Ideas for a Short Break Abroad in March

Underdog

Friendly neighbourhood vegan
Reaction score
Looking to get away early to mid March and am looking for somewhere veggie friendly and safe for a solo female. I've so far been to Berlin (going back in March) and Barcelona (not my scene)...

Stuff I like:
- History (especially 20th century)
- Good vegan food and beer
- Cheap museums
- Walking tours
- Photography
- Beautiful architecture
- Calm and friendly atmosphere

Stuff that ain't my scene:
- Places which have a huge amount of people who go solely for hookers and drugs
- Too many crowds
- Too much traffic
- Holidays overly focused on consumerism (I hate shopping)

So yeah... A budget, chilled out weekend somewhere safe and interesting. I'm a confident person and have no issues making friends with other travelers. Will be staying in hostels.

Any ideas?

I don't know where you live at the moment, but have you been to north Wales? We spent a weekend there during Easter a couple of years ago, and stayed at a vegetarian B&B. Lots of the great outdoors, and they've got museums and castles too, though we didn't have time to visit any of those. Probably not exotic enough though for a native UKer...? (We live here too, but we're bloody foreigners.)

Not too far but I went to Edinburgh a while ago and had a really good time. There are several vegetarian resteraunts, not that I got to eat in any as I was with a fussy omni. Theres loads to do, loads of walking/hills/the castle/the optical illusion museum/etc.

The only other place I've been since being Vegan is Amsterdam (and Disneyland paris but that doesnt really count does it). I know its known for its hookers, but honestly I was suprised at how.... contained the hookers/drugs are. I had in my head this image of tourists wandering down the street with massive spliffs, but other than smelling it when you walk past a "cafe" then theres nothing really, and the red light district is pretty contained too. Loads of historic things to look at too - Ann Frank's house is a must. I was with the same fussy omni again so cant really comment on the veggie places although I had no problem eating in most omni resteraunts. There was quite a lot of traffic though, I almost got hit by a tram too many times to count haha.

We also spent a weekend in York last year and it was lovely. Not "abroad", but pretty far from either London or Wales. :D I really loved Dubrovnik when we were there too. If you go in March, I'd think it would be even better as we went in September and it was occasionally crowded (mostly just on the bus). Loads and loads of history, plenty of places to walk, nice beaches and good value for money. There are a couple of vegetarian restaurants too (and a Mexican place that made us veg food). I don't really know about the beer, but I'm sure there is something vegan; you'd just have to do a bit of 'net research ahead of time.

Brussels was surprisingly vegan friendly as well. There is loads and loads to photograph and more man-made beauty and history than you could devour in a lifetime. We were only there a couple of days, but it was enjoyable, only lacking good beaches.

I haven't been, but I'd love to visit Llubljana/Slovenia. I picked up some random travel book about the city a few years ago at a charity shop and I was hooked. :)

Booked an overnight bus and Hostelle (women's hostel, but not too central) in Amsterdam..

Wanna do it on the cheap, so will be using the hostel's kitchen and bringing porridge sachets for breakfast, will bring flapjacks and may buy some bread there...

Any advice on good and affordable places to eat, or visit would be appreciated.