Howdy

houseunderpool

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi ya'll - stopped eating meat 2-3 months ago...did this about a decade ago to my parents' chagrin. Love the options and find that meat is only a texture. Looking for restaurants and other foods that cater to the lifestyle and I hope to become a full fledge vegan soon after I kick my dairy habit.

Thanks!

Hi ya'll - stopped eating meat 2-3 months ago...did this about a decade ago to my parents' chagrin. Love the options and find that meat is only a texture. Looking for restaurants and other foods that cater to the lifestyle and I hope to become a full fledge vegan soon after I kick my dairy habit.

Thanks!
:welcome:
You've got a great start on quitting dairy with the rise of plant based options now!

Reactions: Lou
:welcome:
You've got a great start on quitting dairy with the rise of plant based options now!
Thanks! I've tried Chao cheese, Go Veggie and Daiya.

HAAATED Daiya - tasted like coconut!

Chao was awesome, but Idk, too expensive and something else...

Go Veggie wasn't bad...

Made one out of nuts...

Suggest any? I heard Myonokos was good. Another Greek company too.

• Wow
Reactions: silva
Hello and welcome! Cheese was really hard for me but I don’t hate Daiya when I put it with other ingredients. It works really well with Nacchos for me. Chao was good in grilled cheese dunked in tomato soup.
I only tried Miyokos mozzarella. It was good but did not taste anything like dairy mozzarella IMO.
I love galaxy parmesan in soups and pastas.

Thanks for
Hello and welcome! Cheese was really hard for me but I don’t hate Daiya when I put it with other ingredients. It works really well with Nacchos for me. Chao was good in grilled cheese dunked in tomato soup.
I only tried Miyokos mozzarella. It was good but did not taste anything like dairy mozzarella IMO.
I love galaxy parmesan in soups and pastas.
Thank you so much for that assessment! Will have to try Galaxy, Miyokos sounds like it might disappoint me.

Do you recommend other vegan items, aside from cheese?

Any secrets?

Thanks!

welcome to the forum and all the best with your transition, sometimes it takes a few attempts as we all know

I would suggest that you read the "what are you eating/dinner/breakfast" threads as that gives you a clearer idea of what we are all eating.

Most whole food is vegan....

Supermarkets are mostly vegan by default:
  • all produce aisles - fresh fruits and vegetables and herbs
  • frozen aisles - frozen fruits, vegetables
  • bean aisles - canned beans, dried beans, lentils, breakfast beans
  • canned fruits and vegetables
  • pasta aisle - most pastas and sauces, noodles, gnocchi, most perogies, Soy Curls
  • condiments aisle - vinegars, olives, pickles, ketchup, soy sauce, hot sauces, mustard, tahini, spices
  • snack and bulk aisle - nuts, dried fruits, nutritional yeast, various grains, some potato chips
  • cereal aisle - oatmeal, Spoon Size Shredded Wheat, Shredded Wheat etc
  • beverage aisle - sparkling water, herbal teas, coffee
  • bakery aisle - sprouted breads, pitas, tortillas
  • dairy aisle - tofu, plant-based milks, plant-based cheeses and butter
  • faux meats - Gardein, Field Roast, so many to choose from
We look forward to sharing your journey with you.

Emma JC

Go Veggie wasn't bad...

Made one out of nuts...

What a minute-----you thought DAIYA tasted like coconut??? While I only really like their farmhouse blocks, they are my favorite of all vegan cheddar, with Follow Your Heart parm my fave for mozzerella.
I HATE Chao--that I taste coconut.

I've never had Miyokos, though I make this recipe-

I just tried Parmela cashew cheese in pepperjack slices--it was ok, but somehow didn't seem like cheese. Super good on nachos though
Trader Joes has cashew cheddar slices, which taste good, but weird texture. Not a good melt--Parmela was

If you try nutritional yeast I suggest you get non fortified. Better taste-no aftertaste

What a minute-----you thought DAIYA tasted like coconut??? While I only really like their farmhouse blocks, they are my favorite of all vegan cheddar, with Follow Your Heart parm my fave for mozzerella.
I HATE Chao--that I taste coconut.

I've never had Miyokos, though I make this recipe-

I just tried Parmela cashew cheese in pepperjack slices--it was ok, but somehow didn't seem like cheese. Super good on nachos though
Trader Joes has cashew cheddar slices, which taste good, but weird texture. Not a good melt--Parmela was

If you try nutritional yeast I suggest you get non fortified. Better taste-no aftertaste
How was that mozzarella you made?

I've never had Daiya farmhouse block - I'll have to try it.

How was that mozzarella you made?

I've never had Daiya farmhouse block - I'll have to try it.
The blocks are different than shreds, or even the slices. I dislike the shreds

I make soy yogurt with plain soy milk and probiotics in Instant Pot
Not like real mozzerella, but tasty - great smushed on sandwiches, or caprese tomato salad (or is that one thing 🤔 )

The blocks are different than shreds, or even the slices. I dislike the shreds

I make soy yogurt with plain soy milk and probiotics in Instant Pot
Not like real mozzerella, but tasty - great smushed on sandwiches, or caprese tomato salad (or is that one thing 🤔 )
How are the blocks different exactly? That makes me feel MUCH better as I haven't been impressed with any vegan shreds.

Go Veggie wasn't bad...

Made one out of nuts...

Dairy cheese is one of those products that is very difficult to duplicate. Moreover, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to such
a complexe and tasty product like cheese. Just read all of the comments of likes/dislikes concerning texture and taste with regards to vegan cheeses. Some brands such as Go Veggie and Vegusto aren't my cup of tea.
Daiya does contain coconut oil and coconut cream ( I think it's the grated one) so it would make sense that it has a slight coconut taste to it.

Have you ever tried Violife which is a Greek based brand that doesn't contain either soya or nuts ? Moreover, they use very little ingredients compared to Daiya which use lots of different jelling agents and sugar.
If you are looking for a faux cheese that melts well their Original one is the best. If you like a cheddar style one that has a slight crumbly texture and taste that is slightly acid; their Epic mature cheddar style fits the bill. Their coconut oil must be refined as their range doesn't have a coconut taste.

The only ones that do have a strong coconut taste are the cream cheeses.

1601360055030.png

Dairy cheese is one of those products that is very difficult to duplicate. Moreover, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to such
a complexe and tasty product like cheese. Just read all of the comments of likes/dislikes concerning texture and taste with regards to vegan cheeses. Some brands such as Go Veggie and Vegusto aren't my cup of tea.
Daiya does contain coconut oil and coconut cream ( I think it's the grated one) so it would make sense that it has a slight coconut taste to it.

Have you ever tried Violife which is a Greek based brand that doesn't contain either soya or nuts ? Moreover, they use very little ingredients compared to Daiya which use lots of different jelling agents and sugar.
If you are looking for a faux cheese that melts well their Original one is the best. If you like a cheddar style one that has a slight crumbly texture and taste that is slightly acid; their Epic mature cheddar style fits the bill. Their coconut oil must be refined as their range doesn't have a coconut taste.

The only ones that do have a strong coconut taste are the cream cheeses.

View attachment 22533
I haven't tried Violife yet but it seems like the cheese of choice for Sauce Stache and The Burger Dude on Youtube. Does anyone know if Sauce Stache is vegan or just enjoys making vegan creations?

I can't wait to try Violife though!

that is really weird. Daiya does have coconut oil and even coconut cream is lower on the list. I don't taste it there, but I taste coconut oil in almost anything else that has it, and hate it! I guess the oil is refined? Still. That's what I think is yuck in Chao-I really think it tastes like vomit
The only shreds I like are Follow Your Heart parm, and I like that a lot!
I do need to try Violife. They've been carrying at Fresh Thyme, but with the specialty cheeses, not the regular ones, vegan and dairy, so I never bother to look
Meh, i don't really need vegan cheese. I want cheap vegan mayo like good old Just Mayo
I think I'll start trying my hand at cultured cheeses with rejuvelac and stuff. So far only done with probiotics or soy yogurt and liked those a lot--cashew

Reactions: houseunderpool
that is really weird. Daiya does have coconut oil and even coconut cream is lower on the list. I don't taste it there, but I taste coconut oil in almost anything else that has it, and hate it! I guess the oil is refined? Still. That's what I think is yuck in Chao-I really think it tastes like vomit
The only shreds I like are Follow Your Heart parm, and I like that a lot!
I do need to try Violife. They've been carrying at Fresh Thyme, but with the specialty cheeses, not the regular ones, vegan and dairy, so I never bother to look
Meh, i don't really need vegan cheese. I want cheap vegan mayo like good old Just Mayo
I think I'll start trying my hand at cultured cheeses with rejuvelac and stuff. So far only done with probiotics or soy yogurt and liked those a lot--cashew
I'm excited to try Follow Your Heart parm now! I don't think I've seen it locally so may try Amazon or elsewhere online. Specialty vegan cheeses? So excited to try those - I can't wait to visit a vegan cheese shop!

What's rejuvelac?

I'm excited to try Follow Your Heart parm now! I don't think I've seen it locally so may try Amazon or elsewhere online. Specialty vegan cheeses? So excited to try those - I can't wait to visit a vegan cheese shop!

What's rejuvelac?
Rejuvelac is made from letting grains or seeds ferment in water, and is used in many vegan cheeses as a culture. I've always been afraid of fermenting anything myself, but I've read so much about it I feel I should at least try!

Reactions: houseunderpool