Help! I'm starving!

Sandal

Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm a super pregnant, active, lifelong vegetarian who recently developed a dairy allergy. Since cutting out dairy, I've tried to up my intake of whole grains, legumes, and other protein, in addition to adding more nuts, avocados, olive oil and good fats - and yet I'm starving! I've also dropped a few pounds (not good).

If I add too much "good fat," my intestines strongly object, so unfortunately it's not that simple an answer...

Help! I'd love any thoughts from people who had a difficult transition away from animal proteins and fats.

Maybe what you need is more slow carbs? Pastas, rice, bread, etc. They're caloric, though low in fat (usually) so they'll keep you full and energetic without feeling that bogged down fatty feeling.

I thought bread, pasta, and other refined carbs were the ones that spike your blood sugar quickly and then leave you feeling hungry again sooner... That's why I've been focusing on lots of whole grains, etc

Maybe Limes meant wholemeal pasta, brown rice etc? I'm not sure how much of that you should eat tho, since you're pregnant and should be gaining rather than losing weight. If I were a woman, and pregnant, I'd probably eat a little bit of both: some wholemeal and some refined grains. Tofu, avocado, hummus, bean dips, smoothies made from bananas, avocado (again!), berries, soya milk, etc. are other ideas.

We have a couple of other pregnant or formerly pregnant ladies on this board, so I hope they will chime in!

I thought bread, pasta, and other refined carbs were the ones that spike your blood sugar quickly and then leave you feeling hungry again sooner... That's why I've been focusing on lots of whole grains, etc
Brown rice and beans fill me up nicely, or whole wheat pasta. Quinoa is a great, easy, protein-filled grain that is perfect for breakfast with almond or soy milk, dried fruit, nuts, margarine, anything you'd put in oatmeal. Also substituted for rice in lots of meals.

How many weeks long are you, and has your weight gain been okay up till this loss? Is that the first loss you've had? How was your weight pre-pregnancy? I'm a nurse so very nosy. :)

Brown rice and beans fill me up nicely, or whole wheat pasta. Quinoa is a great, easy, protein-filled grain that is perfect for breakfast with almond or soy milk, dried fruit, nuts, margarine, anything you'd put in oatmeal. Also substituted for rice in lots of meals.

How many weeks long are you, and has your weight gain been okay up till this loss? Is that the first loss you've had? How was your weight pre-pregnancy? I'm a nurse so very nosy. :)

Nosy is just fine :)

I was a little plump pre-pregnancy (10 lbs over), so I didn't worry when I lost first trimester. After that initial loss, weight gain has been fine up until I lost a few then stalled out at 7.5 mos or so with this new diet. Now I'm at 8.5 and baby's still measuring fine, but I am STARVING and not gaining.

I feel like I can never fit enough beans and rice in! I've gone through a lot of quinoa in the past month, too :) My stomach gets full but I'm not satiated, if that makes sense.

Are you interested in tahini, hummus, peanut butter...that sort of thing? You can have it on sandwiches/crackers/veg or put the nut butters in smoothies. How about tofu, seitan or tempeh to help you feel fuller? Could throw some soy yogurt into things for extra calories too. Coconut butter/oil can help as well, though the saturated fat might be a concern.

Are you interested in tahini, hummus, peanut butter...that sort of thing? You can have it on sandwiches/crackers/veg or put the nut butters in smoothies. How about tofu, seitan or tempeh to help you feel fuller? Could throw some soy yogurt into things for extra calories too. Coconut butter/oil can help as well, though the saturated fat might be a concern.

I'm a bit concerned over the estrogen-mimickers in soy, so I tend to go easy on it. I'm open to having my mind changed, though.

It also pretty much rules out smoothies, because without yogurt or soy, it's tough to find a protein base for all of that sugar!

I do try to get my nut butters in, but I could probably do a better job of it. I've never had plain tahini - I'll try it!

Plain tahini may be an aqcuired taste, e.g. on bread, but it's good for certain dishes. E.g. I like it on oven-cooked cauliflower. It's probably easier to like mixed in stuff like home made hummus.

The dangers of soy seems to be largely fabricated by the dairy industry and followers of the infamous Weston A. Price Foundation.

I agree, I don't worry about soy, I read up on it. I know it is hard to eat enough when the baby is taking up all the room! ;) Frequent small meals is the way to go late in the pregnancy. I know twin moms often wake up at night to eat. An extra handful of almonds here, a glass of soymilk there, a little extra dressing and sunflower seeds and raisins on the salad, it all adds up. You're probably having to sit a lot at 8.5 months along, so grab some trail mix and a glass of orange juice before you sit down. Also, protein bars like clif can be eaten pretty easily. Spread a little peanut butter on it and it's even better. I'm really hungry now. :D
Congratulations on your coming baby! Pics when he/she is born please!

Do you have any good references for the soy? I'd love to read more!

led, what is this "sitting down" you refer to? It sounds like a beautiful thing ;)

I swear that I'm constantly snacking! Hummus, guac, pistachios, homemade trail mix, apples and peanut butter, dried and fresh fruit... but I always feel either full or sick to my stomach before I feel not hungry. If the scale wasn't telling me otherwise I'd say that it's psychosomatic because I know it sounds crazy, but it's a battle just to keep my weight up!

Has no one else had this problem while transitioning diets?

Do you have any good references for the soy? I'd love to read more!
If you try googling for info, it can be quite overwhelming since there is a bit of a info-war on the topic. So going by people I trust on nutrition issues, I could recommend e.g. Jack Norris who has a very detailed and sobering article here:
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth

I'm a bit concerned over the estrogen-mimickers in soy, so I tend to go easy on it. I'm open to having my mind changed, though.

It also pretty much rules out smoothies, because without yogurt or soy, it's tough to find a protein base for all of that sugar!

I do try to get my nut butters in, but I could probably do a better job of it. I've never had plain tahini - I'll try it!

They also make almond and coconut milk yogurts instead of soy now. Not sure if you'd be able to find them in your area though. :(

As for the protein base in smoothies, how about PB ? PB + bananas + chocolate almond milk?

I am currently in treatment for breast cancer. Soy was one thing I specifically asked my oncologist about.

She told me there is little evidence to suggest that moderate amounts (up to three servings per day) of soy foods cause any problems. "Soy foods" are things like tofu, soy milk, tempeh, miso, edamame, etc. She did caution me to limit or avoid highly processed foods containing soy protein isolates and similar additives.

The main concern with soy is the phytoestrogens, which are naturally found at fairly low levels in soy. In fact, phytoestrogens are found in a lot of foods: pretty much all beans, walnuts, sesame, flax, squash, broccoli, prunes, wheat... Yet I never hear warnings to avoid chickpeas or whatever due to the phytoestrogen content. http://http://www.livestrong.com/article/83849-foods-contain-phytoestrogen/

They're more of an issue when artificially concentrated, such as the protein isolates that are used in processed foods. Those pretty much all come from soy, which is why we hear the "soy is bad" arguments.

I don't have a link to a particular study, so I understand if you don't go eat a big block of tofu based on this post. I just wanted to share what my doctor shared with me. :)

Thanks to everyone for the input! As it turns out, I'm allergic to dairy, soy, and chocolate and I eventually figured out how to make my diet work for me. I still didn't end up gaining as much weight as I was supposed to, but I ended up with a 9.5 lb baby, so apparently he got everything he needed one way or another!