How Meat is Making the Planet Sick

well done interview - completely vegan? no and as we have said many times here, it is a journey, for most, from carnivore to vegan and many steps along the way, the more people that start taking those steps the sooner we will have a kinder, gentler, more vegan world

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: Brian W
80 billion land animals a year are killed. And this is just land animals. What are the numbers for aquatic animals? So if the human population is around 8 billion, this means we kill 10 times the world wide human population of land animals every year <shaking my head>. The interviewee spoke about how apocalyptic the situation is and all that Fareed could say is "I'm working my way to having more vegetables and less meat". There needs to be a reality check. Let's not pull punches and tell the world what is really happening. Do these people stop to think about what kind of future they want for their kids, grand kids, great grand kids? If we maintain the current course, there won't be a future.

Reactions: Emma JC
Some very interesting facts and food for thought:

this quote is interesting in it's lack of imagination:

Animal products contain more nutrients per calorie than vegetarian staples like grains and rice, so choosing the right replacement would be important, especially for the world’s estimated two billion-plus undernourished people. “Going vegetarian globally could create a health crisis in the developing world, because where would the micronutrients come from?” Benton says.

why would she consider that only grains and rice would replace the animal products.... what about potatoes, yams, beans, pulses, other veggies and fruits? anyone eating only the animal products are not getting good nutrients and anyone eating only grains and rice are not either so it seems like a specious argument

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Some very interesting facts and food for thought:

Quote from the BBC article:

"“Without livestock, life in certain environments would likely become impossible for some people,” Phalan says. That especially includes nomadic groups such as the Mongols and Berbers who, stripped of their livestock, would have to settle permanently in cities or towns – likely losing their cultural identity in the process."

Comment from me: Only 3 million Mongols currently live a nomadic life. We are talking about a tiny fraction of the world's population.
Link: Urban nomads: Mongolian herders battle new future as leave the land for the city

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
That kind of excuse is used frequently.
I think the thing that needs to be accounted for is world is not going to suddenly go vegan.
and the world does not have to go 100% vegan.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
this quote is interesting in it's lack of imagination:
There is a whole bunch of lines in this article I have issues with.
I think its not just biased but also an example of lazy reporting.
I may sit down and make a list.

Reactions: Emma JC
Quote from the BBC article:

"“Without livestock, life in certain environments would likely become impossible for some people,” Phalan says. That especially includes nomadic groups such as the Mongols and Berbers who, stripped of their livestock, would have to settle permanently in cities or towns – likely losing their cultural identity in the process."

Comment from me: Only 3 million Mongols currently live a nomadic life. We are talking about a tiny fraction of the world's population.
Link: Urban nomads: Mongolian herders battle new future as leave the land for the city

They always bring out this strawman argument. "If you were stuck on a mountain in the middle of a blizzard; would you eat a sheep?"

The nomadic groups are not responsible for the present climate crisis. It is the urban jackasses eating meat, cheese, and eggs 3 times a day, and snacking on jerky and pork skins in between.

My grandmother grew up on a farm before all of the factory farming. And she said, " If people had to raise a chicken from an egg, chase it around the backyard, kill it, and then spend a couple of hours plucking it; they wouldn't find it so easy to have meat all the time."

The Intuits didn't almost wipe out whales. The Mongolian nomads, herding a few sheep and goats, didn't create this problem . The Masai didn't cause climate change. The indigenous tribes didn't destroy the Amazon.

It is the greed of the developed countries that have caused this crisis, not a few Mongolian nomads.

Last edited: