Help. Mean, biting ants in the house

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Last year I had the usual small ants during the summer, and I would try to just sweep them out the door. They were a pain, but not causing too much trouble and didn't want to kill them. My cats actually liked them and would roll around on the ant trail. They gave off a sweet smell when crushed, and apparently it's like cat nip to the cats. That's how I usually knew they were back, when the cats would be rolling around on the ground. :p
Anyway, this year is different. I have larger, biting ants. They actually leave a welt when they bite and they are everywhere. I first tried doing the same thing, sweeping them out the door, but I can't keep up with them. They are coming from between the carpet and the wall. I tried blocking the spot they are coming through, but they just move down an inch and come right back. They are also coming through any tiny crack in the all or where the counters join the wall.
The other day I had to go to the store, so I changed clothes real quick. My work clothes are stained and torn from the animals, so I try not to wear them when I leave. I had some treats for the squirrels in the pants pocket and just tossed them on the couch. When I got back, I changed back into them and all of a sudden I started to feel small sharp pains. They had found the treats in the pocket and were all over the pants. I went to find something else to wear, came back and they were covering the kitchen counter. I freaked out and started washing them down the drain. I was so tired of being constantly bitten. Then I felt horrible because I know they are just trying to find food to survive.

I finally decided to look up what they are, and they appear to be carpenter ants. :eek: Which explains why they are coming through the walls. Actually they are all over the yard as well. You can't go anywhere without seeing them, and if you stand in one spot for too long, you will get bit.

I don't know what to do. I'm tired of being bit, of my cats getting bit (they are almost always in their food), of not being able to put anything on the counter, and jumping when I feel the slightest touch. I elbowed my cat the other day. :( He came up behind me and touched the back of my arm. I jumped and shook my elbow thinking it was one of those ants. I feel terrible if I kill them, but I don't know of an alternative.
Any suggestions?

*sigh* I think at this point you should just throw in the towel and call an exterminator. They outnumber you. Yes, even though they are just trying to survive, they are waging a war on you because they have you feeling outnumbered and helpless. And I'm concerned that when you're not around to protect him, your cat could be seriously bitten by a lot of them. There is no reason to be so frightened and jumpy. Just get rid of them.

I've had ant invasions and a cockroach invasion, and I felt no remorse in getting rid of them. Insects do have a need to survive, but when they're in your home and biting you and causing damage, then they're pests.

We had fire ants when I lived in Georgia. A guy came every month or two to spray under the house, around the walls, etc, to avoid this. I hate to say it - but I think it's time to throw in the towel on being humane. If they are the same as fire ants, they could potentially seriously harm or kill yor cat.

Reactions: thefadedone
Diat0maceus earth, spread where they come in, should solve the problem. It does kill them, though - when an insect walks through it, it cuts them up. A lot of people use it (food grade only) in their chicken houses to control mites and other parasites.

Be sure to get food grade DE, for your safety and that of your cat and other companion animals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy SF
Diat0maceus earth, spread where they come in. should solve the problem. It does kill them, though - when an insect walks through it, it cuts them up. A lot of people use it (food grade only) in their chicken houses to control mites and other parasites.

Be sure to get food grade DE, for your safety and that of your cat and other companion animals.

:up: Seriously, if this works, it's a better solution than spending money on an exterminator who brings poison into the house. It's a shame it has to kill them, but if it stops them... :shrug:

DE stops working if it gets wet, since it then clumps and the little pieces lose their sharp cutting edges, so you need to put down fresh if it gets damp.

If you want to spread it over a wide area, you can use a nylon knee high, or the foot/calf portion of a pair of panty hose, to shake it around. If you want to put down a narrow line of it, you can make a funnl out of paper, with a very small opening at the tip.

I have no idea where they are coming in. I previously found two places outside and they have been blocked, so I don't know how they are getting in now. I'm hoping there isn't a nest in the walls.

I mentioned the ants to the landlord and her response was, hopefully it cools off soon and they go away. o_O

I have no idea where they are coming in. I previously found two places outside and they have been blocked, so I don't know how they are getting in now. I'm hoping there isn't a nest in the walls.

I mentioned the ants to the landlord and her response was, hopefully it cools off soon and they go away. o_O
Carpenter ants live in damp wood and chew it up. They are often in the roof. They aren't easy to get rid of, but you can limit the ones foraging in your living space. Keep crumbs off counters and seal up all food. Boric acid mixed with jelly is a bait that is not too toxic to mammals but will decrease the foragers.

You could put DE all along your baseboards and the edges where your counters meet the walls.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can find at the store when I go shopping.

Reactions: ledboots
I thought carpenter ants could do serious damage to the structure of a house, kind of like termites. I would think this wouldn't be something the landlord would want to ignore. But maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: ledboots
Does your landlord realize how many there are? That they bite? And that they can destroy the foundation?

Does your landlord realize how many there are? That they bite? And that they can destroy the foundation?

She had never heard of them, so I explained that to her and she didn't care. I don't think she believed me, she thinks most things are made up to get money out of people. She hadn't had her septic tank pumped in over 17 years (because having it pumped is a scam to get money), so the system finally gave out. Instead of having a licensed professional replace it, she found someone who would do it for $50 less than the estimate from the septic company. They didn't have a license or equipment, just a print out from the internet on how to do it. There is often a sewage odor outside her house now.

She also gives her dogs chocolate occasionally because she doesn't believe it's toxic. o_O When I got here she was feeding her ducks pig pellets, bread and bird cracked corn, she said she wasn't going to buy duck food when she had other things they would eat, even if none of those things are good for them. :fp: I ended up buying them duck food, I couldn't stand to see them eat that crap.

Anyway, she's not all there, and it's impossible to reason with her. I've tried talking to her son, but he isn't all that bright and does whatever she says. I also told him about the ants and he didn't care since he doesn't live here, and he did know what carpenter ants are.

:fp:

Calliegirl, it's time to move.
I've been saying that since about a month after I got here. :p

But I take care of the animals, and don't know what will happen to them if I leave. She is letting me find homes for one of the cockatoos and a dog, but so far no takers. :( If I can get enough of the animals into good homes, I'll feel much better about leaving.
Anyone looking for a cockatoo or super friendly chow/shepherd mix? :dog:

If she won't help, I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you have a legal lease with her? There has to be someone to complain to about it, there's certain standards landlords have to give.