Nutrition & Diet How to eat chia seeds

Ohad

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
I heard that chia seeds are very valuable, especially for vegans like me. However, I heard it’s not easy to get out the most of them(I hope I said it rghit), you have to use some water procedure or something.
Now, I just wanted to know what exactly I need to do to get out the most of them, and how much I should consume per day.
Thanks

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Chia seeds are loaded with many different nutrients however they are quite expensive. Moreover, I would only recommend buying organic ones.

I typically consume roughly 1 tbs- 1 1/2 per day. I usually sprinkle a few seeds onto fruit, salads, yogurt, cooked vegetable, soups or when making smoothies/pb milk shakes. I even add a spoon or two when making bread.

They're pretty cheap at my Aldi- much better than at specialty stores. Same with flax seeds (linseeds)
I don't use them daily, but always fully hydrated with liquid. I once read of someone having intestinal problems from eating them dry-they adhered to the walls or something
Chia jam is good. Just simmer fruit in just enough water, add sweetener (I used dates) and blend. Stir in chia seeds and it'll thicken as it cools.
I guess they don't need to be simmered first.
Adding to chopped fruits with their juice, or adding a non dairy milk, and adding chia for a pudding texture

I was under the impression that chia seeds, like flax seeds, should be ground before you consume them. I grind my flax seeds in my coffee grinder. and then I add it to my morning oatmeal or a morning smoothie. Just one Tbsp.

After they are ground you should keep them in the frig.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I was under the impression that chia seeds, like flax seeds, should be ground before you consume them. I grind my flax seeds in my coffee grinder. and then I add it to my morning oatmeal or a morning smoothie. Just one Tbsp.

After they are ground you should keep them in the frig.

That is correct @Lou

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou