OSes Historical OS desktop environments (pictures)

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I came recently across this article with pictures and fun facts about some of the many desktop environments, from the early days to more recent times.

Do you see any that you recognise? Are there any others that you feel should have been mentioned?

I remember using the Atari ST 1040 in school around 1989-1991, and it had a desktop environment that looked a lot like the early Apple, and may the GEOS shown in the article.

OP
OP
Indian Summer

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I remember using the Atari ST 1040 in school around 1989-1991, and it had a desktop environment that looked a lot like the early Apple, and may the GEOS shown in the article.
It turns out the Atari ST had a version of another desktop environment shown in the article I posted in the OP, namely GEM. However, it's worth noting that the similarity to the Apple Macintosh was a definite thing according to this source:
Due to its graphical user inferface, it was known as the "Jackintosh”, a reference to Jack Tramiel.

The Atari ST was part of the 16/32 bit generation of home computers, based on the Motorola 68000 CPU, with 512 KB of RAM or more, and 3½" double-sided double-density floppy disks as storage (nominally 720 KB). It was similar to other contemporary machines which used the Motorola 68000, the Apple Macintosh and the Commodore Amiga. Preceding the Amiga's commercial release by almost two months, the Atari ST was the first computer to come with a fully bit-mapped color GUI, using a version of Digital Research's GEM released that February.

OP
OP
Indian Summer

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A couple of things that strike me reading this article and others like it:
  • Microsoft somehow ended up as the 'villain' even though Apple and others were also quite evil. Apple sued Digital Research, and won(!!!), for their GEM graphical environment, because it was "similar" to Apple's Lisa and Mackintosh graphical environments ...! And for anyone familiar with the "Unix wars", you'll be aware that the different Unix companies also frequently attempted to use the courts against the competitors.
  • The article claims little progress has been made over the years in graphical desktop environments since the beginning. Maybe that is true. And I wonder what the reasons are? I think one reason is the users' conservative attitude. Whenever someone tries to do something new, loads of users complain vehemently. For example, Ubuntu Unity received a lot of hate. Likewise with Gnome 3 and now Gnome 40. Personally, while I think it's fun to look back at some of the old desktop environments, I'm veeery happy for the progress that's been made despite all the backlash.
  • Where will graphical desktop environments go in the future? What new features will we see? What company / project will develop them first? Will voice commands ever become a useable thing? Hand movements? How much longer will we keep the mouse?

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This thread reminded me of a video I caught yesterday. Talk about old computer systems. This was quite interesting.