How to stop cats from coming into the garden?

Muggle

Forum Legend
Reaction score
We've got a cat problem at the moment. They keep coming into our back garden to use it as a litter tray and our dogs just love to eat it.

So are there any cruelty-free (obviously) and hopefully not too expensive ways of keeping cats out which won't affect our dogs?
Asking the neighbours to keep their cats in their houses is not an option as I live in the UK and most people view it as cruel to keep cats looked indoors. Plus, there's so many of them and I have no idea which cats are actually coming in.

I think they're coming in at night because I don't think cats dare to venture into the garden during the day because of the dogs. I've never seen them, I just get the evidence of them licked all over my face and hands. I've tried to hunt out the places where they've pooed but I think they're doing it under the hedge and it's impossible to see anything under there or on the other side of it.

It's very difficult. You can buy these alarm things that are inaudible to humans but supposedly horrible to cat's ears, only I would think they would be horrible for your dogs too. Similar thing with deterrent sprays, I don't know what effect they would have on your dogs.

Are the cats getting in over the fence? You can put things on top of it that means they can't walk there, like the spiky things designed to stop pigeons landing. The problem with that is they might hurt themselves the first time they climb up there, not knowing it is now spiky. You could get some wire and run it along about 8 inches above your fence top, so the cat doesn't have room to walk with the wire in their way.

Hmmm... Fence thing might work. Problem is that our neighbours hate us (long story) and we'll need access into their gardens to put anything on top of the fence because the fence and the hedge are so high and the gap between them is tiny.
I think they might also be coming in over our gates.

Can you put down ground cover like hazelnut shell mulch, gravel, or bark chips? What about planting things that deter them? I have read that lavender works, but not sure what other plants do.

Can you put down ground cover like hazelnut shell mulch, gravel, or bark chips?
Our dogs would probably love to eat that. (My dogs are strange, they will eat anything)

What about planting things that deter them? I have read that lavender works, but not sure what other plants do.

You know, that might be why it's only just started to be a problem. We have masses of lavender growing in the garden but we had to cut it all back for the winter. Did that last week and the cat problem started a few days afterwards. Normally we keep the cut lavender and dry it but this year we just put it all in the garden waste bin for collection. Damn.

It's very difficult. You can buy these alarm things that are inaudible to humans but supposedly horrible to cat's ears, only I would think they would be horrible for your dogs too. Similar thing with deterrent sprays, I don't know what effect they would have on your dogs.

Are the cats getting in over the fence? You can put things on top of it that means they can't walk there, like the spiky things designed to stop pigeons landing. The problem with that is they might hurt themselves the first time they climb up there, not knowing it is now spiky. You could get some wire and run it along about 8 inches above your fence top, so the cat doesn't have room to walk with the wire in their way.

They don't seem to work. My neighbour bought 3 of them and the cats still have set up base in her garden.:confused:

We used a motion sensor sprinkler. It wasn't expensive and worked really well. Just turned it on at night when the cats were out but we weren't, pointed at the widest area possible within our yard. They learned not to hang out and even if it wasn't on for a while, they got out of the habit of coming into the yard. We just needed to have it hooked up to a spigot while it's on, it was battery operated.

tumblr_m7cv81lRqm1rbqxz2o1_500.png

Reactions: ledboots
My friend had a cat use her front porch as a toilet for a while. Now she leaves her orange peel by the front door. Very quirky and colourful as you walk up to her house and no cats :-o xxx

My friend had a cat use her front porch as a toilet for a while. Now she leaves her orange peel by the front door. Very quirky and colourful as you walk up to her house and no cats :-o xxx

Charming Animals. I dont see whats not to like about them....

Sorry cats crapping in other peoples gardens is my number one gripe!

Charming Animals. I dont see whats not to like about them....

Sorry cats crapping in other peoples gardens is my number one gripe!

It drives me crazy too. I had to dig up potatoes amongst the cat poop recently and it's makes me very very angry. We've waged a constant battle to maintain a cat poop free environment but it is not easy.

But when I meet a cat, I can't help but love them for their adorable little faces. :shrug: