How is Date Paste Made?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Is date paste made unter exposure to heat or using questionable substances / chemicals?

How is date paste made?

Is date paste made unter exposure to heat or using questionable substances / chemicals? Or are nutrients lost during production?

Is it better to use pitted dates or not pitted dates instead of date paste? Are pitted dates made unter exposure to heat or using questionable substances / chemicals?

I think that you received a few answers when you posted your question, some time ago.

Ah, many thanks for the link, great to know. Didn't know there are answers (no notification e-mail, no one in the spam, for your post there was one), didn't even know I asked that.

I think that you received a few answers when you posted your question, some time ago.
Yes, obviously, on another topic however. Thank you for reminding.

Is date paste made unter exposure to heat or using questionable substances / chemicals?

How is date paste made?

Is date paste made unter exposure to heat or using questionable substances / chemicals? Or are nutrients lost during production?

Is it better to use pitted dates or not pitted dates instead of date paste? Are pitted dates made unter exposure to heat or using questionable substances / chemicals?
Hi Detal i dont know how the industry makes it, they might use some other technique but making Date paste yourself is quite easy.

Date paste is made by grinding dried dates into a smooth and thick paste. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 pound pitted medjool dates 1/2 cup warm water

Instructions:

1. Put the dates in a food processor or blender.
  2. Add the warm water and blend until a smooth paste forms. Add more water if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
  3. Scrape the sides of the food processor or blender and blend again until a smooth paste forms.
  4. Transfer the paste to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.

Reactions: Emma JC
Hello bijnada.nl!

Many thanks for the recipce. Until now I use date paste because it is cheaper. And may be a little bit easier to handle. But I have to blend the paste anyway (with water or soy milk) for each recipe. And only the amount that I need for a recipe.

I suppose the dates don't have to be dried for this, right?

I have a thread here, also referring to dates: Query-Date Paste

Reactions: bEt
Hello bijnada.nl!

Many thanks for the recipce. Until now I use date paste because it is cheaper. And may be a little bit easier to handle. But I have to blend the paste anyway (with water or soy milk) for each recipe. And only the amount that I need for a recipe.

We always make date 'paste' with regular fresh dates. Pit about 8 to 10 at a time, cover with hot water and let soak a bit, then blend till smooth. Depending on how good your blender is you may need more water. I store in a glass jar in the freezer. You can still spoon it out if you make a bit thicker than apple sauce.
I don't worry about measure too much as I just use to sweeten

Pit about 8 to 10 at a time
Means you use 8 to 10 dates at a time? Do you have a special / easy / fast method to pit?

cover with hot water and let soak a bit
Why hot water?

Last edited:
Means you use 8 to 10 dates at a time? Do you have a special / easy / fast method to pit?

Why hot water?
Yes, I use about 8 at a time. It makes about a 12 oz jar. The medjool dates I buy are fresh so they open easily and the pit comes right out.. I know other types may be different.
I use hot water because it helps soften and blend--much less sticky

OK. But nutrients are lost through the hot water, I guess. So if water absolutely is necessary, then not hotter than 40°, I would say.

OK. But nutrients are lost through the hot water, I guess. So if water absolutely is necessary, then not hotter than 40°, I would say.
I wasn't even thinking of that, but will take into consideration! I guess just a soak is all that's necessary

Yes, would be a pity to lose nutrients. And even if it wasn't "necessary".

I guess just a soak is all that's necessary
I could imagine not even that. But it probably depends on the consistency one wants.

Soaking dates, especially the very dry variety is necessary if you want to make paste. Soaking them will not destroy nutrients, (pls read the link) on the contrary.
Compare to making soup; the nutrients are both in the liquid and also the vegetables.

Moreover, you don't even need hot water to soak dates in. Just cover with the necessary amount of liquid until they have slightly softened.

Thank you very much for the link!

Soaking them will not destroy nutrients, (pls read the link) on the contrary.
Excuse me, I really would think, if soaked in hot water it will. In water under 42° (the limit from which nutrients should / can become unusable) it will not.

Compare to making soup; the nutrients are both in the liquid and also the vegetables.
Yes, obviously the same with rice (not to recommend to eat, obviously), bulgur, vgetables etc., it is said a part of the nutrients go into the water. So it is better not to pour away the water or to boil so that no water remains.

This process can help to soften the fruit, making it easier to chew and digest.

This is especially important for people with digestive issues or those who have trouble chewing hard foods.
Actually I would think dates generally are easy / without problems to chew, I never had have a hard date (but I do not eat that much of not shredded ones), obviously there are such. The ones I had were quite soft or very soft by nature.

4. Drain the water from the dates and rinse them thoroughly.
But doesn't this mean to poor away / get rid of a part of the nutrients (being in the water)?

Does all of this also apply to date paste? Would think yes, it would have to if date paste really had the identical content, which apparently is the case.

I guess I'll try and see the difference between non-soaked and soaked dates. For the recipes I make it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I blend date paste (with water) or (without soaking) dates (with water) and use the puree directly, both seems to have the same consistency, the same effect after blending.

Thank you very much for the link!

Excuse me, I really would think, if soaked in hot water it will. In water under 42° (the limit from which nutrients should / can become unusable) it will not.

Yes, obviously the same with rice (not to recommend to eat, obviously), bulgur, vgetables etc., it is said a part of the nutrients go into the water. So it is better not to pour away the water or to boil so that no water remains.

Actually I would think dates generally are easy / without problems to chew, I never had have a hard date (but I do not eat that much of not shredded ones), obviously there are such. The ones I had were quite soft or very soft by nature.

But doesn't this mean to poor away / get rid of a part of the nutrients (being in the water)?

Does all of this also apply to date paste? Would think yes, it would have to if date paste really had the identical content, which apparently is the case.

I guess I'll try and see the difference between non-soaked and soaked dates. For the recipes I make it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I blend date paste (with water) or (without soaking) dates (with water) and use the puree directly, both seems to have the same consistency, the same effect after blending.

I don't really know whether you're looking to have a debate or just want some helpful advise/recipe.

I have been making date paste for donkey years and don't use my energy thinking about soaking in hot/warm water and about the
nutrient contents etc.
Moreover, it's not a sweetener that I use on a daily basis. Love the taste but it's still high in fructose/glucose. Love using it for making
a banana smoothie and/or a gorgeous sticky toffee pudding,just for an occasional treat.

I have a more relaxed approach to cooking and eating a healthy, balanced diet with the occasional treat. Sadly, I'm not the person who
will be able to help you. :)

I don't really know whether you're looking to have a debate or just want some helpful advise/recipe.
Actually, I'm not committed to anything, I would think. So just as you like it.Don't feel restricted. in any way. May be just some useful information would be good. And help / recipes would always be good as well, of course, thank you.

I have been making date paste for donkey years and don't use my energy thinking about soaking in hot/warm water and about the
nutrient contents etc.
Yes, for a very long time, sounds really great! Well, may be one should. I really can't imagine that it would cost so much energy that it would be an issue, but of course I would understand it if you just couldn't muster it. Some energy for thinking in general and especially for how to make your meals and about what to consume, about food, would be quite useful, I would think. But, of course, when nutrients do not matter there might be no need for using energy for thinking about this, perfectly clear.

but it's still high in fructose/glucose.
Is that good or bad? Any drawback with it?

Love using it for making
a banana smoothie and/or a gorgeous sticky toffee pudding for a treat.
Just some dates with some bananas in a blender? With water? Or soy milk or such? How does one make such a toffee pudding?

I have a more relaxed approach to cooking and eating a healthy, balanced diet with the occasional treat. Sadly, I'm not the person who
will be able to help you. :)
No, no, I absolutely would not say so, you are a person that already really did help me, thank you very much again. Well, yes, that might be a slight difference between us (that does not matter at all of course), I have a more or even...actually really dogged (not at all relaxed) approach to food, eating and everything else.

That is great, many thanks for the links. Is there somehow a method to show / find only the raw food recipes?

Cooking should also be fun and creative.
Yes, absolutely. But the fun...not so easy to get I guess.

I never follow a recipe and enjoy myself when making or recreating someone's dish.
Yes, sounds very good, or the first time follow the recipe (see how / if it works) and then the second time start (re)creating...

Many thanks!

That is great, many thanks for the links. Is there somehow a method to show / find only the raw food recipes?

We don't have such a section as raw food isn't very popular on this forum. You can always have a look at the following section and see
whether there are any raw food bloggers:

Soaking in water, just room temp, will make them easier to blend, right with the soak water.
Look up the best sweetener on nutritionfacts.org.
I can't link atm

Hello bijnada.nl!

Most dates we consume are dried dates the first picture are fresh dates, the second are dried, just for this purpose i would recommend dried dates.
I dont know whats available to you but i would recommend the cheaper viraities i would recommend iranian or tunesian dates for making paste, the majoul are most of the time the highest quality and more for eating as a whole, but its up to you, and i dont know what available to you.

Attachments

• how-to-choose-fresh-dates.jpg
    how-to-choose-fresh-dates.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Freshdates_570x.jpg
    Freshdates_570x.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 7