Help!! newvegan

DannieleElliott

Newcomer
Reaction score
hello! I am a new plant based vegan for the past month and I am having some pretty severe stomach acid issues. So bad I've even went to the emergency room when it lasted an entire day! Any advice for transitioning? I'm desperate! I really like this life style so far and don t want to have to give it up!

It would help to know what you're eating. Are you drinking soda?

fruit is very acidic
i suggest you drastically lower your fruit intake and also try find something you like that is a bit 'meaty' to eat - like fried tofu.... your stomach may still be tuned to digesting meat.

Are you drinking coffee? Coffee is also very acidic and can upset your stomach. Try having more plain foods like oatmeal, rice based dishes, shepherds pie. Avoid tomato sauce and salad dressings especially if your feeling the acid

It has to be what you're eating, unless you already had a chronic case of pyrosis/GERD before going vegan. Does it flare up worse in the evenings, when lying down or sleeping? That is GERD if it does.

Try avoiding acidic foods and beverages. Bananas are a good non-acidic fruit to satiate your fruit desires. Just do a Google search for what's high or low in acidity.

I also would consider consulting a doctor. It is recommended to see a doctor before making such a lifestyle change, anyways.

The bottom line is meat is highly acidic. So regardless, you are still better off without adding meat back into your diet. I would also evaluate what's different in your diet, aside from not eating meat. What have you added since going vegan?

Perhaps keeping a daily journal of every last thing that goes in your stomach would give you a better idea. Use a process of elimination, if necessary.

I'm also just starting out vegan. I made a delicious vegan chocolate mousse/pudding with "silken" tofu (it's very soft texture). I ate it and had a glass of white wine with it. Wine and chocolate are not a good mix for me. I ate it again without the wine and felt great. Food combinations can "teach" you what works for your body and what doesn't. As suggested above I would keep a journal of what you're eating. That has helped me tremendously in figuring out what works. I also avoid a lot of citrus since it's very acid. I'll only have a small tangerine if I have citrus.