Idea for customized popcorn

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Vegan popcorn options are limited. I have tried to pop my own in a steel pot and it works, but I get a greasy film all over the stove & counter afterwards. Today, I had an idea. What if they made a microwave popcorn bag that you could fill with your own ingredients and pop it like the pre-made ones you find in grocery stores? Well, they do make such a thing. Searching on the internet for popcorn bags won't get you the right kind of bags (that only brings up the cutesy bags you eat it from). The right search term is microwave cooking bags.

Anyways, if this works out, it will open up a whole new realm of possibilities. I plan to try and make spicy hot cajun popcorn, curry popcorn and cheezy popcorn (using Leahy's vegan powered cheese). I can use Earth Balance or olive oil.

I found the bags on eBay and just ordered them. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Mmmm... spicy hot cajun corn...:lick:

Reactions: Calliegirl
I use a hot air popper and then I sprinkle on a little sea salt and nutritional yeast for added delciousness.

I've used an air popper before and drizzled oil/butter. The drizzling, to me, was not consistent and just made individual kernels soak up too much oil and others got nothing. One idea I have thought about, but haven't tried is after air popping, spraying with those cans of spray oils. This might be a good option if my customized microwave bag idea doesn't go great.

RabbitLuvr, maybe you are using some kitchen gear better than I was. I used a big aluminum pot with a lid that I slightly offset to let air pressure release. Maybe the slight offset let out the oily film?

Anyways, the bags have been ordered and I'm going to do some testing. At the very least, I hope to get some customized popcorn that I just can't get from store bought or even available online.

dude, all you need are brown paper lunch bags. Put in popcorn, drizzle in oil, and pop.

Exactly! :) I don't even use oil. I do have to add melted EB and nutritional yeast after it's popped.

Really? My prefered meathod is air popping. I feel that using the air popper is just as fast as microwave popping, and I have more consistant control over how much salt/butter/etc gets put on. Unless bf gets to it first - he will drown it in an entire stick of melted butter. :eyeroll:

I used to air pop until my machine broke, so I went to the microwave/Brown lunch bag method. I put a little melted earth balance or coconut oil in the bag with the kernels and a little Mrs Dash seasoning and shake it up and nuke it. I don't use salt, but others add it after. I want some now.:D

Reactions: KLS52
Me too! I never thought to add the melted EB in the bag with the kernels. I guess I could add the nutritional yeast then, too. I have to try it. As much as I love salt, I don't seem to need it on my popcorn. :)

RabbitLuvr, maybe you are using some kitchen gear better than I was. I used a big aluminum pot with a lid that I slightly offset to let air pressure release. Maybe the slight offset let out the oily film?

I don't vent the lid, I just leave the lid fully on while popping. I think if you leave the lid on for any amount of time after it's done, it can make the popcorn chewy, but I take the lid off right when it's done.

I don't care for the texture of air popped popcorn, it seems like styrofoam to me. It could be because I don't usually add anything except salt to popcorn. (When I pop it in the pan, the popping oil is enough for me.)

I don't vent the lid, I just leave the lid fully on while popping. I think if you leave the lid on for any amount of time after it's done, it can make the popcorn chewy, but I take the lid off right when it's done.

I don't care for the texture of air popped popcorn, it seems like styrofoam to me. It could be because I don't usually add anything except salt to popcorn. (When I pop it in the pan, the popping oil is enough for me.)

I also keep the lid completely covering the pan.

This thread has made me crave popcorn ever since being created.

Nordicware makes a nifty microwave popcorn popper. Supposedly if you put oil or whatever on the bottom while you pop with it the oil distributes over the popcorn so it doesn't come out dry. I dunno though, because I just melt margarine and drizzle it after it pops. I like when a few kernels get drenched, so no problem there :)