Hyundai sees vegan backlash over super bowl ad

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I didn't watch the whole SuperBowl and did not watch all the ads either.
So I was surprised this morning when this headline made it into my News Aggregator.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hyundai-sees-vegan-backlash-over-super-bowl-ad-2019-2

I've gone back and seen the commercial. It was not very funny even before they got to the vegan dinner party. and I didn't find it that offensive. IMHO, it's just a stupid commercial. but then it's been pointed out to me that sometimes these kinds of things do influence what people think.

I don't know if this merits any kind of discussion but I thought you might want to have the "facts" before someone asks you about it at the water cooler or where ever.

BTW, there was also a Carl Jr's/ Beyond Meat commercial during the SuperBowl.
And PETA had billboards and planes trailing banners with vegan messages in Atlanta. I think they even passed out vegan chicken wings.
Not to mention, Tom Brady just launched a vegan supplemental protein powder product line.

Most vegan SuperBowl ever?

Let's go Vegans! Let's go!

If vegans are complaining about this then they are probably promoting Hyundai for free, which was possibly even Hyundai's plan all along.

Still, it brings veganism into the headlines again which is not a bad thing either.

Still, this news did not register when I looked at other sites, before I came to a vegan site.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
PETA is telling people not to buy Hyundais and to take a look at a Mercedes Smart Car instead.

As a vegan not really sure why anyone is actually upset with this to begin with. It didn’t bash the lifestyle in anyway. If anything it would be a mild chuckle and it will be forgotten about in a week.

Anyone else think that beetloaf looked amazing?

This is a silly thing to be outraged about. But any excuse to get people talking about veganism is fine with me.

Anyone else think that beetloaf looked amazing?

This is a silly thing to be outraged about. But any excuse to get people talking about veganism is fine with me.

That's a good attitude
I think PETA sometimes pretends to be outraged - just to get people to talk about it. But sometimes I don't see the whole picture.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
That's a good attitude
I think PETA sometimes pretends to be outraged - just to get people to talk about it. But sometimes I don't see the whole picture.

Yes, PETA pretends to be outraged. Ingrid Newkirk is some sort of marketing genius, she was studying to be a stockbroker or an accountant before she moved on into full time animal rights activism. There's a whole video where she talks about the PETA strategy, and one of her best quotes is basically summarized as I don't care if you don't like me as long you as pay attention to what is happening to the animals. She thinks it's good when people get angry or offended because it makes them think or talk about the subject.

Reactions: Lou
Yes, PETA pretends to be outraged. Ingrid Newkirk is some sort of marketing genius, she was studying to be a stockbroker or an accountant before she moved on into full time animal rights activism. There's a whole video where she talks about the PETA strategy, and one of her best quotes is basically summarized as I don't care if you don't like me as long you as pay attention to what is happening to the animals. She thinks it's good when people get angry or offended because it makes them think or talk about the subject.

Yes, absolutely. but I think Dan Matthews deserves a lot of the credit for PETA's strategies and marketing techniques. I heard him speak in an interview. He said that when he joined PETA is was mostly crazy old cat ladies. He helped to put PETA on the map.

Yes, absolutely. but I think Dan Matthews deserves a lot of the credit for PETA's strategies and marketing techniques. I heard him speak in an interview. He said that when he joined PETA is was mostly crazy old cat ladies. He helped to put PETA on the map.

He deserves credit certainly for using nudity as an idea to draw attention since he developed the "I'd Rather Go Naked" campaign. But that same campaign drove well-known activist Gary Francione away from PETA , and has nothing to do with the landmark law cases that Ingrid Newkirk and Alex Pacheco won in the 1980s. Ingrid Newkirk was apparently exactly like she is now back in the late 70s and early 80s, when she barely knew Gary Francione and walked into his house and poured his gallon of dairy milk down the drain without further ado. Neither Francione nor Pacheco are "ladies" though they may be crazy about cats, so Matthews sounds a bit full of himself tbh.

But to give credit where credit is due, his ideas were good and I definitely think Matthews brought a new generation into PETA.