How to overcome laziness to cook?

The Master Of Design

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
All vegans are trying their best to make the world a little bit better. I am beyond grateful that you are here reading this!
As I am always eating out, is there anyone here who was once super lazy to cook and has overcome that? If so, how? Please share.
Thank you! <3

Reactions: Delish life
Putting on music or a podcast helps. If my kitchen is messy it seems like more of a chore to cook. Soup can be pretty hands off.

I usually cook in large batches so I have a couple days leftovers and dont have to cook every single day. Some people cook a big batch of a favorite ingredient like quinoa and work it into their cooking the next few days to save time.

Honestly I've been losing motivation to cook lately so I could use some tips too!

I need to work on streamlining my recipes. I used to think the more ingredients I used the better...my stir fry recipe got way out of hand!

But I still think fewer than 8 ingredients in a salad is a sad sad bowl of lettuce 😆

Organizing your kitchen / work space. Having the ingredients and tools/appliances easily accessible. Since I moved last year I made sure that the items I would use frequently are close at hand. I don’t like to keep appliances like blenders or food processors on the counter so I made sure I could open a cabinet and them “right there.” Same for mixing bowls and baking pans. If I have to go digging for something I’m not going to want to use it.

I don’t have a lot of counter/prep space so that needs to be kept clutter free. It also helps with my anxiety to not have a lot of stuff visible. I don’t want to cook/bake if I’m feeling anxious. Organization helps with that too.

I’ve gone so far as to put out non perishable items the night before if I want to make something with a lot of ingredients. When I get up the next day it’s nice to have most of the items there and ready to go.

Sometimes I will make a recipe in stages. Like mixing cookie dough then refrigerating it for the next day. Same thing with the Seitan nuggets. Breaking a recipe down into stages helps with not feeling overwhelmed. Again, causing less anxiety.

Writing all of this out makes me realize just how much the anxiety plays a part in daily life, even with the smallest of things. I’ve been doing a lot of cooking and baking the last few months so it must be working! I’ve been feeling pretty good mentally. Lol 😊😍

I'm lazy too when it comes to cooking, but I have found a few things that help. First off, it's a good idea to find some ready-made products, such as chopped tomatoes in a can, black bean patties, spicy tofu or canned beans and frozen vegetables. If you have any of these or something like that in your local grocery store, it would be helpful. Then all you need to do is to prepare the potatoes, carrots or boil the pasta or whatever you are using and add your favourite spices.
Also, when cooking becomes a part of your daily routine, it can be a meditative process... At least, as long as it's easy.

But I still think fewer than 8 ingredients in a salad is a sad sad bowl of lettuce
A "salad" to me is just some cucumber. Keepin' things simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think just being vegan is a good detriment to going out. Lots of takeout isn't even vegan.
I do a lot of prep ahead of time. Like if I make black beans and rice - I make 6 servings. Freeze the rest and just heat them up as I want them.
Stir fry takes like 5 minutes. I also will boil some pasta and heat some sauce.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
take a few minutes and watch Cheap Lazy Vegan (Rose) on Youtube.... her brand is based on Lazy and she does a great job at keeping it simple

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52
Putting on music or a podcast helps. If my kitchen is messy it seems like more of a chore to cook. Soup can be pretty hands off.

I usually cook in large batches so I have a couple days leftovers and dont have to cook every single day. Some people cook a big batch of a favorite ingredient like quinoa and work it into their cooking the next few days to save time.

Honestly I've been losing motivation to cook lately so I could use some tips too!
Agree on the clean kitchen. If it's a mess, I have to clean before I start cooking -- so I can make another mess, haha. I often have a podcast or music on as well.

I wouldn't classify myself as a lazy cook, but I sometimes get in food ruts, so it's good to mix it up a bit. I often will look for something new to cook or something I haven't made in a really long time to get me out of the rut. Or baking. I love baking, so that can get me motivated to change it up as well.