Home Safety

Chryssie

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I am very paranoid about leaving a slow cooker on while not at home and have never done so. The TV show "This is Us" reinforced this when it was a slow cooker fire that killed Jack! :D I also do not leave the dryer on if I leave the house. Or the dishwasher or any other appliance!

I am very paranoid about leaving a slow cooker on while not at home and have never done so. The TV show "This is Us" reinforced this when it was a slow cooker fire that killed Jack! :D I also do not leave the dryer on if I leave the house. Or the dishwasher or any other appliance!
Same here.

Reactions: Emma JC
That is pretty paranoid. (or cautious if I wanted to be kind). Hey! are you one of those people who unplug their appliances when not using them? And what about a lighting rod on your roof.

In Florida, someone once died from an iguana falling out of tree, too.

Meanwhile, I traded in my slow cooker for an InstantPot it has at least two fuses to protect you from fires.

Reactions: Emma JC
That is pretty paranoid. (or cautious if I wanted to be kind). Hey! are you one of those people who unplug their appliances when not using them? And what about a lighting rod on your roof.

In Florida, someone once died from an iguana falling out of tree, too.

Meanwhile, I traded in my slow cooker for an InstantPot it has at least two fuses to protect you from fires.
I'm not 100%, but I did grow up with that thinking.

Reactions: Lou
The This Is Us thing is a thing!

Could a slow cooker kill you?

• Agree
Reactions: Chryssie and silva
I went to see the refrigerator--the scratches were on the side against a cupboard, and there were just two dime size dings on the front, which will easily be covered by pics or pretty magnets.
I did purchase it! :jump:
Now to decide if I should spend the money on their big 5 year warranty--which will bring it to the regular price 🙄

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Chryssie
I remember the furor over Crock Pots after the This is Us episode! People get really into TV shows especially this one that is so good.

I remember the furor over Crock Pots after the This is Us episode! People get really into TV shows especially this one that is so good.
Did it change? I watched the pilot and was yelling at them all!

I went to see the refrigerator--the scratches were on the side against a cupboard, and there were just two dime size dings on the front, which will easily be covered by pics or pretty magnets.
I did purchase it! :jump:
Now to decide if I should spend the money on their big 5 year warranty--which will bring it to the regular price 🙄

Off topic here but do check to see whether you already have the warranty with either your bank card or via your home insurance. Mine covers all appliances except for computers. Fridges rarely break down within the first 5 years so is it worth forking out a large amount of money ?

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and KLS52
General rule of thumb is to not take the warranties offered. I imagine there are exceptions to the rule.

But Do You Need That Insurance?

Warranty providers know that in most cases you won’t actually need the coverage they offer. According to Consumer Reports, about 40% of new refrigerators will need a repair within their first five years of use. That percentage is even smaller for other categories—it’s 30% for dishwashers, for example, and 20% for clothes dryers.4

When there is a problem with those products, the consumer organization says the price of an average repair is no more than the cost of the warranty.4 Certainly, some shoppers experience unusually pricey defects and end up happy that they bought extra coverage, but they’re the minority. That’s why experts often advise consumers to consider carefully whether a warranty is necessary before handing over their money. “Today’s appliances are fairly reliable,” Dan DiClerico of HomeAdvisor.com told Consumer Reports in 2018. “The chance that your refrigerator or dishwasher actually needs a repair during the extended warranty period is pretty low.”

I know it's mostly a scam. You have to buy them right off while the original warranty is in effect, so that year is completely wasted. After the original warranty it's a big gamble.
I actually had a new car once, and fell for buying the extended warranty. It's transmission failed about 2nd month it's own warranty ended, so I was very fortunate I got the added one, or would have spend far more to fix it out of pocket 😱
It's all a gamble. There are so many different extended coverages out there I will look at them, and research the history of this fridge

Reactions: KLS52
I am the same. If I'm not going to be home, there's no slow cooking or drying of laundry or anything else that could remotely start a fire.

I had a house burn down on me back in the 80's. We were very lucky to escape or I should say, wake up. The fire marshal said we were very lucky to have survived, period. This was caused by a defective chimney and a blazing wood-stove. We had no way of knowing anything was wrong, as we slept, until it was far too late....well almost. At least we got out! There's a lot more to this story, but I'm sure you understand the lasting impact it had on me.

So in my humble opinion I would not call this paranoid at all. I would call it being smart, cautious, and I don't blame you one bit. No one expects a fire until it happens. It could be 9999/10000 slow cookers that work flawlessly or that one very old one that finally packs it in. I'd rather be paranoid and have a place to live when I get home.

One bit of advice I would make to everyone, use smoke alarms, and check the batteries annually.

Modern (and not fictional slow cookers) have thermal fuses. in fact most home appliances have fuses. My IP has both an electrical and a thermal fume.
Yes, fuses can fail.
on further research, there have been some fires caused by crockpots. so maybe your paranoia is almost justified. But something like 2000 times more house fires were caused by lightning.
but is IS a good idea to keep your appliances unplugged when you are not using them. But I think that is more for the good of the appliance than for your safety.

And please, unlike Jack Pearson, keep batteries in your smoke detector.

It’s all about peace of mind. For someone like myself who gets bouts of anxiety, if pulling plugs is going to help me relax when not home, it’s a small price to pay.
I will say I’m much less anxious since retiring and moving. My main worry now is my three cats, making sure they are happy and safe. I’m going to talk to husband about the door that leads from the house to the garage. I don’t like that the cats sometimes sit right by the door. It’s ok when I know the garage door is closed. But sometimes it’s left open when husband is doing work. I’m thinking maybe adding a screen door on the inside will add an extra layer of protection. That way we can see, when we open the wooden door, if they are sitting right there on the other side of the screen door.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
It’s all about peace of mind. For someone like myself who gets bouts of anxiety, if pulling plugs is going to help me relax when not home, it’s a small price to pay.
I will say I’m much less anxious since retiring and moving.

I don't leave the plugs in except for all of the appliances that are fitted. In the UK, they have a switch next to the plug and don't have to remove it.

1620027287669.png

I don’t like that the cats sometimes sit right by the door. It’s ok when I know the garage door is closed. But sometimes it’s left open when husband is doing work. I’m thinking maybe adding a screen door on the inside will add an extra layer of protection. That way we can see, when we open the wooden door, if they are sitting right there on the other side of the screen door.

That's a good idea as animals have a way to dash out of a door if given the opportunity. Garage doors are never safe and sometimes don't close completely.

For the majority of us the two main killers in our homes are fire and floods/water damage. There are still many pets that are abandoned when homes flood.

I don't leave the plugs in except for all of the appliances that are fitted. In the UK, they have a switch next to the plug and don't have to remove it.

That's a good idea as animals have a way to dash out of a door if given the opportunity. Garage doors are never safe and sometimes don't close completely.
That’s so cool about the plugs in the UK!

Luckily none of my cats are dashers. But it’s so stressful for me. If I lived alone it wouldn’t be an issue. Husband and son are really very careful and super vigilant. I just don’t trust easily. The electric garage door isn’t even a concern for me. It closes slowly and has a safety sensor that stops it from descending if something crosses under it. Of course there is always a possibility of malfunction.
I don’t even know if they would even try and run out if they got into the garage while the garage door is up. I just prefer to nip it in the bud. Now to break it to husband that he has another household project haha. I do anticipate resistance. The area is small and it may not be feasible to do. The door would have to open inward and I do see it as being an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
years ago I came home to find my wide bedroom window screen had fallen outside. It was the second floor, and the window was left open. My Sylvie was gone. I too the next two days off work, searching the neighborhood, calling, posting. The third day we found her under the neighbors stairs! They had been on vacation, and while we searched around their house, we didn't notice the small opening in the encasement. Their dogs immediately found someone was under there

I never open any window when i'm not there anymore!

Another thing--a carbon monoxide detector. When they first came out I bought one, then I won one in a raffle. I set the new one up and it went off! One took readings, the other simply had an alarm. I forget which one detected the co, it was minimal, but the flue on my furnace had stuck shut!

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52