How Would You "Doctor" Pre-Made Butternut Squash Soup?

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
My environmental group meets monthly. We have dinner at the meeting place before the business portion of the meeting. The president of the group is a vegan, so we try to bring vegan food that everyone can eat.

I've found some pre-made butternut squash soup in a Tetra-pak, certified vegan. If I wanted to add some sort of vegetable(s) or legumes to the soup to make it heartier, what would you suggest?

I've added potatoes to my butternut squash soup. A quick search yielded suggestions like lentils or chickpeas which sounds really good to me. I would do chickpeas and potatoes.

Reactions: ledboots and Joe
I've added potatoes to my butternut squash soup. A quick search yielded suggestions like lentils or chickpeas which sounds really good to me. I would do chickpeas and potatoes.

Thanks. How would you prepare the potatoes? Dice them, shred them, mash them, slice them ... ?

I find that cold-pressed pumpkinseed oil (the stuff that looks like diesel oil) greatly improves the taste of pumpkin soup.

If I am using 2 quarts of pre-made squash soup (before adding any potatoes or chickpeas), how much curry powder would be appropriate? Half-a-teaspoon?

The last time I made a soup I accidentally added too much pepper, and people were complaining about this. Also, I did not add enough salt. So I intend to bring a salt shaker for the whiners.

By the way, I don't know whether we are allowed to mention brand names but the butternut squash soup in the Tetra-pak is from

Pacific, i.e., Pacific Foods of Oregon

It contains sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.

I'm a little reluctant to add extra seasoning. The soup is heating in my slow cooker, and the pungent aroma fills my kiitchen.

Reactions: KLS52