How to keep cookies soft

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hey!
Does anyone know the trick to keep cookies soft? Mine were nice when they were still warm but since being out they have gone rock solid and just about pass as being biscuits!
They were made with self raising flour, caster sugar, vegan butter, dairy free chocolate orange chips and some orange juice to make it sticky xxx

Ok this sounds crazy, but I keep a small apple in the cookie jar, it outgasses and keeps them fresh, per Grandma.

An immediate trick is to microwave the stale cookies with a mug of water next to them; the steam does it. I do this w bakery breads, too.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
It sounds like they were overcooked. Cookies and biscuits do not firm up in the oven, only when they cool. Also despite misleading "take them out the oven when they're an even brown" claims in cookery books, they don't colour a lot either, so it's easy to overbake them.

If they're hard all the way through, you could also make them deeper/less spread out to keep a soft centre.

Your recipe sounds fine, I'd just take them out earlier, and maybe make them a little deeper next time. :)

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Put them in a sealed bag with a bread slice!!!
I'd never an apple slice.

My boyfriend's mum makes a lot of cookies around the holidays. She stores them in tins and puts in a slice of break to keep them fresh. It seems to work brilliantly.