US I am a Meat eater-Attenborough has made me question my choices..

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I am currently a person who loves eating meat A LOT, but David Attenborough has made me question my choices.....Help!

Hi, i'm Nick and am currently a person who truly loves eating meat, but after watching David Attenboroughs documentary on Netflix...I am questioning my decisions. I don't know if i want to go full vegan, but I truly love this planet a lot and want to try my best to help preserve it. I believe that with reducing the amount of meat I eat it would at least in some way affect things in a positive way, though I doubt it....i'd still like to try. I want to have discussions, but MAINLY, I am here looking for DELICIOUS RECIPES that are meat free. Please be nice, I am here trying my best just like all of you, I am a flawed human open to learning. May I add that i truly respect all of you for what you are doing, I know you are doing it out of love.

Hi, Nick!
That is so cool. A lot of people have been affected by Attenborough's docs. Which one did you watch?

I can't remember where I heard it this: we need to take care of our planet. It's the only one we have.

You changing your eating habits will do little to improve the environment. But its good to start somewhere and your own selections at the supermarket is a good place to start.

If Cowspiracy and What the Health are still on Netflix you should watch those.

As far as recipes and meal ideas go, the Vegan Forum has a million of them.

We have a whole forum of recipes and the Food Forum is full of food related info. The Whatcha Eating thread is where we just tell people what we had to eat every day.

You can also search for some ideas. For instance if you search for "Pasta" you will find at least 20 recipes.

Last year I discovered a website and app called CopyMeThat. Go ahead and check it out. It makes clipping recipes super easy. It is also pretty good for finding vegan recipes.

Welcome! Lots of recipes on this forum and elsewhere online. I made one of my favorites tonight - brown rice with sauteed bell pepper, jalepeno, carrot, cabbage, and broccoli. Topped with garlic, cilantro, soy sauce, peanut sauce and lime juice.

I've been doing soft tacos lately with refried beans (sprinkled with taco seasoning or simply ground cumin and paprika), black beans, shredded lettuce, pickled jalepeno, diced tomato, mexican style hot sauce and cilantro/garlic/lime juice.

I wasn't sure I wanted to go fully vegan either but after a couple months transitioning I just didn't see a reason not to. Hopefully you'll find it easy too, good luck!

I am currently a person who loves eating meat A LOT, but David Attenborough has made me question my choices.....Help!

Hi, i'm Nick and am currently a person who truly loves eating meat, but after watching David Attenboroughs documentary on Netflix...I am questioning my decisions. I don't know if i want to go full vegan, but I truly love this planet a lot and want to try my best to help preserve it. I believe that with reducing the amount of meat I eat it would at least in some way affect things in a positive way, though I doubt it....i'd still like to try. I want to have discussions, but MAINLY, I am here looking for DELICIOUS RECIPES that are meat free. Please be nice, I am here trying my best just like all of you, I am a flawed human open to learning. May I add that i truly respect all of you for what you are doing, I know you are doing it out of love.
Welcome Nick,
David Attenborough is Very inspiring! So glad that he has helped you to think about how you can help our planet...
One person reducing their meat consumption does help because you are part of the trend of Many people cutting down or completely eliminating meat from their diet... If enough people change - then - what is produced will change...

For myself, I was at a retreat centre where meat was not being served - after not eating it for a few months I realized that I didn’t miss it and simply Never ate it again...
It took me about 2 years more and then I also quit eating or drinking dairy products...
That was over 30 years ago...
There might not be a Lot that I can do to help the Animals or to prevent Climate change, but by being Vegan I know that I am at least Not doing harm...
Hope that this forum gives you more inspiration and ideas...

welcome Nick

This will be a journey for you, most likely, as it has been for most of us. I became aware of the cruelty to animals and to the downside to my health, years ago, and tried a few times over the years to change my habits. Finally 4.5 years ago I/we changed over completely after realizing that starches are great for you and tasty and comforting and don't need to be avoided. Lots of protein available in most plants and especially in beans, tofus, tempeh etc as well as in all the new vegan substitutes like Beyond Meats, Gardein, and so many others.

One of the big things to keep in mind is that whatever you currently flavour your "animals (meats)" with you can use those same flavours on plant-based foods and receive the same satisfaction.

Awareness of the issues for animals and the environment are the first step and cutting back gradually may be the right path for you or if you decide to go 'cold tofurkey' then we are here to help however we can.

If you go to the threads Watcha Eating and also to Supper/Dinner Time you will get an idea of what some of us eat regularly.

All the best with your decisions moving forward and it will be interesting to follow along on your journey, if you choose to share it with us.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com