Hybrids/EVs-21% of California new sales/2021

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Per the California New Car Dealers Association (CNCDA), hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and fully electric vehicles together comprised 21% of all new vehicles sold in California during the first half of 2021: California New Car Dealers Association Releases Second Quarter Auto Outlook – California New Car Dealers Association

From the CNCDA's report:

"The electric and hybrid vehicle market continued its growth in California through the first half of the year. New hybrid vehicle sales saw a three percent increase to their share, making up 10 percent of the market, with new electric vehicle sales increasing one and a half percent to 7.8 percent. Plug-in hybrids doubled their share to 3.2 percent. In the first six months of the year, the market share for these vehicles increased significantly from 15 percent in 2020 to 21 percent through June of 2021."

For comparison:

In Norway the market share of new, fully electric cars (personal vehicles) registered was 62.5% in 2021 as per 30. September.
Source: Elbilsalg

In the UK hybrid and plug-in electric vehicles accounted for 17.5% of new car registrations in 2021 (year-to-date in November).
Source: UK: Plug-In Car Sales Reach 28% Share In November 2021

Last edited:
For comparison:

In Norway the market share of new, fully electric cars (personal vehicles) registered was 62.5% in 2021 as per 30. September.
Source: Elbilsalg

In the UK hybrid and plug-in electric vehicles accounted for 17.5% of new car registrations in 2021 (year-to-date in November).
Source: UK: Plug-In Car Sales Reach 28% Share In November 2021
It looks like plug-in vehicles (includes both plug-in hybrids and fully-electric vehicles) have achieved 28% of new car market-share in the UK, per your linked article.

It looks like plug-in vehicles (includes both plug-in hybrids and fully-electric vehicles) have achieved 28% of new car market-share in the UK, per your linked article.
Yes, for November, but these figures obviously fluctuate throughout the year, so we can't be certain it will stay that high for a whole year. But an encouraging number nonetheless!

It's interesting to note what these sorts of figures mean. As I understand it, there are about 1.5 million cars sold in California annually, though in 2020 I think there was a big decline in numbers. That seems to be a worldwide trend too, with fewer new cars sold. 21% share for EVs means about 300,000 new EVs hit the road in 2021 in California. I believe there are about 15 million registered vehicles in California, so there may be some way to go. It's the same in Norway where, while it is true new EVs are about 65% of the total, the total EV fleet represents about 8% of all motor vehicles on the road. I suspect as personal prosperity declines in coming years due to the general decrease in available energy, we will see fewer new cars sold. I can't see EVs being a significant proportion of the passenger car fleet for a while yet. I wonder if things will change dramatically in the shorter term?

What do you mean by "general decrease in available energy"?
I mean that as time passes, the quantity of oil and coal - fossil fuels - able to be mined very cheaply reduces (or more exactly, the energy required to produce the fuels is increasing so the amount available for use is decreasing) and population is increasing, leading to less energy per capita for society, and hence personal prosperity is reducing. The transition to renewables is hastening that process.

I mean that as time passes, the quantity of oil and coal - fossil fuels - able to be mined very cheaply reduces (or more exactly, the energy required to produce the fuels is increasing so the amount available for use is decreasing) and population is increasing, leading to less energy per capita for society, and hence personal prosperity is reducing. The transition to renewables is hastening that process.
Per the U.S. Energy Information Administration (eia.gov), the United States' petroleum extraction has rapidly increased since 2008: U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Per the U.S. Energy Information Administration (eia.gov), the United States' petroleum extraction has rapidly increased since 2008: U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

I believe this will change over the coming decade. Already US tight oil is facing problems as investment slows and productivity is compromised by a range of issues. There is also some evidence that global oil production has already peaked.