like that I call man an higher animal, isn't he not? Look around you today, look at what man has achieved, tell me another animal that has achieved what man has. Doesn't that logically place man on the top of your supposed food chain (one chart I detest as a form of justification for gratification). And I never said it's natural for carnivores to eat meat, please go and read my opinions again. In terms of this topic, I am drawing my information from a text you might not find relevant, therefore I won't reveal it's name, but I would paraphrase quotes from it. In all animals to have exist, man has subjugated all, that's another reason why man can be classified higher animal. I have seen videos where carnivorous animals were tamed, though I do not know what their diet is, I am sure that if a cat which is part of the cat family can be domesticated, so also a Lion or any wild cat.

Honestly man, I am not up for an argument, I only wish to engage my readers and read views different from mine in an education style. Not aiming to put you in the wrong while I prove myself right, I only wish to reason. Yes I agree with you that the inhumane way animals are reared for slaughter is wrong, but what has that changed? Nothing. The animals are still been subjected to torture and murder, all in the name of meat.

There are certain things you claimed, I want to challenge you to ask yourself, Why have the Apes stopped evolving?

The biological definition of omnivore is the ability to obtain nutrition from both plants and animals. Humans can formulate their nutrional needs from just plants. They can also digest and get nutrition from flesh--but can't survive solely on meat
Carnivores require protein and many vitamins (vitamin A, taurine.....) already formulated from animals, and can't properly digest plants, although they do get vitamins from the stomach contents of herbivorous animals
Herbivores can't digest flesh, and require plants

So yes, humans are omnivores biologically, but not necessarily dietary

I think you misunderstood what I meant. ALL animals eat other living things. It is entirely natural to do that and it is the way that the web of life works. There is nothing right or wrong about this, it's just how it is. And long ago, that's how it was with us too. What I was getting at is that as I think about it, veganism is a modern idea - probably no more than a few thousand years old - that emerged from the changed context in which we have found ourselves since we developed agriculture and unearthed fossil fuels. It is a moral idea about how we behave, not anything whatsoever to do with nature. And it is only possible because as you point out, we seem to be very different from the other animals. I suspect veganism is impossible for even the most intelligent of the other animals. If civilisation collapsed tomorrow, no-one would be vegan anymore. It's an IDEA, nothing more, and it is an idea about us in the modern world, not the other animals. The question I asked, So Why Veganism, was a link to a blog post in which I explained my thinking about this. So, I like to think I have figured out what veganism means.

I agree with majority of your replies, but disagree with a few. It's true man isn't the only one capable of intelligence but man is the only one capable of reason.

You mentioned the wolf/deer relationship as regards population, but what is overpopulation when man is turning fertile lands into commercial zones, cutting down trees and destroying habitats that's supposed to provide food for the growing deer population. Coincidentally, the reason you are giving for the need for the prey/predator relationship, was the same reason an hunter gave to justify her reason for hunting in a video I saw sometime ago. It's basically subjective!

I don't consider eating animals cannibalism because I don't believe in evolution theory, I was only trying to create an allegory by poking holes in a theory that's only an hypothesis to me. And I wasn't planning to convince no one to give up eating meat, never even asked my family to consider it. It's a choice, and everyone needs to find his/her reason not to eat meat.

Firstly, I gave an opinion which you don't need to agree to, I have come to the realization that opinions are subjective, and it varies due to one's experience or exposure. I know perfectly well what cannibalism means, you don't need to post it's dictionary meaning, I only implied to paint an allegory using a theory I consider an hypothesis.

About eating for the taste, I used my meat eating experience as a criteria, I was speaking from my past indulgence. I went on an escapade of eating any rare animal the hunter I patronized killed, I ate cheetah just for the taste of eating it. And that's one out of the numerous animals I have eaten. I also speak from a standpoint where I observe what actions people around me take now that I am conscious about what I eat. I see people acting like I used to do, I do not discriminate nor point fingers, I am only realizing how irrational I had acted when I wasn't conscious about what I eat.

Now, when I became a vegan, I wasn't even concerned about the nutritional side, I basically just told myself that I am done with animal products and I need to eat only to survive. I became aware of certain nutrients and vitamins on this platform, which has prompted me to consider eating varieties of plant-based products the same way I used to eat animal products. This shows to me, that taste is only optional, food for me is just for survival. And because anyone eats for pleasure, I never called them an addict, only meant that they were ruled by their taste buds.

Why don't you like that I call man an higher animal, isn't he not? Look around you today, look at what man has achieved, tell me another animal that has achieved what man has. Doesn't that logically place man on the top of your supposed food chain (one chart I detest as a form of justification for gratification). And I never said it's natural for carnivores to eat meat, please go and read my opinions again. In terms of this topic, I am drawing my information from a text you might not find relevant, therefore I won't reveal it's name, but I would paraphrase quotes from it. In all animals to have exist, man has subjugated all, that's another reason why man can be classified higher animal. I have seen videos where carnivorous animals were tamed, though I do not know what their diet is, I am sure that if a cat which is part of the cat family can be domesticated, so also a Lion or any wild cat.

Honestly man, I am not up for an argument, I only wish to engage my readers and read views different from mine in an education style. Not aiming to put you in the wrong while I prove myself right, I only wish to reason. Yes I agree with you that the inhumane way animals are reared for slaughter is wrong, but what has that changed? Nothing. The animals are still been subjected to torture and murder, all in the name of meat.

There are certain things you claimed, I want to challenge you to ask yourself, Why have the Apes stopped evolving?

I want to clarify a concept in sciences, scientific knowledge isn´t something that is definitive and true, nothing in science is, we know things, for the time being. So a theory in science is just an organized set of concepts with certain properties that are observable and verifiable, but they could be wrong, it´s a probable option; meanwhile a hypothesis is an organized set of concepts with certain properties but they can´t be verified, so hypothesis are speculative, theories are not. I just used the basis of the very theory you brought up to show why meat-eaters are not cannibals. I linked some definitions and the study for you to not trust me but verify for yourself if you wanted.

I misunderstood, you only wrote flesh craving, I thought it was like a compulsion but I looked for the precise definition and it´s not like an addiction. I don´t like calling humans the higher animals because for me veganism should be a horizontal realationship between humans and all living things, not like a vertical realationship, that is one reason why humans keep on abusing and torturing animals. Higher in intelligence, yes, but not in value, what about strength, endurance, physical senses? We´re then lesser than other animals. We might be better suited for survival but does that make us better than animals? Why?

I assumed carnivores eating meat was right for you because you said human is the only animal capable of reasoning, so how can you judge an animal for surviving? Then why not judge a ruminant for killing the grass? Or the plants to compete for the sun and nutrients in the grass? How about cordyceps or parasites who kill their hosts? They don´t know better, there´s no point in moralizing animals as there´s no point in humanizing them, they´re not human.

About evolution, it´s not a has been, it´s happening, it´s just too slow, it depends on gene mutations that can manifest with each new generation. For instance, humans can be born with 6 fingers or both reproductive organs, they will have it harder to have a family and reprodcue their genes, so these mutations die with them. That´s evolution as well: Whatever reproduces, reproduces, and whatever doesn´t, doesn´t. I don´t know how will apes keep evolving, but they might as well be at their local best, tis means to evolve a trait that may benefit them more, they´d first have to go through some traits that wouldn´t benefit them, and you can´t evolve to something worse than you are right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Oluwamuyiwa

Please refrain from promoting meat-eating here. This is a vegan forum.

Please refrain from promoting meat-eating here. This is a vegan forum.
Please quote me specifically to justify your comment, or refrain from twisting my words.
I see you didn´t care to read the article I linked but it just mentions the possible role of meat in human evolution. That and our phisiology would make us omnivorous, it doesn´t mean meat is needed anymore since there are now technological solutions for the major possible deficiencies.
This a vegan forum, but you are inquisitorial, I see you´d rather see someone call another a cannibal with no justification than me sharing an academic article.

Last edited:
Reactions: g0rph and Lou
Please quote me specifically to justify your comment., or refrain from twisting my words.
I see you didn´t care to read the article I linked but it just mentions the possible role of meat in human evolution. That and our phisiology would make us omnivorous, it doesn´t mean meat is needed anymore since there are now technological solutions for the major possible deficiencies.
This a vegan forum, but you are inquisitorial, I see you´d rather see someone call another a cannibal with no justification than me sharing an academic article.
C'mon man, this is not a contention for who is right or wrong. Let's just refrain from agitations that arise from giving our personal opinions. We are here to motivate one another and not point fingers. Just let it slide and let's stick to the forum's aim and vision.

Reactions: FoodMaster777
Please quote me specifically to justify your comment, or refrain from twisting my words.
I quote from your post above:

"But I don´t get why you accept that it´s natural for carnivore animals to eat meat but it´s wrong for humans, omnivore animals. It´s not right or wrong but a choice. "

Humans eating animals is wrong - it's an act of terrible and unnecessary violence.

I quote from your post above:

"But I don´t get why you accept that it´s natural for carnivore animals to eat meat but it´s wrong for humans, omnivore animals. It´s not right or wrong but a choice. "

Humans eating animals is wrong - it's an act of terrible and unnecessary violence.
Oh okay, but I didn´t mean it as a promotion. I only mentioned it´s not wrong from a natural perspective, but yeah I think you could argue that since we´re ethical beings it´s wrong from that perspective because we know better, that´s why I asked about naturalism vs morals; I also agree that it´s cruel and unnecesary.

Reactions: Lou