How much experimenting do you do in the Kitchen?

thisnthat

Novice
Reaction score
Do you only use recipes and stick to them precisely, or do you like to experiment and try to come up with your own recipes? Are you a good cook?

I enjoy cooking most of the time. I also like to experiment in the kitchen. I've come up with a few decent meals although I've also had my failures.

How about you?

Blaine

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I experiment with some recipes sometimes I love it because it gives me freedom to be flexible. I can be strict with the recipe and sometimes tweak them a bit when I can not find the right ingredients. That is how we learn in the kitchen by trial and error until we perfect it. I just enjoy the process as I learn it.

Rizwani

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Being a good cook requires a certain fascination with tastes and flavor, a fascination I hadn't developed until recently. For the longest time I had a bland palette which hadn't really changed since...well since I can remember. I never really thought about experimenting in the kitchen, until of course I met my wife who has made me appreciate new foods, new aromas...new meals. These days, I cook meals I'm used to in a slightly differently way just for kicks, looking to find which way of cooking has the most memorable taste. I prefer to experiment more with spices and presentation, not entire recipes yet. That horse is yet to be tamed.

Alexia

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I like to try out new recipes in the kitchen and mix together my favorite ingredients. Usually it's only me who will eat them so it's okay. I try different pie combinations and also sauces as I like savory ones, but that are low fat and without any dairy so sometimes it's hard to get a good balance. There is a lot of trial and error, but eventually I adapt things to my own taste.

kianthras

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I like to change up the recipes that I see here and there, especially when I don't have all of the ingredients that they call for! Honestly, that is what happens more often than not, where I decide that a recipe looks good, and then I find out that I don't have everything and have to experiment so that whatever I decide to cook still tastes decent. The only problem is when I find something that really works and then forget what I did because I didn't write it down!

Josie

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I do a lot of experimenting and I never follow recipes anymore. Eating whole foods means it's pretty hard to mess up lol.. just go with it and whatever you end up with is edible.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I think cooking is the field in which you can experiment, while in baking precise quantities of products are very important. So I am very precise when cooking, but I let my creativity show when I am cooking.