I love beans! How about you?

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Brak loves them, and I do too.

What are your favorites? I always have pintos cooked and in the freezer-I use them for chili,soups,bean burgers,re fried, or just with a side of cornbread. I absolutely adore garbanzos for many reasons;hummus,mock tuna,roasted as snacks, in salads or just with salt and pepper. I use cannellini for salads,soups and mixed with pasta. Great northern beans make very good vegan baked beans. Black goes for anything Mexican-enchiladas, tostadas,beans and rice. What else?

Reactions: thefadedone
I usually have some manner of beans that I cook up and pop in the freezer. It's cheaper and healthier than canned beans and I portion them out so it makes quick dinners easy. I love homemade hummus, indian lentil curry (also freezes well), bean burgers, beans with barbecue sauce or in mexican dishes, or even just mixed in with some sauteed veg. Lentil salad is another great option during the warmer months especially. Seasoned beans on a nice big salad is a good standby these days too.

Chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, and lentils are my favorites but I don't think there's one I haven't liked. I always buy dry beans also because it's way cheaper than the canned.

Cranberry beans are pretty common around here also. They take awhile to cook though and lose that pretty marble color while cooking.
Cranberry-Beans1-505x336.jpg

Reactions: sallyomally
Lentils are my favorite, and chickpeas. I like black beans, pinto beans, cannelini beans, kidney beans. I like beans...never had cranberry beans, though.

Interesting info:

Counting Beans
One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained
One pound dry beans = six cups cooked beans, drained.
One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans.
One cup dry beans = three cups cooked beans, drained.

There are black beans and chickpeas in the salad I'm eating at the moment. I love them. Also red kidney beans are a regular around here. Refried beans are great. I've had some really good homemade baked-in-the-oven beans. Great Northern beans are good, too. I've never really liked lima beans but it's been a long time since I had them so I may try'em again. Oh, also green beans. NOM

I used to like lima beans when I ate Campbell's vegetarian vegetable soup (not vegan cos' of the alphabet noodles, I think). They were tasty in there. Never had them otherwise.

Reactions: thefadedone
I love beans! I keep dried chickpeas, black turtle beans, white haricot beans, aduki beans, black eyes peas and puy lentil, red lentils and chana dal on hand at all times. Plus cowboy beans. i do always keep a few tins cowboy beans(baked beans in sauce like Heinz) I buy them in bulk so we always have some about. We used to use tinned beans but i really think ones you cook yourself taste soooo much better. I've got some black eyed peas on the stove soaking to cook when i get home today ...I plan several recipes for the week using the beans cook up a big batch and then store in the fridge and use over the week.

We used to pay £1 for a tin of black turtle beans. i can get a bag of dry beans for 99p that makes the equivelant of 6 tins.

I even make fat free brownies (black beans), blondies (white beans), shut ups (made with black eyed peas) duckflaps (like blondies but with oats and chickpeas) using beans!

I love beans! I keep dried chickpeas, black turtle beans, white haricot beans, aduki beans, black eyes peas and puy lentil, red lentils and chana dal on hand at all times. Plus cowboy beans. i do always keep a few tins cowboy beans(baked beans in sauce like Heinz) I buy them in bulk so we always have some about. We used to use tinned beans but i really think ones you cook yourself taste soooo much better. I've got some black eyed peas on the stove soaking to cook when i get home today ...I plan several recipes for the week using the beans cook up a big batch and then store in the fridge and use over the week.

We used to pay £1 for a tin of black turtle beans. i can get a bag of dry beans for 99p that makes the equivelant of 6 tins.

I even make fat free brownies (black beans), blondies (white beans), shut ups (made with black eyed peas) duckflaps (like blondies but with oats and chickpeas) using beans!

Good stuff. I would love to venture out and try something new,like aduki beans. What are haricot? Your brownie names are most awesome! Are the recipes on your blog?

My favourite ones are pinto beans however it is virtually impossible to buy them overhere. I also like black beans espcially in salads and torillas.

My favourite ones are pinto beans however it is virtually impossible to buy them overhere. I also like black beans espcially in salads and torillas.

Hmmm... you should sign up for the Secret Santa exchange come November.I hear he likes pinto beans.:yes:

It's similar to the fall exchange we're doing now (check the veganism section),except instead of a bag, we'll send a box of goodies. So much fun!

I have to admit to loving the sauce or juice or whatever it is in the canned black beans. I guess you're supposed to rinse that off, but I like to use it, especially when I have beans & rice.

While I usually have a can or two of chickpeas around for when I'm too lazy (or short on time) to cook them, I do have dried as well. Lovely for making a huge batch of chickpea salad or hummus.

It is said of Pythagoras and his followers that they forbade the eating of beans. I admire his achievements in the areas of science, but I can't see what is so wrong with beans, the magical fruit!