Hi to all

Hello all

I am new to vegan. Have been on a diet and lost more than 15 kg.

Got rid of 5 food groups that I am allergic to.

Saw The Game Changers and Seaspircy and Conspiracy - realised that I was nearly there.

Can anyone direct me a thread that already discusses the mix of vegetable protein sources to cover all bases as such.

Understand from reading this forum that B12 is needed as a supplement regardless of the votable mix you consume - is this correct.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
The Vegan Society has published this vegan visual nutrition guide: https://www.vegansociety.com/sites/default/files/uploads/downloads/The Vegan Eatwell Guide_2.pdf

The Vegan Society recommends that vegans supplement with vitamin B12, vitamin D, iodine, and selenium. They sell a very low-cost supplement that includes these nutrients: VEG 1 Vegan Supplements

If you need to avoid soy, gluten, and rice, then maybe traditional Mexican and South American cuisine would be enjoyable/suitable. Traditionally (before the arrival of Europeans), these cuisines contained no soybeans, no wheat, and no rice. Instead, they were based around beans, corn, and potatoes.

Some traditional Central and Southern African dishes are based around beans and starchy root vegetables.

Beans and lentils can be made into tacos, burritos, soups, and stews. No need to get complicated. A simple soup of lentils, potatoes, kale, and sauce can be very satisfying - in fact, this soup has a name: Portuguese "caldo verde". A bowl of pinto beans, corn, salsa, and avocado chunks is also very good.

Corn is available fresh, and also as tortillas and polenta (Italian cornmeal, which can be sliced/fried, or boiled with water to make porridge). Corn is also available in noodle form, though this is less common. Corn bread is popular, but many store-bought brands also contain wheat.
1619665283627.png
Russet (brown-skin) potatoes are popular for baking, but the various "waxy" potatoes (yellow- or red-skinned) are better for boiling. Potatoes can be good with ketchup, salsa, or (vegan) steak sauce. They can be thinly sliced and quickly baked in a toaster oven. You can pierce the skins with a fork, and cook them right in the microwave oven.

Vegan non-soy/wheat sauces include hummus (watch for soybean oil), mustard, red pepper sauce, salsa, marinara sauce, vinegars (including balsamic and wine), plus the wide range of purpose-made vegan sauces.

It sounds like you can eat any fruit or vegetable, which is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Hi

Excellent information.

This will be easy thanks to all your help.

Thank you all again.

Cheers

Reactions: Emma JC
So far no regrets.

Protein not an issue.

Better energy levels. Walking longer up steep stairs and not fatiguing and quicker recovery. All the work I did inteh last 6 months of my detox has paid off.

Eating less fruit so the blood sugar levels are evening out - like the Netflix program mentored - What is health.

So far no regrets.

Protein not an issue.

Better energy levels. Walking longer up steep stairs and not fatiguing and quicker recovery. All the work I did inteh last 6 months of my detox has paid off.

Eating less fruit so the blood sugar levels are evening out - like the Netflix program mentored - What is health.

Eating fruit will not raise your blod sugar. Insulin resistance is not caused by eating sugar or carbohydrates; it's caused by eating too much fat. Rather than avoid fruits, which are some of the healthiest foods you can eat, you would do better to avoid oils and high-fat foods.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, and if you believe all of it, you will soon be avoiding everything that is good for you. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine produces a podcast called The Exam Room, where they talk to medical doctors and researchers about nutrition. It has helped me a lot. I suggest you check it out. It's also available on YouTube.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Eating fruit will not raise your blod sugar.
It's been a while since I read a lot about nutrition, but I'm fairly confident eating fruit will raise your blood sugar as it contains fruit sugar which is a kind of "fast" carbohydrate that the body can use right away for energy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's of course only temporary, but if the blood sugar spikes a lot, then you might not feel your best, especially at the tail end of the spike. I suppose the trick is to eat fruit with other meals (containing slower carbs, protein and fat) to avoid these spikes.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
I meant that eating fruit will not cause long-term blood-sugar problems. I believe that was clear from the rest of my post.

Eating fruit is not like eating table sugar. Fruit has a lot of fiber in it, so you don't absorb the sugar immediately the way you would absorb the sugar in a can of soda. I've never heard any dietician or medical doctor say that fruit should not be eaten by itself. On the contrary, they talk about people reversing their diabetes simply by going on a low-fat vegan diet.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that the same person would be allergic to gluten, soy, and rice. Celiac disease affects about 1% of people, and a soy allergy has got to be even more rare. And rice is one of the safest foods for the body -- so safe that people go on a rice-heavy diet to pinpoint their food allergies. It's much more likely that the OP has messed up their gut microbiome through years or decades of eating a low-fiber diet of animal flesh and secretions. A few months of eating a whole-foods plant based diet would likely solve their problems, but instead, they've declared that they will avoid major food groups. Before you know it, they will conclude that they can't get enough energy on a vegan diet and go back to eating animals.

I am not a dietician, which is why I referred the person to the PCRM.

It's been a while since I read a lot about nutrition, but I'm fairly confident eating fruit will raise your blood sugar as it contains fruit sugar which is a kind of "fast" carbohydrate that the body can use right away for energy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's of course only temporary, but if the blood sugar spikes a lot, then you might not feel your best, especially at the tail end of the spike. I suppose the trick is to eat fruit with other meals (containing slower carbs, protein and fat) to avoid these spikes.

Last edited:
not so.

BTW, any and all carbs will raise your blood sugar levels.
the deal is that whole fruit doesn't spike your blood sugar (which is the cause of over-insulin production)
You see, fruit contains fiber. and the fiber slows down the absorption of sugar in your gut.
Many fruits are high in fiber, too. Fiber slows digestion, helping to prevent blood sugar spikes.

Its actually a bit more complicated. you have to understand Net Carbs and glycemic index. but you can simply with just a few rules. And of course it becomes way more important if you actually have diabetes or prediabetes.

maybe rule one is not to eat too many carbs all at once.

Hi

Any suggestions, information and experience about protein powders?

Hello all

I am new to vegan. Have been on a diet and lost more than 15 kg.

Got rid of 5 food groups that I am allergic to.

Saw The Game Changers and Seaspircy and Conspiracy - realised that I was nearly there.

Can anyone direct me a thread that already discusses the mix of vegetable protein sources to cover all bases as such.

Understand from reading this forum that B12 is needed as a supplement regardless of the votable mix you consume - is this correct.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Congratulations and welcome to a better life! If you eat your “G-Bombs” (greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds) every day you will be healthy. Dr. Fuhrman is one of many vegan doctors in the Physicians Committee that I follow. I also take his daily vitamin. I supplement with plant Omega 3 oil every day. I have been vegan for many years (almost my whole life, although when younger I did not know that I was vegan as I was told by many I was crazy because I could not tolerate any animal products...turned my stomach). After being literally forced to eat animal products for some time when younger, I was able to go back to vegan when I got older and on my own. When not vegan, I had all kinds of health issues. After going back to vegan, I have no, absolutely no, health issues. I find it frustrating when people (who are sick with all kinds of issues) tell me to be careful that I wont get enough vitamins being vegan. My blood work shows that I’m in the optimum range in every test and I am on no medication whatsoever...and I am 52. And I easily remain in a good BMI range. I am not vegan solely for health and mostly for the innocent souls sharing our planet.

• Friendly
Thank you. Still have no desire to eat any meat. Use Oat milk with extra B12 other than that no other supplements. No desire to change back to old diet. Allergen and reaction free!