Holiday food packing?

Daxx

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Does anyone have any food packing tips for ~a week's self catering? Often rental properties provide some tea bags, fd coffee, salt and pepper, but that's about it. There's usually more salt sachets than I'd use in a month, and fewer tea bags than I'd use in a week.

What essentials do you take with you to have a reasonably stocked kitchen? These are things that you wouldn't want to buy and bring back with you. I find it hard to decide which herbs and spices to pack. For me it involves some brutal choices: smoked paprika a must, but I wouldn't bring dried dill and oregano, so I bring mixed herbs which is an ersatz compromise for both.

Does anyone have any food packing tips for ~a week's self catering?
Then there is the question what cooking tools do they have.

I haven't done anything like this in years but I would bring my own coffee and coffee maker.
a cooler full of juice and milk. and make up a half gallon of iced tea, too. berries, apples and bananas.

then I would watch one of those YouTube chefs who do a weeks worth of food prep in an hour.
Pack up the meals in the cooler too

Maybe make a few days worth of OverNightOats. and bring a box of cold cereal.
Lunches could also be made in bulk. or just pack stuff for sandwiches

Well here's my two cents. I'd try to plan ahead each meal you plan on cooking. Then I'd prepare a list to accommodate that menu. I think we all tend to over-pack. Keep it simple. You know what you like. Just make sure you have everything to accommodate those likes.

As Lou mentioned, I would ensure you bring kitchen tools you have to have. Maybe it's tongs or a whisk or some special seasoning. Like the boy scouts always say, "be prepared". My favorite travel tool is my vacuum sealer.

Reactions: Emma JC
Then there is the question what cooking tools do they have.
I always book places with at least a hob and the main utensils. I won't do lots of batch prep as cooking is part of the fun for me, in fact it can be more fun trying to get by when there's a simpler set up than you're used to (though maybe not quite on the George Egg scale!).

I like the oats idea. I'll pack up a few pots of ready mixed porridge. That way I can have it just how I like it, and not have to lug the bags of ingredients about.
Well here's my two cents. I'd try to plan ahead each meal you plan on cooking.

That's a good point. While I won't know every meal, I certainly know that I'll have a curry, a bolognese and a chilli. Come to think of it, variations on that are basically all I ever have!

I've just bought a pack of tiny 15ml jars so I can pack more of the niche ingredients without weighing me down.

Reactions: Lou
please please please don't forget the garlic powder and the onion powder :D

don't think I could exist without at least the garlic

oats/pasta/rice
cans of beans/bread
peanut butter/jam
a few dates/raisins
a few ready made packages like Indian Tasty Bites, perfect if there is a microwave and can be done on a stovetop
hummus

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

1. Pack items that are easy to store and won’t spoil easily. Choose canned goods, dried fruits and nuts, and other non-perishable items that will last for several days or weeks.
2. Choose food that won’t require a lot of preparation or cooking. Pre-cooked meals, pre-made sandwiches and salads, and snack mixes are all great options.
3. Make sure to include food that will provide enough nutrition throughout your trip. Choose items with plenty of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates.
4. Don’t forget to include snacks to keep everyone happy and energized. Granola bars, trail mix, and jerky are all great options.
5. Consider packing a cooler to keep perishables fresh. If you’re traveling in a car, you can pack items like yogurt, cheese, and deli meat.
6. Bring plenty of water and other drinks. If you’re going to be in a hot climate, you might want to consider bringing powdered drink mixes or electrolyte drinks as well.
7. Pack food in airtight containers and bags to keep them fresh and prevent spoilage.
8. Don’t forget to bring utensils, plates, and cups. Reusable items are a great option as they will save you money and help to reduce waste.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52