Homemade vanilla

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Is anyone else making their own vanilla?

I made some about a year and a half ago and have almost used it all up, so it's time to make more. I should have started it months ago, but didn't have any more vanilla beans. This time I'm make three times as much, I use a lot of vanilla. :)
I got a good deal on vanilla beans on Amazon, 1/4 lb for $12.59 with free shipping. Now I just need to get the vodka.

I want to. I think it'd be interesting to do both vodka and whiskey and see how the final products compare. I honestly don't bake as much as I would like, so I don't use vanilla that often. Would make great gifts, though.

I did both vodka and whiskey when Jess, from VB started a thread on it...and I think it was just about a year and a half ago. They both came out amazing. I still have some. I also bought cute little bottles to give out at holiday time.

I got my beans on Amazon, also. I still have some in the refrigerator...I wonder if they go bad?

I've done half a litre of vodka and half a litre of gin (uh I didn't have anything else in the cupboard) - both taste good though.I really want to do a whiskey, I will when I run out, but it'll be a while.

Also, you can leave 20% of the extract in the bottle, top up with spirit and leave it for a few months. So you don't need to buy new beans every time. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I did both vodka and whiskey when Jess, from VB started a thread on it...and I think it was just about a year and a half ago. They both came out amazing. I still have some. I also bought cute little bottles to give out at holiday time.

I got my beans on Amazon, also. I still have some in the refrigerator...I wonder if they go bad?[/quote]

It's not the ideal place to store them as they are prone to mould. Place them into an airtight container and store in a dark cupboard.

For those who don't like using alcohol another easy recipe is Vanilla Bean Sugar.

225 g castor sugar ( 1 cup superfine sugar) You can also double the amount.
1 plump, sticky fragant vanilla bean cut up into small pieces.

Place the vanilla into a small food processor and pulse several times. Add the sugar and pulse until
you obtain a fine powder. If you do have any large bits, just sieve them.
Store in an airtight container in a cupboard. Will keep for several months.

Perfect for coffee, yogurts, smoothies or baking.