I just found out today that the only reason meat contains B12 is because livestock are supplemented.

Meyersaurus

Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I am literally so furious right now.. I just read an article that 90% of all the B12 supplements produced in the world are fed to livestock, because they don't naturally contain it. Is this a joke? This was literally the main "argument" thrown at me my entire life, the only point about the health of a vegan diet that I never knew how to fully debunk.

Last edited:

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
"Cattle and other grass-eating animals get B12 and B12 producing bacteria from clumps of dirt around the grass roots that they pull up. Chickens and other birds get B12 from pecking around for worms and other insects. These animals store B12 mostly in their livers and muscles and some B12 pass into milk and eggs.
But, cattle no longer feed on grass and chickens do not peck in the dirt on factory farms. Even if they did, pesticides often kill B12 producing bacteria and insects in soil. Heavy antibiotic use kills B12 producing bacteria in the guts of farm animals. In order to maintain meat a source of B12 the meat industry now adds it to animal feed, 90% of B12 supplements produced in the world are fed to livestock."

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Whenever someone questions me about veganism (which seems to be a daily occurrence) and they mention no B12 - i usually reply 'well, actually the most 'natural' way to get b12 is to eat our poo as this contains B12 - animals get B12 from supplements' - they usually back off on this topic after that

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Amy SF Jeffrey Epstein Found Dead In Apparent Suicide Ahead Of Child Sex Abuse Trial General Discussion 4
J Hello, glad i found you General 6
shyvas Nutrition & Diet Plastic Particules Found in Humans - Study Health & Body 0
Jinendra Singh Veganism found to be the best diet for weight loss Health & Body 3
Blues UK supermarkets being investigated as meat found in vegan meals UK & Eire 5
shyvas News Animal Activist Found Dead - Kenya Animals 0
alexgonevegan Just found out Food & Drink 5
P Rarely seen form of mad cow disease has been found in alabama Animals 0
shyvas News 1000 Chicks Found Abandoned - UK Animals In The News 3
shyvas News Missing Wedding Dress Found UK & Eire 0
MadamSarcastra Weird crap you've found in your food Food & Drink 19
robert99 Paris terror arrest after gas tanks found in Notre Dame car Other Countries 10
robert99 Hey! America has found some more people to bomb! USA 1
shyvas Baby Found Floating Out at Sea ! Lounge 9
Blobbenstein MRSA superbug found in supermarket pork raises alarm over farming risks Animals In The News 1
Connie What foods/snacks have you found that are vegan? Products 3
shyvas News Baby Found Abandoned in a Drain General Discussion 3
Blobbenstein News Four years of excruciating seizures caused by the 1cm tapeworm found burrowing through a man's brain General Discussion 6
R Bird found with 24 foot wingspan Animals In The News 6
beancounter US Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: If found guilty - what should be his sentence General Discussion 23
Indian Summer Spirituality Satanic coins found hidden in stave churches Social Sciences & Humanities 5
Wolfie "The requested user could not be found" Suggestions & Bugs 5
Amy SF Animal Advocacy Animal rights activist an apparent suicide, found dead in car with dozens of dogs Animals 15
shyvas Baby Girl Found in Boot of a Car Lounge 5
Photojess HI everybody, I just found you! General 29
Calliegirl North Korea Says It's Found a 'Unicorn Lair' General Discussion 9
das_nut 11,000 rape kits found in Detroit General Discussion 2
D Vegan food items found at Aldi's Frugality 92
Hog Ingrid Newkirk Autographs My Book Today General 2
Lou News Dr. Gregar gets some publicity from Today. Health & Body 3
Emma JC News article today on CNN-Macho vegans General 0
wfpbcanadiangal47 Oh gosh.....i had a milk product today :( General 4
Emma JC News new article today on CNN Health & Body 6
Emma JC News Livekindly News out today General 81
Lou Today's Bing Photo of the Day is a Tree Museum Lounge 13
Forest Nymph Today in Climate Change News Environment 4
betiPT What did you Cook or Bake Today? Food & Drink 141
Lou Today I learned... Animals 0
TofuRobot Tried to save a pigeon today... General 7
Meyersaurus Argument i had today: plastic is more sustainable than paper Environment 24
shyvas What did you cook or Bake today? Food & Drink 485
Emma JC 2 interesting news items today General 5
Lou Vegan news today Lounge 1
Amy SF Today’s Google search discovery Lounge 63
Mischief Today I saw - Lounge 3
Mark Mywordz UK Almost free today James Wong book on nutritious food Frugality 0
PTree15 Today's Vegan Menu General 111
Katrina What did you cook or Bake today? (2018) Food & Drink 289
M Today i started the transition to vegan... what should i expect? Transitioning 4
Damo What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today? Food & Drink 1109