Hemp seeds

Gisele

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Pescetarian
Hi guys, I’m newly vegetarian trying to turn vegan in a country where products are not available so I’m trying to make them myself. I would love some pointers.
Like when it come to hemp seeds I found the raw ones with the crispy shells, but I see a lot of recipes call for hulled. My question is: is hulled hemp the same as if I soak and cook the seeds?
Thank u in advance
Gisele

I checked my pantry, I don't have any hemp seeds right now. but I think they just like flax and chia. But I won't swear to it.
I have flax and chia seeds in my pantry. they are both "whole". I use my coffee grinder to grind them before I add them to recipes.

Reactions: Gisele
Hi guys, I’m newly vegetarian trying to turn vegan in a country where products are not available so I’m trying to make them myself. I would love some pointers.
Like when it come to hemp seeds I found the raw ones with the crispy shells, but I see a lot of recipes call for hulled. My question is: is hulled hemp the same as if I soak and cook the seeds?
Thank u in advance
Gisele

without the shell they are called Hemp Hearts and that is how I normally buy and eat them and you can eat them with the shells on also but for use in a recipe I would think the hearts would be the way to go

welcome to the forum and congrats on your life choice - the good part of being vegan is that most foods are already vegan, especially whole foods like fruits, veggies, rice, pasta, beans, hummus, breads, falafel, whole grains, chick peas, baba ganoush and so on

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I had some toasted hemp seeds that seemed unshelled. It was like eating popcorn with many hulls, I didn't enjoy them at all!
The shells on hemp seeds are far thicker than chia or flax
I used to have such a big jar of seeds as a teenager, but was afraid to eat them :p

I do like hemp hearts and just finished a bag--use them in oats or those date-nut-oat snacky bars I make

Reactions: Gisele and Emma JC
Thank you all for your replies. I don’t personally know any vegan people what makes ur replies priceless.
I thought the hard thing was gonna be craving the foods I was used to but it’s not, the more I stay away from meats and dairy the more I reject them. This feels natural to me.
This is why I’m putting all my energy this year on learning, finding and making vegan alternatives.

if you would like some suggestions for 'alternatives' you can watch the youtube channel Edgy Veg - she specializes in making regular foods into vegan foods

Emma JC

Reactions: Gisele and Lou
if you would like some suggestions for 'alternatives' you can watch the youtube channel Edgy Veg - she specializes in making regular foods into vegan foods

Emma JC

I will thank u

Reactions: Emma JC