Here is my introduction.....

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi! I'm Fat Girl Goes Vegan and I'm definitely new to this. I was diagnosed with AFib in 2017 and in 2020 my cardiologist recommended I go plant based. I dabbled a bit in 2020 but that didn't last long. I am here for good now, I know it is the best thing for my heart and my health. But I do need lots of guidance! I look forward to checking out the information here.

By the way, for more of my story, I have just started a blog www.fatgirlgoesvegan.com I really did the blog for myself so I can document my journey and progress.

Thanks! Glad to be here.

FG

Welcome aboard and congrats on your decision to get serious about being vegan.

Just being vegan is not always the healthiest thing you can do. There are a lot of vegan products that are not healthy. and some that are just as bad as their non-vegan counterparts. Some of the vegan faux meats are almost as bad for your health as meat.

Maybe The Thing you should be learning about is how to be a Whole Foods Plant-Based Vegan. Plenty of books and videos on the subject. And a lot of the WFPB advice for WFPB are weight loss diets as well.

There are quite a few Doctors who promote WFPB. Forks Over Knives is sort of the grand daddy of the movement and they now have bunches of books, movies, web pages, and YouTube videos.

Some of the big names in the WFPB field are Gregar, Fuhrman, Campbell, McDougal, Esselstyn, Kahn, and Barnard. You don't have to read all of them. Mostly they are about the same with just a little twist, emphasis, or shading to make them their own.

I think the ones that best emphasize heart health are Essestyn's and Kahn's. The ones that are maybe the best weight loss guides are Gregar, Fuhrman, and Barnard.

But like I said they are all mostly the same. They all recommend to minimize highly processed foods like oil and sugar.

Maybe a trip to the library or book store and a little browsing and skimming will help you decide. there are also other authors but the field is getting huge and I haven't kept up.

I'm mostly a book person so I do my best learning with reading. but if you prefer videos then Gregar's NutritionFacts or Barnard's PCRM are great places to learn.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Welcome aboard and congrats on your decision to get serious about being vegan.

Just being vegan is not always the healthiest thing you can do. There are a lot of vegan products that are not healthy. and some that are just as bad as their non-vegan counterparts. Some of the vegan faux meats are almost as bad for your health as meat.

Maybe The Thing you should be learning about is how to be a Whole Foods Plant-Based Vegan. Plenty of books and videos on the subject. And a lot of the WFPB advice for WFPB are weight loss diets as well.

There are quite a few Doctors who promote WFPB. Forks Over Knives is sort of the grand daddy of the movement and they now have bunches of books, movies, web pages, and YouTube videos.

Some of the big names in the WFPB field are Gregar, Fuhrman, Campbell, McDougal, Esselstyn, Kahn, and Barnard. You don't have to read all of them. Mostly they are about the same with just a little twist, emphasis, or shading to make them their own.

I think the ones that best emphasize heart health are Essestyn's and Kahn's. The ones that are maybe the best weight loss guides are Gregar, Fuhrman, and Barnard.

But like I said they are all mostly the same. They all recommend to minimize highly processed foods like oil and sugar.

Maybe a trip to the library or book store and a little browsing and skimming will help you decide. there are also other authors but the field is getting huge and I haven't kept up.

I'm mostly a book person so I do my best learning with reading. but if you prefer videos then Gregar's NutritionFacts or Barnard's PCRM are great places to learn.
Thank you so much. I agree, I do eat mostly WFPB at this time and feel best when doing so. I guess I call it vegan because that is an easy term to identify with. For the most part I avoid the processed vegan foods and cook for myself. For example, lunch today is roasted broccoli, sweet potato and red quinoa. Tonights dinner is mushroom bourguignon with mashed potatoes. You get the drift. I appreciate your reading suggestions. Dr Greger and his daily dozen is something I try to follow. I also follow PlantStrong and the Esselstyns. I will check out the other suggestions.

Appreciate you!

welcome welcome and congrats on your decision to not only be vegan but to make your lifestyle a WFPB one which is awesome for health and weight

@Lou has given you some great suggestions and one of the ways I have been able to stay on track is by watching lots of the WFPB vegans on youtube including Simnett Nutrition, High Carb Hannah, Plantiful Kiki, Ellen Fisher, Cheap Lazy Vegan, and many others who may use more oil than I am comfortable with and yet have some great recipes and ideas.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou