Nutrition & Diet How Sugar Causes Depression-Anxiety

Reducing the consumption of sugar is probably something most of us could benefit from, and there could well be a link between over-consumption of sugar and depression / anxiety as this web site suggests.

What I don't like about the website is that it doesn't seem too well researched. It makes a lot of claims that are not supported by the studies it lists. It also doesn't state the credentials of its creator, this "Moody" person. It doesn't seem like they have any medical or nutritionist training, otherwise I'm sure they would have said so. And in fact the website itself says (in the footer):

"Depression and anxiety are serious medical conditions which require medical attention. The Depression Anxiety Diet is not meant to be used as a treatment for depression or anxiety. Consult your doctor before beginning any diet, exercise, or supplement plan." (My emphasis.)

Well, I guess that limits its usefulness for a lot of people.

I get the impression it's something someone has put together to sell something.

Last edited:
Reactions: SummerRain
:lala::lala:

<<< loves/is addicted to sugar. :(

Been a sugarphobe for a while. I firmly believe that fructose (sugar, corn syrup, honey, agave nectar, etc.), from Twinkies to soda and even excessive fruit juice is the single most detrimental substance that most people put in their bodies, more so than trans fats, pesticides, and artificial anything.

But I don't feel like digging up references to everything that has lead me to that conclusion because I'm lazy and have already had the debate plenty of times in the past :p

Been a sugarphobe for a while. I firmly believe that fructose (sugar, corn syrup, honey, agave nectar, etc.), from Twinkies to soda and even excessive fruit juice is the single most detrimental substance that most people put in their bodies, more so than trans fats, pesticides, and artificial anything.

But I don't feel like digging up references to everything that has lead me to that conclusion because I'm lazy and have already had the debate plenty of times in the past :p

Lack of sugar clearly causes laziness and failure to care about educating other people. :p

'War On Sugar' Declared In PMQs, The Internet Reacts Accordingly

I have heard a lot of news about the evils of sugar recently because of the rates of obesity and diabetes in adults, but apparently childhood obesity rates are falling. Action on Sugar called sugar "as dangerous as alcohol or tobacco" and have called on the food industry to cut 30 per cent of it from processed food.

I know that sugar causes a sugar rise and then a crash so that could affect mood swings. I eat far too much sugar.:oops:

Oh, this will be so hard to give up! I love me some chocolate once in a while... Though, I have to say, I've tried going without a couple of times already and I did feel much better, when I reduced or elimited sugar from my diet.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
That is thoughtful of you PTree. I have the book and it is laden with tips and lots of original recipes.:)
I worry about her because she's had cholesterol problems, and her doctor has told her that it's mostly due to her intake of baked goods. She could eat pastries and cookies and cakes every day (and she has, lol). He also told her to give up meat. :D I think he's a vegetarian.

Reactions: Danielle
I worry about her because she's had cholesterol problems, and her doctor has told her that it's mostly due to her intake of baked goods. She could eat pastries and cookies and cakes every day (and she has, lol). He also told her to give up meat. :D I think he's a vegetarian.

Too much sugar cause high Ldl cholesterol levels. Furthermore it also promotes weight gain. She is lucky that she is healthy at her age.

If she eats healthier baked goods with oatmeal and other whole grains, it can help lower cholesterol.

Lately some studies are pointing to women's triglyceride levels being important cardiac risk indicators even more than cholesterol. That means eat less sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup) and get more exercise.

I have hereditary high cholesterol and trigyceride levels (plus I ate meat and dairy into my 40's) so I take meds. And am vegan.

Too much sugar cause high Ldl cholesterol levels. Furthermore it also promotes weight gain. She is lucky that she is healthy at her age.
She is lucky indeed. She is a bit on the heavy side, though, which is another problem for her (bad knee). But overall, she's in pretty good shape.
If she eats healthier baked goods with oatmeal and other whole grains, it can help lower cholesterol.

Lately some studies are pointing to women's triglyceride levels being important cardiac risk indicators even more than cholesterol. That means eat less sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup) and get more exercise.

I have hereditary high cholesterol and trigyceride levels (plus I ate meat and dairy into my 40's) so I take meds. And am vegan.
I have been trying to get her do that type of baking, but she refuses. She can be stubborn (I wonder where I get it from, lol). She likes some of my vegan treats, but she always claims they are lacking "something" but doesn't say what, lol. She says they just don't taste "right" to her, lol. She likes real butter and eggs in her baked goods, I guess.

SIMPLE SWAPS TO SAVE ON SUGAR

SWAP: one banana (21g sugar) for one apple (12g sugar) = save 9g

SWAP: two plums (10g sugar) for seven strawberries (5g sugar) = save 5g

SWAP: one pear (17g sugar) for one peach or nectarine (8g sugar) = save 9g

SWAP: half a mango (13g sugar) for half a grapefruit (5g sugar) = save 8g

SWAP: 1tbsp raisins or sultanas (17g sugar) for two handfuls of blueberries (8g sugar) = save 9g

SWAP: an orange (14g sugar) for one large slice of fresh pineapple (8g sugar) = save 6g

SWAP: four dried apricots (12g sugar) for 10 blackberries (4g sugar) = save 8g

SWAP: 16 grapes (12g sugar) for two handfuls of raspberries (4g sugar) = save 8g

The full version of this feature appears in the April issue of Healthy Food Guide magazine on sale now.
visit healthyfood.co.uk/subscribe

Wow, that's cool, shyvas. Thanks for posting that. I do tend to eat a lot of bananas. I just wish berries weren't so pricey. I have a hard time forking over nearly $5 for 6 or 8 oz. of blueberries or raspberries. I love them so much, though. :D