Question I am already a *decent* vegan but how can I go fully raw?

Uranian

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello! I am new here. :) Although, I am not at all new to veganism. I have been vegan for right about 3 years now, but on/off being fully raw. I still eat vegan superfoods and oreos...haha! I don't judge myself too hard for eating the occasional processed, junky, foods but I have wanted to go raw for some time now.
However, every time I try to go fully raw I end up really doing my body a disservice and not getting all of my nutrients in. I get light headed and very cold. I try to eat as much of a diverse plant based diet as I can, but it is really difficult for me because I find I am always losing energy.
Are there certain fruits/vegetables that I should always make sure I am eating? How can I make sure my hormones are stabilized while being raw?

I'm curious as to why you want to go raw if it doesn't seem to work well for you. :???: Perhaps a well-balanced diet that contains both raw and non-raw would meet your needs better.

eta - I sincerely don't mean this as a snarky post, I'm really curious.

We don't get much talk about raw veganism here, do we?
I'm also curious- some people swear by raw as being helpful with health conditions, or performance, mental clarity.
On other forums some people have really thrived, but it seems to have taken a lot for their bodies to adjust, as well as changing your meal schedules. Cost can be a big factor depending where you live and how easy it is to grow your own

Reactions: KLS52
I'm curious as to why you want to go raw if it doesn't seem to work well for you. :???: Perhaps a well-balanced diet that contains both raw and non-raw would meet your needs better.

eta - I sincerely don't mean this as a snarky post, I'm really curious.

Why do I want to go fully raw? Because it would be cheaper and more convenient for me. I would have more to put in my composter as well. And, eating as much raw foods as I can helps to keep my diverticulosis at bay.

We don't get much talk about raw veganism here, do we?
I'm also curious- some people swear by raw as being helpful with health conditions, or performance, mental clarity.
On other forums some people have really thrived, but it seems to have taken a lot for their bodies to adjust, as well as changing your meal schedules. Cost can be a big factor depending where you live and how easy it is to grow your own
Yes, these aspects are what I am looking for.

Why do I want to go fully raw? Because it would be cheaper and more convenient for me. I would have more to put in my composter as well. And, eating as much raw foods as I can helps to keep my diverticulosis at bay.
Hi Uranian
I'm vegan but not raw vegan. My son and daughter-in-law eat more raw than my husband and I, and the non-raw that they do eat is very much on the healthy side. No oil, no sugar or other sweeteners, no processed juice, etc, so I have some small ideas on this.

First, you have to get in enough calories, or you will feel weak and cold. Just like when people first go vegan from omni, they often accidentally undereat. Transitioning to raw is like that, too. You don't have to stuff in 30 bananas a la freelee, but it's hard to get enough calories in on raw without feeling really stuffed. Fats have more calories, and are vital for nutrition, so you have to eat things like avocados, and nuts and seeds are good, too--but may be difficult for you, with the diverticulitis.

It is hardest in the winter if you live in a cold place, hard for many to stay warm on raw for some reason, plus it's more difficult to get all the produce that time of year.

The other issue is the expense. Unless you grow your own, I'm not sure how raw could be cheaper than a regular healthy vegan diet. Rice, beans, white and sweet potatoes, other root veggies, etc, are so cheap, while fruits and fresh vegetables are pretty expensive comparatively, at least where I live (and it's Florida, so local produce year round).

So for enough calories on raw, smoothies help, as you can have a lot of fruit in there, and add things like chia seeds. Also, just eating often is helpful. My son is a 6 footer and an athlete, so needs a lot of calories, and it seems like he is eating something most of the time he's awake :D.

I don't know any good resources on raw to point you to, sorry. Maybe Fully Raw Christina on YouTube? I think she lives in Hawaii, though, which is kind of cheating, with all that fruit! :D

Anyway, best of luck, and eat eat eat! :)

Edit: I see you have diverticulosis, not -itis, apologies.

Reactions: Second Summer

I'm not too sure about going raw would work out cheaper or be more convenient. Lightly cooking and storing food is also inexpensive and convenient. If you're feeling tired you may not be getting enough protein,fat and calories.

I would suggest that you follow a raw vegan blogger. In that way you will be able to pick up lots of useful advise and tips:

This Rawsome Vegan Life: ABOUT ME

Reactions: ledboots
Perhaps this might help.
Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets Kindle Edition
by Brenda Davis Vesanto Melina Rynn Berry (Foreword)
Have a look inside the book, especially the table of contents, and read the reviews. I think you need a book like this. Only you can judge if it is exactly what you want. It costs £6.68 in Kindle format.