News Hitler's house empty since 2011

:hmm:
I would have thought some of his fans wanted to rent it...

That is exactly the reason why since 1972, the Republic of Austria has been paying the rent to the owner of the building. In order to avoid that this house is turned into a shrine for Hitler devotees, it is only allowed to be rented out for "educational purposes".

The last tenant, a workshop for disabled people left the building in 2011 because the owner refused to make measures to make the building accessible for wheelchairs :mad:

Since then, there were a number of tries to get, e.g. a public school or a help organization into the building, but according to the official contacts the owner has always refused those contracts. (My personal view is that this owner is possibly proud herself of the history of the house and her tenant and does not want left-wing help organizations to "tarnish" that history, or that she would like to sell it to people offering more money because of the history :hmm:)

So the latest update is that the Austrian Parliament has recently voted on a law to nationalize the building and pay a restitution fee to the owner.

I wonder if Hermann Göring's house still stands? Or Heinrich Himmler's? Or Joseph Goebbel's? Or Alfred Rosenberg's? These men were on a similar level of evil for their parts in the Nazi regime, yet don't have nearly the same infamy.