EU Hola everybody!

klaoe

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello everybody,

I'm klaoe, I have been vegan since 2012. I am a plant based chef and I am very pleased to have found this forum.

After living in many places around the world I decided it was time to leave the urban jungle and move somewhere I could have my little garden to grow some of my food. I have always been concerned about the fragile food system we have in the actual world. So in 2018 we moved to a little hamlet somewhere in the north of Spain, where I am growing my own organic food. We just finished to build a little greenhouse with 100% recycled materials, just a few days ago.

This is the second year I am growing my veggies, so I doubled the size of the plot I am working on, since I have acquired a bit more confidence with the environment and the land. I work everything by hand which is kind of hard but so satisfying, I don't need to produce much we are 2 humans and 2 dogs.

Since I am here I do not have of course the same life I used to have in the city but I have more space, no pollution, a piece of land to work on, silence, birds, foxes, wild boars, roe deers, water streams, trees...and watching the seeds becoming seedlings, and them becoming plants, and after weeks or months all of those plants becoming my fruits and vegetables is one of the greatest little thing I have done in my whole life.

Sometimes we look for happiness in the wrong direction while the beginning of it could be found in such small things.
I believe in the importance of food sovereignty, I think people should take back control over their food system by having the opportunity to grow their own food, so they will also acquire the knowledge of working the land.

So, if you are good at it and have any good suggestion for growing veggies please let me know or if you need any suggestion with your vegan cooking please get in touch, I will be happy to help if I can ;-)

#foodsovereignty

🐲klaoe

Welcome, klaoe! Well done, that sounds very impressive! What vegetables do you grow in your garden?

By coincidence, just before reading your post I was watching a youtube video about Spain.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
Welcome, klaoe! Well done, that sounds very impressive! What vegetables do you grow in your garden?

By coincidence, just before reading your post I was watching a youtube video about Spain.

Hello @Indian Summer, at the moment I am growing 4 variety of tomatoes (ralf, marazul, cherry, san Marzano), potatoes, 2 types of peppers (bell peppers, Padrón), arugula, 4 variety of lettuces (oak leaf, Lollo Rosso, and two others that I don't remember the name, but they are green), butternut squash, pumpkin, carrots, celery, kale, cabbage, zucchini, leaks, garlic, parsley, basil, Thai aubergines, onions, phisalys, beetroot, Thai chilli and Peperoncino calabrese.

In the plot we also have 1 lemon tree, 1 orange tree, 6 apple trees, 1 figs tree, 1 plum tree and 1 peach tree. And by walking on the hamlet we can collect other things such as laurel leaves all year round, chestnuts and boletus edulis in autumn or wild strawberries now in spring.

Where in Spain? This is such a nice country to live if you want good quality food. The land is so generous!

Hello @Indian Summer, at the moment I am growing 4 variety of tomatoes (ralf, marazul, cherry, san Marzano), potatoes, 2 types of peppers (bell peppers, Padrón), arugula, 4 variety of lettuces (oak leaf, Lollo Rosso, and two others that I don't remember the name, but they are green), butternut squash, pumpkin, carrots, celery, kale, cabbage, zucchini, leaks, garlic, parsley, basil, Thai aubergines, onions, phisalys, beetroot, Thai chilli and Peperoncino calabrese.

In the plot we also have 1 lemon tree, 1 orange tree, 6 apple trees, 1 figs tree, 1 plum tree and 1 peach tree. And by walking on the hamlet we can collect other things such as laurel leaves all year round, chestnuts and boletus edulis in autumn or wild strawberries now in spring.
Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing!

Where in Spain? This is such a nice country to live if you want good quality food. The land is so generous!
It was a history video about the run-up to the civil war - deeply troubled times :( Maybe I'll find a video about growing vegetables in Spain to watch next, so my knowledge of the country becomes a bit more balanced!

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and klaoe
Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing!

It was a history video about the run-up to the civil war - deeply troubled times :( Maybe I'll find a video about growing vegetables in Spain to watch next, so my knowledge of the country becomes a bit more balanced!

Uff! That was a very dark moment here, many people killed, a long horrible moment in Spanish history. Unfortunately sometimes it seems some people do not know their own history and that create further problems.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Uff! That was a very dark moment here, many people killed, a long horrible moment in Spanish history. Unfortunately sometimes it seems some people do not know their own history and that create further problems.
I'm American and I know that as a fact!

Welcome! We certainly do love to talk about food---and need to start more about gardening!
Every year I want to start one, but I either don't do it right, or not enough. This year I really do want to grown food!

Reactions: Emma JC and klaoe
I'm American and I know that as a fact!

Welcome! We certainly do love to talk about food---and need to start more about gardening!
Every year I want to start one, but I either don't do it right, or not enough. This year I really do want to grown food!

Do it! If you have the space go ahead, you will not regret it. Start with the herbs ;-)

Do it! If you have the space go ahead, you will not regret it. Start with the herbs ;-)
I've only grown herbs (mostly basil), and that's because I spend a lot of time away from home during the summer, as my folks have a little beach cottage, but I think this year might be different in that regard with all the social distancing measures. I might try some deck tomato plants as well. I so love fresh tomatoes.