Help-A friend gave me a giant zucchini

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I thought I would make a stuffed zucchini. but I'm not sure.
any good suggestions?

I'd probably make a moussaka, but sub zucchini for eggplant. It would use a lot of it and it tastes great, even leftovers!

Even a veggie lasagna with zucchini instead of the pasta would be a treat.

Reactions: beancounter and Lou
I'd probably make a moussaka, but sub zucchini for eggplant. It would use a lot of it and it tastes great, even leftovers!

Even a veggie lasagna with zucchini instead of the pasta would be a treat.

But this is a very overripe zucchini.

Reactions: Lou
Thanks.
Yeah, I saw that website, too.
I'll wait a while longer and see if anyone else has a suggestion. Maybe just do plan A and do a stuffed Zucchini. I saw some asparagus on sale last time I was at the store.

or maybe that minestrone soup she wrote about.

When you say overripe, has it gone off? If not, cook it in the same manner as a normal sized courgette/zuchinni.

If it's just super-sized but still as tender-skinned as any other courgette then I'd quarter it lengthways and then use in some courgette and dill pickle. If you don't end up doing that, I'd urge you to get some courgettes or cucumbers anyway just so you can make the pickle, 'cos it's wonderful.

I'd make a big ratatouille, and freeze most of it.

Keep the yellow one to have on porridge or in smoothies though ;)

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I used to live in a community where everyone had a garden. This time of year, they used to post warnings to people to lock their cars when parking in the village. Otherwise you were likely to find the back seat full of zucchini!

I stuffed my first lethal-weapon-sized zucchini. It was as big around as your, but twice as long!

we often eat them raw and dip them, like carrots/celery/cucumber - they are also great in any tomato sauce pasta dish as they pair so well with tomato

if you make a bean/lentil soup they will enhance it

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
I would shred it and make zucchini breads and muffins, then freeze them. I usually use banana as well in those recipes.

Also, you can make zucchini cakes, which are like faux crab cakes. They are delicious and easy to make.
Here's the recipe I use that a friend gave me years ago:

2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup fine plain breadcrumbs
Equivalent of 1 egg beaten (I use EnerG egg replacer)
2 TBS melted vegan butter
2 to 3 TBS Old Bay seasoning
4 TBS flour
1 small onion finely chopped

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients well (you might have to use your hands for this after the initial mixing). Shape into patties. Heat a mixture of vegan butter and oil over medium heat, then fry patties until they start to turn brown (I get them good and brown). Flip and do the same on the other side. Drain on a paper towel. Serve with vegan tartar sauce.

You can broil them according to the recipe, but I've never tried that.

One batch makes five or six patties, depending on how big you make them. These are a hit with my family. My mother regularly requests them.

Also, these freeze really well after cooking. I've eating them months after I made them. Microwave them frozen for 1:30 and they are good to go.

Reactions: silva and Emma JC
Thanks for all your helps. I will bookmark this thread and if I get another giant Zuke I will look back at your suggestions.
Last night I made a stuffed zucchini, I used a combination of the inside of the Z, chopped asparagus, and chopped carrots. It came out ok, I had half for dinner last night. I reheated a quarter of it today for lunch and it was better than it was the day before.

I would shred it and make zucchini breads and muffins, then freeze them. I usually use banana as well in those recipes.

Also, you can make zucchini cakes, which are like faux crab cakes. They are delicious and easy to make.
Here's the recipe I use that a friend gave me years ago:

2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup fine plain breadcrumbs
Equivalent of 1 egg beaten (I use EnerG egg replacer)
2 TBS melted vegan butter
2 to 3 TBS Old Bay seasoning
4 TBS flour
1 small onion finely chopped

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients well (you might have to use your hands for this after the initial mixing). Shape into patties. Heat a mixture of vegan butter and oil over medium heat, then fry patties until they start to turn brown (I get them good and brown). Flip and do the same on the other side. Drain on a paper towel. Serve with vegan tartar sauce.

You can broil them according to the recipe, but I've never tried that.

One batch makes five or six patties, depending on how big you make them. These are a hit with my family. My mother regularly requests them.

Also, these freeze really well after cooking. I've eating them months after I made them. Microwave them frozen for 1:30 and they are good to go.
Do you sweat out the shredded zucchini first? With salt in a colander? Every recipe I see does that. and I always feel to lazy to do it :laughing:
I forgot I have Old Bay. I used to use it a lot, but it's sat around probably a year without being used!

Do you sweat out the shredded zucchini first? With salt in a colander? Every recipe I see does that. and I always feel to lazy to do it :laughing:
I forgot I have Old Bay. I used to use it a lot, but it's sat around probably a year without being used!
No, the moisture is actually good for the cakes. I love Old Bay. I season fries with it. It reminds me of the "crab fries" I used to get at Phillies' games when I was living in Philly. Loaded with Old Bay!

Reactions: silva
No, the moisture is actually good for the cakes. I love Old Bay. I season fries with it. It reminds me of the "crab fries" I used to get at Phillies' games when I was living in Philly. Loaded with Old Bay!
Wonderful <3
Bugs me when recipes call for squeezing out liquid, then adding it back.
I'll get a big one tomorrow and do these!
Oh--fries with Old Bay! Yeah, I'll have to move it up to the front

• Love
Reactions: PTree15