How to grow a veggies on your balcony?

carrotcake

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm sure that some of you live in apartements like I do with no garden space. I'm a student, so money is tight and food is expensive. I've been thinking about growing my vegetables on my balcony instead, but I'm not sure how well they can grow in a flowerpot instead of a beet. I'd love to grow my own salad, onions, potatoes and herbs. I'm fairly certain that I could grow herbs, but potatoes? Or cucumbers? I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in growing veggies in a small place with no beet.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Hi guys!

I'm sure that some of you live in apartements like I do with no garden space. I'm a student, so money is tight and food is expensive. I've been thinking about growing my vegetables on my balcony instead, but I'm not sure how well they can grow in a flowerpot instead of a beet. I'd love to grow my own salad, onions, potatoes and herbs. I'm fairly certain that I could grow herbs, but potatoes? Or cucumbers? I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in growing veggies in a small place with no beet.

I would also like to have a few small potted plants... definitely herbs, but veggies would be splendid. Unfortunately, I have quite the brown thumb when it comes to any sort or gardening. :no: I have two herb starter "kits" (basil & parsley) that came with packets of seeds, soil, fertilizer, and two very small pots (with no drainage holes)... however, there are no instructions. I just don't trust myself to wing it.

For an experiment (this was quite a while ago), I shoved two sprouting potatoes in a pot of soil & they grew like CRAZY! :eek: I read, though, that you should never try to grow potatoes to eat from sprouting store-bought ones... they can carry various diseases, apparently. It's strongly recommended that you plant seed potatoes.

Growing Potatoes In Containers: How To Grow Potatoes In A Pot

I've had very good luck with basil, parsley, rosemary, mint, and chives in pots. All from plants, not much luck with herbs from seeds.
Tomatoes do great, just get those tomato cages
I wouldn't do potatoes on a balcony. You need to keep adding soil to top the pile up as they grow- I never tried it, but doesn't seem reasonable for a small area.
Do you have a high rise balcony, or ground level?
I think beans or peas would be good too- I planted beans on a deck railing that had long planters on the rail. They trellised nicely