Homemade vegan cheese?

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at making my own vegan cheese. Has anyone tried it? How easy or difficult is it? Do you have a recipe to share?

Shoot...I made a recipe from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook last year and it was great. It was one of the block cheese but I can't remember which one. I made it with my girlfriend and we ate it on crackers. It was probably the regular cheddar one.

Not sure where the recipe came from--I copied it by hand when we were on holiday. have never made it--if you do let me know how it goes. I like that it is made without agar as that is hard to find here--and when you find it, it is £££.

Mostarella

2 cups water or non dairy milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup oats
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup arrowroot
3-4 TB lemon juice
1 TB onion powder
1 tsp salt

Lightly oil a 3 cup mold
Blend in a blender until very smooth.
heat in a pan over med heat until thick and smooth.
Pack in oiled container and refridgerate uncovered until cool
When cool, cover and chill over night.
The next day unmold with a wet or oiled knife
lasts 5-7 days in the fridge

Our favourite "cheddar" substitute is this one. it is runny so it is good for sauces, tastes delish on pizza, and can firm up in the fridge for spreading but not slicing. It has a sharp tangy quality I associate with cheddar.

1/2 cup non dairy milk
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 TB dehedrated onions
2 TB lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic
2 tsp grey poupon mustard

Blend like hell in a blender until smooth.

I'd love to figure out how to get it to be more solid and sliceable.

The mosserella is in The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook! I liked that one, but mine didn't firm up, but was great as a thick spread. It also made a LOT!
I added 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke.
That's a very handy cookbook to have. I just got mine out.

The mosserella is in The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook! I liked that one, but mine didn't firm up, but was great as a thick spread. It also made a LOT!
I added 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke.
That's a very handy cookbook to have. I just got mine out.

Ah I should have realized --when we go on holiday we go to public librarys to use the internet for free and when it is not my turn I copy recipes from vegan cookbooks onto scraps of paper. |how sad is that?

It would probably firm up better with agar. I recently saw a recipe for a good looking cheese that asked for one cup of agar! ****, that would cost like £5.

I never used agar, and would think jelling it wouldn't be so appealing.
It made a very tasty thick spread.
Looking back, I'm sure I used fresh garlic. Why wouldn't I? ;)

I tried to make "jello" using agar and fruit juice...it was awful...you could taste the agar which I had assumed was flavorless. Yuck.

I don't know? I just looked at the recipe, and does say for pizza topping. I'd think the quick melting, with the cornstarch, would make it weird textured.
I'm going to try it again and see if it sets better. I'm notorious for not following recipies.

Anyone tried anything recently?

I think I might try to do vegan feta for my wedding, but I'm scared... I can't use nuts, so I don't have a lot of options when it comes to tasty vegan cheeses. Pine nuts are OK as far as allergies go, but they're too expensive to feed 20 + people. I did a sunflower seed cheese once and I thought it was awful.

I found the cheddar recipe on line. Has anyone tried the recipe as I'd love to know what it tastes like ? I must admit that I'm a bit sceptical. ;)

http://veganguru.com/how-to-make-a-block-of-vegan-cheddar-cheese-uncheese/

Yeah, me too. Looks more funky than cheesy.

Sally, I have never made fake cheese but I have made plenty of tofu from scratch. When you are gathering and squeezing the curds, you can add herbs, spices, nut. yeast, etc., to give it different flavors. It can be a lot of fun and may get you close to what you're looking for. Takes a bit of time, though, and makes one hell of a mess!