UK Hi new here & need some advise Pls

Neil newlife

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Ok so I'm not a Vegan, but also I'm not a meat lover . After being diagnosed with critical hypertension
289/130 bp :( and a few days in hospital also a kidney count of 60 when it should be 90 . The advise from the GP was look on the internet
great ( not ) . I need a new start in life and change my nutrition and eating habits that's my first step . Can anyone point me in the direction of
a eating plan what is good for lowering blood pressure , but also low potassium diet . some things that are good for the blood are bad for kidney
and vise versa. Any advise would be very much apprecia..ted

Any advise would be very much apprecia..ted

Your GP sounds like an idiot. What kind of advice is to look on the internet. You could end up on a keto or paleo diet for god's sake.

Hopefully you made this your first stop.

Maybe the best advice you'll get is to go Whole Food Plants Based. There are many versions of it but basically they all have the following in common: A minimum of meat, dairy, oils, and sugars.

One good place to start is the documentary Forks Over Knives. It's a little long in the tooth but still a great place to start. If you are looking for a doc that is newer and slicker than you want What the Health?

Get a copy of Eat To Live or How Not to Die. You don't need both. they are both pretty similar. How Not To Die is the newer of the two. How Not to Die is written by Gregar who runs Nutrition Facts which produces a lot of articles and videos.

McDougal, Campbell, Eddlestien, Barnard, Fuhrman, and Gregar are the doctors who spearhead WFPB diets. they all have books that have different slants or emphasis. but they are all basically the same. Just grab a book and get started. The nice thing is a lot of their books have companions. what is particualry useful is the companion cookbooks.

If your library or bookstore is open I would recommend just going over there and grabbing all the WFPB diet books and peruse them. Probably one will appeal to you.

In the meantime, there are some good websites that can help you get started.

Welcome aboard. Good luck. and stop by again.

Ok so I'm not a Vegan, but also I'm not a meat lover . After being diagnosed with critical hypertension
289/130 bp :( and a few days in hospital also a kidney count of 60 when it should be 90 . The advise from the GP was look on the internet
great ( not ) . I need a new start in life and change my nutrition and eating habits that's my first step . Can anyone point me in the direction of
a eating plan what is good for lowering blood pressure , but also low potassium diet . some things that are good for the blood are bad for kidney
and vise versa. Any advise would be very much apprecia..ted

Hi Neil,

Considering that your health issues are potentially life-threatening, I'm disappointed that your GP didn't provide more specific dietary advice.

I would say that, given your health issues, it's not a good idea to plan your new diet by yourself. There's too much at stake. Please consider making an appointment with a Registered Dietitian (RD) who specializes in cardiovascular health and renal (kidney) health. An RD who also specializes in vegetarian nutrition could be especially helpful, as properly-planned vegetarian/vegan diets can be very effective for improving heart and kidney health.
In the UK, you can find a local Registered Dietitiawn through the website of the British Dietetic Association: Find a dietitian near me

Your GP sounds like an idiot. What kind of advice is to look on the internet. You could end up on a keto or paleo diet for god's sake.

Hopefully you made this your first stop.

Maybe the best advice you'll get is to go Whole Food Plants Based. There are many versions of it but basically they all have the following in common: A minimum of meat, dairy, oils, and sugars.

One good place to start is the documentary Forks Over Knives. It's a little long in the tooth but still a great place to start. If you are looking for a doc that is newer and slicker than you want What the Health?

Get a copy of Eat To Live or How Not to Die. You don't need both. they are both pretty similar. How Not To Die is the newer of the two. How Not to Die is written by Gregar who runs Nutrition Facts which produces a lot of articles and videos.

McDougal, Campbell, Eddlestien, Barnard, Fuhrman, and Gregar are the doctors who spearhead WFPB diets. they all have books that have different slants or emphasis. but they are all basically the same. Just grab a book and get started. The nice thing is a lot of their books have companions. what is particualry useful is the companion cookbooks.

If your library or bookstore is open I would recommend just going over there and grabbing all the WFPB diet books and peruse them. Probably one will appeal to you.

In the meantime, there are some good websites that can help you get started.

Welcome aboard. Good luck. and stop by again.
Thank you so much , very much appreciated . I will do this

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Hi Neil,

Considering that your health issues are potentially life-threatening, I'm disappointed that your GP didn't provide more specific dietary advice.

I would say that, given your health issues, it's not a good idea to plan your new diet by yourself. There's too much at stake. Please consider making an appointment with a Registered Dietitian (RD) who specializes in cardiovascular health and renal (kidney) health. An RD who also specializes in vegetarian nutrition could be especially helpful, as properly-planned vegetarian/vegan diets can be very effective for improving heart and kidney health.
In the UK, you can find a local Registered Dietitiawn through the website of the British Dietetic Association: Find a dietitian near me
Thank you for getting back to me , I have found a Dietitian in my area from the web site , I will get in contact with her .many thanks Neil

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou