Help with vegan website

Fran

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,
I have made a website for my university project for vegans and I need people to test it please. The link is: Login
It is specifically for Preston but I just need anyone to test it even if you're not from there. It's ok to put in made up entries just to test it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

To be honest your site is pretty horrible.

First, it's visually unappealing, site is mostly white and has no theme that would set it apart in positive manner, picture on home page is way too big and not that appetizing, pictures in specifics nearby subsections section are too small, can't be clicked on to enlarge them, should be in right upper corner below respective title and perhaps nicely framed.

Two, too little content. There is next to nothing of written text on your site, there is next to no explanation of what is goal of this site on home page, in fact home page should function sort of as news section or function as a section briefly introducing other sections peaking interest. Your terms and conditions section, really have nothing to do with terms of service as it doesn't establish agreement between user and service provider.

Functionality wise, it's pretty counter-intuitive, community section should have visually outlined forums (perhaps sub-forums as well) dedicated to a specific things for an example fashion, politics, philosophy. It should inform who last posted, when, views of the topic . Login has no function to remind password. Search function is bare boned as it doesn't have basic options such as searching for date/time period, distinguishing between threads and posts etc. in addition it should be on the bar and lesser. Also some of your subsections aren't working for an example My faves subsection in both section upon clicking doesn't do anything,.

So as site it's poor quality one, maybe it will pass as a school project depending what it's that you're trying to achieve with that. If creating decent quality site then it simply isn't one.

Fran - ignore Max. Nearly all his posts are hate posts. The mods tolerate him for some reason - maybe they are paid per member and thus don't like banning people. I was going to leave VF because of him but I think he needs me to keep check as the mods won't. I will take a look at your site in due course. Don't let anybody put you off.

Reactions: Lou
Fran - ignore Max. Nearly all his posts are hate posts. The mods tolerate him for some reason - maybe they are paid per member and thus don't like banning people. I was going to leave VF because of him but I think he needs me to keep check as the mods won't. I will take a look at your site in due course. Don't let anybody put you off.
Thank you, sure there is some useful critique in there but it is a little on the brutal side. :)

To be honest your site is pretty horrible.

First, it's visually unappealing, site is mostly white and has no theme that would set it apart in positive manner, picture on home page is way too big and not that appetizing, pictures in specifics nearby subsections section are too small, can't be clicked on to enlarge them, should be in right upper corner below respective title and perhaps nicely framed.

Two, too little content. There is next to nothing of written text on your site, there is next to no explanation of what is goal of this site on home page, in fact home page should function sort of as news section or function as a section briefly introducing other sections peaking interest. Your terms and conditions section, really have nothing to do with terms of service as it doesn't establish agreement between user and service provider.

Functionality wise, it's pretty counter-intuitive, community section should have visually outlined forums (perhaps sub-forums as well) dedicated to a specific things for an example fashion, politics, philosophy. It should inform who last posted, when, views of the topic . Login has no function to remind password. Search function is bare boned as it doesn't have basic options such as searching for date/time period, distinguishing between threads and posts etc. in addition it should be on the bar and lesser. Also some of your subsections aren't working for an example My faves subsection in both section upon clicking doesn't do anything,.

So as site it's poor quality one, maybe it will pass as a school project depending what it's that you're trying to achieve with that. If creating decent quality site then it simply isn't one.
Hi, thanks for looking at my site. My faves doesn't do anything if you are not logged in, but perhaps I should make this more clear. I think the pizza is reasonably appealing because I like pizza, but I see what you mean. Perhaps I will but the breakfast with the cherry tomatoes first. I agree that there needs to be more content, that is a work in progress. On the community page, although there aren't different forums, there are different topics that you can tag your post with. If you click onto the topic on recently posted it will tell you who posted it and when. I have tried to keep to a simple white and green colour scheme (kind of like this site actually) but design is not my strong point so I would welcome other ideas. I do also plan to expand the tsandcs.

Hi, thanks for looking at my site. My faves doesn't do anything if you are not logged in, but perhaps I should make this more clear. I think the pizza is reasonably appealing because I like pizza, but I see what you mean. Perhaps I will but the breakfast with the cherry tomatoes first. I agree that there needs to be more content, that is a work in progress. On the community page, although there aren't different forums, there are different topics that you can tag your post with. If you click onto the topic on recently posted it will tell you who posted it and when. I have tried to keep to a simple white and green colour scheme (kind of like this site actually) but design is not my strong point so I would welcome other ideas. I do also plan to expand the tsandcs.

I suspected this may be in case but I wasn't sure if it refereed to yours, mine or someone's else favorites. However, in such case site shouldn't simply do nothing but either send user to log in page or display a small window where user can log in. In addition of that I think you should display such function on a website for unregistered user, I think it should be ascribed to section dealing with user account, something akin to this site in right upper corner where you can track your posts, reactions etc.

It's not pizza that's the issue, it's more aesthetics of this specific pizza. It looks like a chaotic mess and as such unappetizing, instead of evenly put ingredients of similar or same shape composing into a good looking whole. So in short it's not pizza cant' look good, it's just this specific pizza isn't looking good, in addition to that picture is too large and written content, also one allowing user to navigate through site on home page is lacking.Your second picture also looks like someone's half-finished meal and third is fine, it looks pretty appetizing. As for community section, yes but it also isn't very intuitive, I've to first click on specific topic to learn who posted what in a specific thread, meaning I will be taking unnecessary action to learn who posted in specific category. One that could be displayed on first page of community section. In additions Topics should be displayed in the centre of the page and visuals could be improved as I've said by presenting various sections/categories (topics in your case) in form of tablets where perhaps brief description of what each category is about. Yeah it's why I've changed look of this website on night mode, too bright, but at least this site has additional visuals that organizes various sections of the forum.You will have to work on that aspect if you want to improve your site. I would at least advise allowing use of various themes, such as one with dark colors such as black and grey with white text. If you really want to keep current colors then I recommenced use of said tablets in a green colors making it less white and having more visual elements to it.

I suspected this may be in case but I wasn't sure if it refereed to yours, mine or someone's else favorites. However, in such case site shouldn't simply do nothing but either send user to log in page or display a small window where user can log in. In addition of that I think you should display such function on a website for unregistered user, I think it should be ascribed to section dealing with user account, something akin to this site in right upper corner where you can track your posts, reactions etc.

It's not pizza that's the issue, it's more aesthetics of this specific pizza. It looks like a chaotic mess and as such unappetizing, instead of evenly put ingredients of similar or same shape composing into a good looking whole. So in short it's not pizza cant' look good, it's just this specific pizza isn't looking good, in addition to that picture is too large and written content, also one allowing user to navigate through site on home page is lacking.Your second picture also looks like someone's half-finished meal and third is fine, it looks pretty appetizing. As for community section, yes but it also isn't very intuitive, I've to first click on specific topic to learn who posted what in a specific thread, meaning I will be taking unnecessary action to learn who posted in specific category. One that could be displayed on first page of community section. In additions Topics should be displayed in the centre of the page and visuals could be improved as I've said by presenting various sections/categories (topics in your case) in form of tablets where perhaps brief description of what each category is about. Yeah it's why I've changed look of this website on night mode, too bright, but at least this site has additional visuals that organizes various sections of the forum.You will have to work on that aspect if you want to improve your site. I would at least advise allowing use of various themes, such as one with dark colors such as black and grey with white text. If you really want to keep current colors then I recommenced use of said tablets in a green colors making it less white and having more visual elements to it.
I will consider a re-design of the community page, thanks.

Hi Fran, it looks like you've made a good start with the groundwork, although of course there is always more work to be done :)

If you don't mind me asking, what technologies are you using to develop the website?

The mods tolerate him for some reason - maybe they are paid per member and thus don't like banning people.
Just to clear this up: None of this is true, as should be evident by now! Except the part about not liking to ban people, simply because I don't like it, so it's last resort. This is a not-for-profit forum, and as such it's running with a loss by design. And we're not paid anything by anyone, except a few members contribute a small annual sum to help cover some of the costs.

Hi Fran, it looks like you've made a good start with the groundwork, although of course there is always more work to be done :)

If you don't mind me asking, what technologies are you using to develop the website?

Just to clear this up: None of this is true, as should be evident by now! Except the part about not liking to ban people, simply because I don't like it, so it's last resort. This is a not-for-profit forum, and as such it's running with a loss by design. And we're not paid anything by anyone, except a few members contribute a small annual sum to help cover some of the costs.
Hi, apologies for the late reply, its just codeigniter and dreamweaver.