Humans more important than other species

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Some of my threads in the "Animals In The News" section: eastern cougar extinct(4 responses), 40% of US bee colonies die(0 responses), and one about elephants suffering in Africa(0 responses). Threads involving human suffering usually get a lot more responses than this. Do people actually feel this way?

Feel what way?

People post replies when they have something to say. What do you think people should be saying?

People generally respond to threads if there's some difference of opinion and/or there's been some controversy. If everyone is in agreement, there's much less likelihood of responses.

To be frank, many of your opinions on matters involving humans are odd, so you're likely to get responses taking issue with your positions, whereas, at least in my case, I've known about CCD and the imminent threat it poses to our ecosystem and crops for a decade or so, and I've usually read about the most recent extinctions, etc., before I ever come on this board.

As of yesterday the Supreme Court case had 38 responses. An animal going extinct had 4. I don't mind that many of my threads get 0 responses but there's something not right about that.

There's a lot more animals in the world than there are humans. If you considered an animal as an equal to humans, you'd consider animal rights more important than human rights. Governments should be judged accordingly. The answer to my question should be obvious for most people.

This is the first time I've heard that. I always get people complaining how we vegans care more about animals than people.

But yeah, I know about the different species going extinct and will sometimes post an FYI on Facebook. But, I don't really see that's there's anything to discuss about it. I could post how sad it is, but I would think that that goes without saying.

Anyway, I try to avoid the animals suffering and abused threads as much as possible since I already discuss those things daily with people in my life, debate it with acquaintances, and unfortunately, often have to deal with it in real life (rescue work). I come here more for the company and general conversation.

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
What @Calliegirl said. That being said, whenever a thread on feline health/nutrition pops up, I'm over there clicking and replying as soon as the thread hits the presses. Different topics interest different people. I'm ore likely to be more interested in talking about vegan diets for cats (DON'T DO IT) than gay marriage.

Reactions: Mischief and KLS52
What @Calliegirl said. That being said, whenever a thread on feline health/nutrition pops up, I'm over there clicking and replying as soon as the thread hits the presses. Different topics interest different people. I'm ore likely to be more interested in talking about vegan diets for cats (DON'T DO IT) than gay marriage.

Yeah, the vegan cat topic seems to be a constant thing. Very frustrating.

For myself, I also have to say that nothing is more likely to trigger depression than stories of animal neglect or abuse, so I have to be careful to not immerse myself in them. I need to be able to continue to function for the sake of the animals who are my direct responsibility.

Reactions: KLS52
I think maybe we assume we're pretty much on the same page about species extinction - gosh that's sad, we're f*cking up our planet, and to probably misquote Ricky Gervais, you're an imbecile if you think matted rhinoceros hair is going to make you hard.

Reactions: ledboots
A lot of post I agree on, I don't have any good to write other than it's terrible. So I end up just not writing anything. It's not that humans are more important than animals at all, but just if I feel I have something I want to say, other than just it's terrible or I agree.

And remember that sharing not always equals caring, in the meaning that not sharing is not caring. People can care about a lot of stuff, without sharing it in social media. I do share something on my FB page example, but I try to filter it a bit to be articles and stuff I think my FB friends will read and perhaps make a change. So if I don't share 10 articles about women getting raped in Oslo, it doesn't mean I don't care.

I think it helps not only to post some link, but also to offer some thought up for discussion.

Now ... the issue of "humans being more important than animals" is definitely interesting for me.

I admit, I myself am a blatant speciesist.

If I was a firefighter running into a burning house, and there was an old, decrepit human being and a young, healthy puppy dog, I definitely would save the human being (who probably does not have to live as long as the young, healthy dog) first. Also, when stranded on the proverbial deserted island, I also would not primarily have ethical concerns against killing animals if they were truly the only available food source and I was starving.

But I definitely - like I assume most other fellow vegans do - value the life and well-being of any animal higher than the taste of "real" meat, "real" cheese or honey, simply because it's a no-brainer (to me) that we can subsist (and subsist healthily) on a vegan diet and clothe ourselves in pleather and cotton.

I don't know who I would save first. I am pretty much positive that, if the animal in question was one of my companion animals, I would save him/her over a stranger of any species, other than a small child. The instinct to save children is pretty hardwired, IMO.

Recent terror attacks:20 posts
Plane crash in Alps:12 posts
Plane crash at LaGuardia:4 posts
Bin Lorry crash in Glasgow:7 posts
A lot more posts than those involving animals suffering. If animal cruelty is depressing, human suffering should be depressing as well.
we're all speciesist, and you're not?
Just going by my own country:if you endorse either party which usually involves minimizing the government's role in the 9 billion farm animals dying per year, that seems speciest. If you're much more angered by the things dictatorships have done to humans compared to the horrendous animal suffering that many democracies have caused, that seems speciest.

RF, why do you ask questions when you always completely discount all the answers people give you, even when they are answers about their own feelings?

I've probably spent more money on helping people (buying homeless people meals) than animals, but have spent more time volunteering for animals (work on sanctuaries/rescues, finding homes, fundraisers) than I have for people.

I'm sure that makes me a speciest in some way.