Help! milk advice needed

D

Deleted member 2940

I am just in the process of moving to a vegan diet. I can live without cheese and eggs; soya yoghurt and ice cream are ok; but I can't find a palatable milk substitute. I've tried soya, oat and cashew but can't manage and make me feel nauseous. I usually get through quite a lot of milk in porridge, on cereal and in tea & coffee.

Can anyone recommend milk alternatives? Are some brands better than others? And what about enviromental and health issues?

Any suggestions really appreciated.

Reactions: Plant-based Plans
Hi Sara, welcome to the forum :)

Do you like Tahini (sesame seed butter)? If you have a blender and a little Tahini you can make it quick and easy. Just add a desired amount of Tahini and enough water to cover, blend, add more water (amount depends on how concentrated you want) and blend again. Adding a little sweetness (Tahini is slightly bitter) is as easy as adding some natural fruit juice (or what I often do, date syrup).

Btw, Tahini (the un-hulled kind) is loaded with Calcium.

Reactions: Luis Halson
We usually drink almond milk. It's thin like cow skim milk. I'm guessing it would probably be the closest to cow milk. Not sure what country you are in but I usually buy mine at aldis. Silk brand is also good but it's a little thicker. Have you tried coconut milk? It does have a coconut taste to it if you like coconut. There's also rice and hemp milk. Rice milk is a little sweet and I haven't had hemp milk in a long time so I couldn't give you an opinion on that.

Have you tried rice milk?
If you say you don't like soya, you can reduce using it to minimum and use a little from different milks - one day this the other day that. Almond milk, rice milk. You can sweeten almond milk with strawberry so it will tast different. Or you can make a cold brew coffee with almond milk coz it is still vegan.
Rice milk is a good source of calcium and it is the least allergenic.
Almond milk is a source of Vitamin D and A.

Reactions: Luis Halson
Milk, the stuff in the cartons, was the very first thing I quit drinking. Even before I became vegetarian.
Mostly because I became so aware of the abuse of dairy cows. but also because it was so easy. Just buy some soy milk.

I think at first I didn't like the taste of soy milk. but that didn't bother me. I rarely drank it straight. Once you put it on cereal or use it to make oatmeal, or make it into a smoothie, you can't really taste it at all. But now I don't mind the taste of it at all. In fact, I prefer it over regular cow's milk. So I think its just a "taste thing". You get used to it.

There are lots of brands of at the market, so I would recommend you try all of them. they do taste a little different. Also, they have different flavors. I usually buy "light vanilla". I think it tastes good enough to drink straight. and it's just sweet enough so that I don't have to add any sweetener to my oatmeal. If you buy some and don't like it - i bet you can use it for smoothies. Add Peanut butter and chocolate - it will taste pretty good. :)

The big reason I stick with soymilk is the protein. It has way more than most of the other plant milks.

Right now almond milk is the most popular. And it seems like everyone loves cashew milk. the new kid on the block is Pea Milk. it's very nutritious.

As far as health and environmental issues go - every plant milk beats the heck out of cow's milk.

You may have heard some bad stuff about soy but all of it is made up by the dairy industry or the Weston A Price Foundation. Soy is very healthy. As far as environmental issues go. Soy uses a lot less water than the nut milks. but they all use less water than dairy.

Oh, and when buying soymilk look for organic soy milk. Farmers who grow non-organic soy use GMO seed, and the beans are swimming in herbicides.

Not cheap, but gosh I sure love Ripple (pea). It comes in non-sweetened plain, sweetened plain, vanilla, and chocolate. It's my absolute favorite non-dairy milk. The problem I have is finding it. It's always sold out here.

I'm fine with soy milk, but I guess it's all a matter of taste.

As far as hemp heart milk goes, it's okay, but not my personal favorite.

My favorites:

1/ Pea
2/ Soy
3/ Coconut
4/ Nut milks

Reactions: Lou
Hello and welcome!
I guess it's a matter of shopping around. Personally I like chocolate flavoured soya milk best. They also do vanilla flavour and strawberry flavour too.

In the winter, I keep some chocolate flavored soymilk in the frig. I won't use it for cereal but it not only makes a good base for banana and Peanut butter smoothies, but I love to indulge myself with hot chocolate milk on cold, windy, rainy days. The brand of chocolate soymilk is great, too. Carrageenan free, organic North American soybeans, and free trade cocoa.

There is another company, Calafia (sp?), that makes a chocolate flavored cashew/coconut milk blend.

Light Vanilla is my default. Although I frequently get plain to use in cooking.

Also, I don't have a problem with having two open containers in the frig. Soy milk (and in general all plant milks) last a long time in the frig.

Some of them have loads of sugar in so it's worth seeking out unsweetened versions and reading the labels until you're used to what's what, especially if you're going to be using a lot of it.

I'd suggest coconut and rice variants - coconut was the first that I actually l enjoyed in coffee.

Honestly, though, you might find different cooking methods work better with your new ingredients. Personally I'm not hugely keen on porridge with any plant milk, but overnight oats are delicious with it. It takes a while to find what works for you, but you'll get there

I would stick with soya, its the most 'normal' tasting and after a while it just becomes your normal. Make sure to get unsweetened and buy the fresh stuff in the fridges not the long life UHT ones.

I am just in the process of moving to a vegan diet. I can live without cheese and eggs; soya yoghurt and ice cream are ok; but I can't find a palatable milk substitute. I've tried soya, oat and cashew but can't manage and make me feel nauseous. I usually get through quite a lot of milk in porridge, on cereal and in tea & coffee.

Can anyone recommend milk alternatives? Are some brands better than others? And what about enviromental and health issues?

Hi Sara,
We have found a milk substitute just like the real thing! It's called Mylk, it's available in Waitrose or direct from Rebel Kitchen and they have a website. I don't like any other milk in tea or coffee but make sure you put in cup first which avoids separation
I'd welcome your opinion if you try it! It is sooooo good!

Loads of alternatives out there but I find they are full of rubbish ingredients.

My basic rule of thumb is if there is a long word on any packet I don't understand, it's not natural so I don't buy it.

There is a rice milk I found which only has four ingredients and is readily available in the U.K. For about £1.00

I've stopped buying Silk. It's been bought up by a big multinational and now the carton does not have the label "organic". Still says Non-GMO. The company says their growers are still organic. but that they are not spending the money on the certification. But that could be bad, too.

I buy WildWood now. My market only caries plain unsweetened. and there are no "rubbish ingredients", IMHO. Oh, I guess carrageenan is a bit of grey area. It's a plant-derived thickener (tree sap maybe?). WildWood is a California based regional company - so it's not available everywhere. The big benefit of the plain unsweetened is that you can use it in cooking.

When I'm at Trader Joe's I always pick up some of their Light Vanilla which is still my favorite. The Trader's Joes uses organic vanilla and I'm pretty sure doesn't include carrageenan.

The other "rubbish ingredients" is sugar (like 10 grams), calcium and vitamins A, D, B2, B12.

Oh. I just had to look it up.

Carrageenan, which is the hardest word I have learned to spell this year, is an emulsifying agent derived from seaweed.

Carrageenan is not digestible and has no nutritional value.

Its safety is also questionable.

A lot of companies are eliminating carrageenan from their products. For sure, you could check the ingredients. but here is a list

https://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/

Quick easy cheap milks....

Banana, water and spin in a bullet. Hardly notice the banana taste. Great for cereal /granola / porridge etc.

Rolled oats, water, spin, put through a sieve/cheesecloth. I haven't made this one yet, saw it on youtube (cheap lazy vegan)

ALMOND MILK Video
RECIPE: 1-1.5 cups soaked, raw almonds 4 cups filtered water 1 medjool date 1/2 tsp vanilla, put through a cheesecloth or similar.

Haven't made this one myself yet either although I have made almond butter.

Emma JC

I dont know about plain milk, but I really like Ripples chocolate milk. Its made from peas and its heavy like whole milk. Its a little expensive but worth a try.

Have you tried Almond Milk?

And honestly, there are lots of things to drink that are not milk. Perhaps you can just leave milk.....I'm not preaching. I don't care. But if those listed make you nasueous you can replace it.....if you want to.

Thank you for the warm welcome. At the moment I am learning from reading some interesting posts. Since i am not so knowledgeable on some of what I read; I prefer to refrain from making any suggestions or comments.

I write a vegan blog where I did tons of research about milk alternatives. You might want to check that out. It may help you to choose a plant based milk because I also had a lot of trouble in the beginning. I usually drink soy now because it is fortified with b12 and other vitamins which is very beneficial. Check it out here Got (Soy) Milk? Comparison of Milk Substitutes – My Plant Based Journey