How to deal with brutal people? you try to stick up for animals and they eat extra meat to spite you

Sam

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
You try to alert someone to the pin and suffering an animal went through the animal they are eating, and THEY get angry, and say just for that im gonna eat mixed grill everyday from now on, so you just killed 4 times as many animals than had you not bothered me.....

Its like I have killed animals now and I was trying to protect them which hurts extra because its my fault.

Reactions: betiPT
Some people are pieces of ****, and that's just reality. Even before I was vegan I was NEVER like that - I started trying to go vegetarian as a child. When I first failed at veganism in my early 20s it was mainly to due to health fears perpetrated by the mainstream media and brainwashed meat eaters.

Those people exist and I always marvel when I see someone who is now a vegan activist say they used to be kind of like one of those people. Usually they're men I have no idea what's up with that. Then again, people who go from bacon jokes to vegan activism are usually pretty young - like it was more related to teenaged immaturity more than an inherent personality trait.

Middle aged adults on the other hand who are like that are...just like that. It's something inherent in them, and it's not your fault that they're stupid or have dulled empathy.

Don't blame yourself. Veganism would never have gone mainstream if Ingrid Newkirk from PETA wasn't afraid to make people hate her, and if albums like Meat is Murder by the Smiths, and Hardline by Vegan Reich hadn't have existed in the 80s and 90s. People can hate on aggressive activism all they want, but in truth it works.

No it doesn't work on everyone, but those people who eat four times as many animals because of an aggressive vegan probably just disrespect and run all over passive vegans, so really do not blame yourself.

hmmm... yet you say you love d1ck.

i guess you're married, male, middle aged, closet gay?

That escalated quickly...

Back to the original post...when you're involved in vegan activism, some people will eat more meat because of you, others will eat the same, and some will eat less. Overall it's less. Since it's impossible to tell who is going to react which way, you just have to accept that some people will react differently to your activism but trust that the overall situation will be a gain.

Also, I only half believe these people who say they are going to eat more meat. They are just saying that to **** you off. Maybe they will eat more meat that day or for a few days or weeks but then they'll soon forget about it and go back to normal.

It may be better not to engage these people much in the future though.

There really are some douche-bags out there are'nt there!!

Well if someone eats four mixed grills a week to spite you, think of what it is doing for their arteries, cholesterol and fat intake. And if they genuinely do continue that lifestyle for every week of their life, they are going have some serious health issues and probably shorten their lifespan. #winning? I think not Mr douche-bag.

Reactions: betiPT
While I do agree that some meat eaters can be true asshats, I also believe if you're going to be an activist, you should expect some resistance. It's the age old story of "if you can't take it, don't dish it out" in my humble opinion.

My opinion is that, you know, just to have some peace in my back yard, I have to whistle with the birds and barking dogs. I think it calms them down. But, ai don't really understand pet owners. I would MUCH rather be talking to another human, teaching a child about the world, etc., than be feeding a darn dog or cow.

We've had people fighting other people for thousands of years. I think it's tied to this "having some as pets, and some as dinner". I say just kill em all. Humans would be happier.

You try to alert someone to the pin and suffering an animal went through the animal they are eating, and THEY get angry, and say just for that im gonna eat mixed grill everyday from now on, so you just killed 4 times as many animals than had you not bothered me.....

Its like I have killed animals now and I was trying to protect them which hurts extra because its my fault.

I don't believe this reaction is based in spite or hatred just for it's own sake or for being challenged necessarily, but mostly in what is perceived as a threat to survival. Most practicing human carnivores honestly believe they need meat and other animal products to survive. I still get this from friends of mine, like they think I eat only salad and take a bunch of supplements and am hungry all the time! lol!

Basically, to people with this mindset, they think you are starving/denying base needs in favor of other species existance. This is anathema to them and where I believe the hatred comes from.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I don't believe this reaction is based in spite or hatred just for it's own sake or for being challenged necessarily, but mostly in what is perceived as a threat to survival. Most practicing human carnivores honestly believe they need meat and other animal products to survive. I still get this from friends of mine, like they think I eat only salad and take a bunch of supplements and am hungry all the time! lol!

Basically, to people with this mindset, they think you are starving/denying base needs in favor of other species existance. This is anathema to them and where I believe the hatred comes from.

Racist ideology comes from the same place. So does extreme right wing capitalism. "Self preservation" in the most mindless, simplistic, short term thinking. It's willfully ignorance in Western society.

The original question was asked a year ago. The person who asked it hasn't been seen in 11 months.

Maybe I'm missing something but is there a point to discussing this. There were a number of replies since Sam went MIA. Sam will probably never see these posts.

The original question was asked a year ago. The person who asked it hasn't been seen in 11 months.

Maybe I'm missing something but is there a point to discussing this. There were a number of replies since Sam went MIA. Sam will probably never see these posts.

One of the double edge swords of using certain internet mediums (and forums would be one of them), is that posts eventually get archived and will always be available to viewers. Eventually, because of bots, but sometimes manually by viewers.

The fact is, I replied to this thread after seeing it the first time when visiting what members (including guests/visitors) were looking at. So someone (possibly even the OP) was looking at it. I myself have occasionally viewed threads/posts from other message boards I was part of years ago, especially one’s I started myself. No dark intentions required :)

The flip side of the double edge sword is that because a multitude of posts do not disappear like unrecorded words in the wind, whatever they collectively communicate can stay up forever. People’s attitudes may change over the years, but some things, sometimes the littlest things, can, when added up, paint a hazy but discernible image, but not discernible to everyone.

That’s been my observation from doing internet forums for around two decades. It’s been on occasion a very interesting, enlightening, and even at times terrifying ride. The following is my favorite clip from “The Talented Mr. Ripley”. It’s a bit like looking through a double two way mirror. Even though I’m a piano player, Freddie is the character I identify with in the clip.

Now you may ask what this has to do with the thread. Nothing, really. Sort of like your comment on my previous (on topic) comment. It’s just a little more interesting segue I chose to share here. Do you like it Lou?

While I do agree that some meat eaters can be true asshats, I also believe if you're going to be an activist, you should expect some resistance. It's the age old story of "if you can't take it, don't dish it out" in my humble opinion.
“Asshats” I like that... I will use it too :)

• Haha
Reactions: Forest Nymph