Hey, i'm candela, or candy for short!

Candela

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
So, I'm currently a simple vegetarian, but I've really been looking into going vegan, especially after watching documentaries like "Forks over Knives" and "What the Health." I mainly came to ask questions on certain things, but now I see all the other forums and this may be more for me now too.

Welcome! I'm relatively new here too. Not a lively forum but if you want answers, there are plenty of people willing to offer you advice. They seem like a nice bunch of people.

PM

Welcome both of you.

Being vegan isn't difficult if you are committed to it. I was a vegetarian who went to a vegan roadshow to find tips on how to become vegan, but after a day of listening to talks and seeing the truth of the dairy industry I came out a vegan and just got on with it. I have vegan cookbooks and have just learned as I have gone on. Because for me it is a very emotional thing, not a diet, I find it easy and it makes me feel happy deep down that I am not having anything to do with animal suffering. So, food, clothing, toiletries, cleaning stuff, make-up the lot. Luckily I am not on any medication so do not have that dilemma at present. It's easy if it's what you want to do. You will make mistakes but learn from them and just keep going. A chap giving one of the talks told us that you cannot be 100% vegan as we will not know the content of everything, but we can do our best to keep our bodies and lives free from the causes of suffering of others. As a side-effect I have lost lots of weight and am so much fitter and healthier.

In the beginning I was concerned about vitamins and B12 (which makes me irritable) but as time has gone on I have learned to listen to my body and so rarely need the supplements anymore. If I do feel a bit low I take a vegan multivitamin but most of the time I'm fine. When reading dietary advice remember that you are unique, your lifestyle, the way that your body metabolises stuff, what you are able to tolerate (tofu gives me terrible indigestion, some people live on it) are all personal to you. Try to listen to your body, see how things sit with you and then work out your own best way. There is lots of good information on recipes and products and how not to be too upset if you fail now and again on this forum.

Just keep keeping on. :)