I don't own a computer...

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
I am allowed to use the computer at my workstation only occasionally for non-work-related things (company policy, which is perfectly reasonable). Here's the thing: I might be retiring in a few years, which means I will no longer be reachable at my workstation computer's IP address. Will this be a problem? My private email account has that as my IP address also; I don't know if I'll have to cancel it.

I could afford a computer of my very own, and am reasonably knowledgeable about them (although not so knowledgeable as many). I owned a computer in the 1980s and decided I just don't want one anymore. I'm hoping I'll be able to access the two message boards I'm on, as well as my email. Otherwise maybe I'll send all my online friends my phone # and street address. Or maybe not- there was one message board I used to be on, and after it shut down, we soon lost contact with one another, even though we exchanged email addresses.

How about buying a cheap smartphone or tablet that doesn't do much but will allow you to access the internet? You'll need wifi but with a mobile device and a cheap wireless printer, you should be fine.

I'm not sure I understand ... So you're worried about not being able to log in to these forums if you change computers? As long as you remember your password, you can just log in again. If you're worried about using a connection without a fixed IP address, then just allow your browser to remember the username and password, and it will use those stored credentials when needed. (I don't think it will even prompt you to OK it when it needs them again.)

It's not changing computers that might be a problem- I access VV from different computers now. I just thought someone had to have an email address to belong to a message board.

When I set up my private email account, I had to give a web address I could be reached at- and if I don't own my own computer after I leave my place of employment, I won't have a web address. I tried contacting my private email provider site support to ask them, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. So, I don't know if this will be a problem or not.

It's not changing computers that might be a problem- I access VV from different computers now. I just thought someone had to have an email address to belong to a message board.

When I set up my private email account, I had to give a web address I could be reached at- and if I don't own my own computer after I leave my place of employment, I won't have a web address. I tried contacting my private email provider site support to ask them, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. So, I don't know if this will be a problem or not.
You can just make gmail or yahoo email account maybe?

So, are you saying you can't open, like, a yahoo email address? I opened several and don't recall having to give them a web address but I might not be understanding the situation.

So ledboots and I have the same idea...she beat me to it by 30 seconds!

Reactions: ledboots
It was a long time ago, but I think I had to give Yahoo my work email address when I set up my account with them.

Maybe I'm just worrying/obsessing over nothing. (wouldn't be the first time....)

It was a long time ago, but I think I had to give Yahoo my work email address when I set up my account with them.

Maybe I'm just worrying/obsessing over nothing. (wouldn't be the first time....)
You can set up an email account with Google and other free email service providers without having another existing email address. Or a fixed IP address. Or anything at all, really! These days they might ask you for a cellphone number, so they have some way of giving you access to your account if you lose or forget your password. But that's usually optional.

Indeed. Setting up a new email is very easy, and if you have a smartphone/tablet, you can easily set it up to receive the private email there.

And then you should go to Yahoo and change your default email address from the company email to your new private email, so if anything happens and you get locked out of your yahoo account, you can receive a new password to your private email or phone.

You might consider to get a second-hand laptop or tablet, if you do not have very high computing requirements and only want to surf the internet or send and receive emails. Those are normally much cheaper than if you go for the latest and greatest. I find that a good (and large) screen is possibly the most important thing there. So while a tablet is more portable, a 17 inch screen laptop makes reading easier (but is also more cumbersome to lug around, of course). Also, tablets (e.g. iPad) typically do have longer battery life. If you do not need a keyboard to type, they are very good overall devices.

Another advantage of iPads is that they are really easy to use. Not many settings you can make, no system files you could accidentally delete and so on. If you do not have to type much, they are near perfect.

At home, I invested in a 24 inch external LED monitor to make work much easier than on my laptop, but that is because I sometimes have to manipulate huge Excel tables or similar.

Last edited:
I have had the same yahoo email account for nearly 20 years and I don't know how many computers I have gone through in that time frame! :D I agree that a low end laptop or chrome book or tablet would be suitable for basic internet use. Perhaps a smartphone would be an option as well; though then you would probably have a higher monthly bill than just internet/wi fi.

You should try it now, as a test. Just create a simple, easy to remember one, like Ilovecats@yahoo.com. Your password can be meow. Lol [emoji4]

You may have to throw in a capital letter and/or a character. They make it a little harder now, for more security.

I have this, it does everything, just find some wifi
2c5f4e35707a901297e78c66376f926e.jpg

$40 on amazon
Called Amazon Fire

Reactions: Chryssie