Home made cleaning products

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone make and use their own home made cleaning products?

I have always used newspaper and vinegar for cleaning glass but that's it.

My old cleaning products are gradually running down and I have been looking into vegan friendly products that have not been tested on animals. But am also considering more environmentally friendly options if possible.

Instead of kitchen/bathroom cleaning I'll be using distilled vinegar and water from a spray bottle.
I have read about using bicarbonate of soda for slow flowing drains (which I have).
I have also found a good 'recipe' for furniture polish.
Am a little overwhelmed with the options for home made laundry soap/detergent so any advice welcomed. I'm hesitant as I don't want to break the machine! Lol.
Also any ideas for washing up liquid? Alternative to bleach for the toilets? Stain remover?

Thanks!! xxx

Lemons are anti-bacterial, as well as having bleaching effects.

I have parrots, who are extremely sensitive to most cleaning products, so I use vinegar, baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), a steamer, and little else. I use Dawn original liquid for dishes - it's safe to use on animals, so I like to keep some around in any case.

Pickle Juice posted a recipe for laundry detergent some time ago. I don't remember where, and I need to copy it and try it.

ETA: Here's Pickle Juice's recipe for laundry detergent: http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/home-made-laundry-soap.240/

I use a lot of fresh lemons in cooking and save the lemon rinds for cleaning. I zoosh one in my vitamix with a drop of soap and some water to freshen it or use them to scrub soapscum from the tub with bicarb of soda. Use it to twist of tap heads where gunk is built up.

I make a spray cleaner--1/2 cheap white vinegar, 1/2 water, a squeeze of lemon juice (for smell) and a tsp of liquid soap plus some tea tree oil. it cleans well.