Homemade, vegan detergents

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I didn't know where to put it, but "home" sound not too bad place.

But are there anyone here that is making detergents on their own? Both for dishwasher and washing machine.

All my outdoors clothes, uniformpants and training clothes are washed in only water (they always get clean and doesn't smell anything bad). But I want to use some soap on my underwear, towels and bedsheets. And thought it perhaps was possible to make something myself, that is cheaper, vegan and more ecological than all that soap we're putting in the clothes...

Jen was using something called soap nuts, I think, at one point, in the washing machine. Not quite sure which kind of clothes she used it for. She put them into a little bag which she put in with the clothes.

I have never tried anything else except for the usual detergent products for the dish washer and washing machine. However, for cleaning the flat, I use alcohol vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. The former works wonders for lime scale and as a disinfectant.

Reactions: PTree15
I've never made my own laundry detergent but a quick search resulted in several options, most which seem to be a mixture of some form of soap, borax and "washing soda" (which I had to look up because I didn't know what it was).

I've been intrigued by soap nuts for awhile and would love to try them.

My friend makes her own laundry soap, but I'm not sure whether it's vegan. I would have to find the recipe, which she did give me years ago, but I've yet to try it out, mostly out of laziness. :D

I really admire people who make their own household cleaning products. I, however, do not.

I started buying soap on Etsy since I stopped using palm oil. I've considered trying some laundry soap from some of the sellers. I certainly use a much smaller amount of soap than is recommended. Including in the dishwasher which I only run once a week and things come out clean.

I tried grating bars of plant based castile soap years ago and mixing it with washing soda for laundry detergent, but that didn't go over too well. Gave up and just buy plant based laundry detergent from a local health store, though it costs an arm and a leg. I am very conservative with it. I am currently using Biokleen (doesn't test on animals and is plant derived).

I still do mirrors and windows with a little vinegar and water, and clean the stove, toaster, even bathtub, with some lemon juice and hot water. I am known to use tea tree oil to disinfect the toilet. But I also use some plant based commercial stuff too. I've tried very hard to avoid palm oil but in commercial dish and laundry soap that can be a challenge (it hides under names like sodium laureth sulfate etc).

I can't find the thread on reading thread titles as something else, but every time I see this title I read it as Homemade, vegan desserts. :D

Last edited:
It's not homemade but I use Home - ecoegg.com for laundry.

I also use vinegar and bicarb for cleaning. I cleaned my dishwasher earlier on and it worked wonders. I also add a few drops of lemon grass essentiel oil to give it a nice smell.