How cute. Look at that little fishy suffer.

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I went for a walk in my local park. A kindergartener held up a little fish to show me what he caught. The fish looked like he was having a difficult day as he suffocated. The dad told the kid to throw the fish back in the water because he was too small.

I saw a Youtube video where a puppy played with a live fish as he suffocated on the dry floor. The video was so cute that it got numerous views. I was so repulsed that I changed the page as soon as possible.

I saw another Youtube video where people celebrated eating a live fish. A professional chef prepared the fish by covering the fish's head with a wet towel while frying him alive. The objective was to make sure the fish could still move his head while the customer ate the cooked part. The customers laughed in amusement while they ate the fish.

Suppose somebody decided to fry a live puppy. They could perform the same ritual of frying the bottom half while leaving the top half alive. The puppy could move his head around while people ate fresh tender young puppy meat. The people who participated in the event could say they were doing it as part of some ancient ritual. Thus, anybody who criticized the video could be accused of not being culturally sensitive. Heck, we could even play the video to educate little kids about different cultures.

Unfortunately, discussing the suffering of a fish is not something that we discuss in polite conversation.

This is just vile.

It's bad enough seeing photos of the tedious cretins who have caught fish and feel the need to clutch it in their maggotty hands while staring gormlessly into a camera lens. I would steer a very wide course around anyone who could bring themselves to order a live fried fish.

OOOPPPPSSSS

I am sorry I offended people.

My point is that we humans are oblivious to the suffering of other individuals (animals). In addition, we find all kinds of creative ways to justify this abuse. Our capacity to abuse animals indicates our capacity to abuse other humans.

Thank goodness I did not offend you.

I recently learned that fish like to rub against other fish for emotional support. I think that is what triggered my emotions about eating fish.

A reasonable reaction... They're overlooked despite there being strong evidence that they have pain receptors that are as acute as any other vertebrate.

My apparent anger (which was possibly enhanced through a lens of whisky :p) was directed towards the fishermen I see where I live almost every day. I find it hard to see and wish there was any point in saying something to them but there isn't... But I'd have no problem speaking my mind if faced with someone eating a live fish - that's all I meant really. I didn't mean to come across as angry at you.