How much time I have to fast before vegan blood test?

Ohad

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
I know you should fast some amount of hours before a blood test. But now I’m taking a blood test with all the additional tests vegans should take. How much time do I need to fast?

I’m not sure it’s any different. It’s always been nothing after midnight or 6 hours if the test is being done late in the day. But you should check with your physician to make sure.

I know you should fast some amount of hours before a blood test. But now I’m taking a blood test with all the additional tests vegans should take. How much time do I need to fast?
I've always been advised to fast for 12 hours.
I have no idea what you mean by additional tests for vegans.
B12 is often (usually) tested as serum, but the effective test should be MMA.
Unless you have a physician that has a specialty in plant based nutrition--a RD, or a lifestyle physician--you're not likely to be given specific tests, or even have them read effectively.

People eating plant based diets do have different results in terms of cholesterol, and iron, but unless your doctor is an advocate it won't ever be addressed, and may be seen as poor results.

I can't find specifics, but here is an example of how results can be misinterpreted:

You really should ask the lab this question. Here are some general guidelines :

Usually, you only need to fast before taking a blood glucose diabetes test. When I had to go in for my blood tests, it was in the early morning; and I I was told to eat breakfast after the test.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Also avoid supplements that day to avoid false readings, or interference with other readings